Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Occasional Pulling

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm

So, I've recently been having this issue where sometimes my car will pull to the right. Sometimes it's mild, and sometimes it pulls pretty hard. Sometimes it drives perfectly straight.

I had an alignment at the beginning of the summer since I put struts on last fall and parked it shortly after.

My initial thought was one of my calipers could be hanging up, but I've felt my wheels after driving with the issue going on, and none of them feel hot. It brakes normal.

Other thought was possibly super worn control arm bushings? They're original as far as I know...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

Name : Curtis
Merit : 0

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

I just changed my control are and they were really worn, but I didn't have any pulling. Can you see any visible tears or damage in the control arm bushings? Have you checked for any play in the wheels or inspected the tie rods and sway bar links? Are the tires in good condition. If they are questionable swap them and see if there is any change.
Back to top Go down
JR3800

Name : Jake
Merit : 0

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 pm

My buddy had a weird pulling problem, sounds similar to your issues. It would pull to the left sometimes to the right especially after he drove it hard, yet sometimes it was fine. (it was an 01' lesabre) turned out to be the subframe bushings. They were rusted and the rubber was old and dry rotted and cracked, so after driving as the cars weight would shift from left to right front to back the subframe would shift causing alignment issues. But i mean the car was a heap and he beat the ever living out of it so in your case there's a good chance its something else, but none the less its a possibility.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 8:57 pm

RvieraRider wrote:
Have you checked for any play in the wheels or inspected the tie rods and sway bar links? Are the tires in good condition.

^^^This, specifically the inner tie rods and tie rod ends. Also, check for loose lower ball joints. Sway bar links shouldn't cause the car to pull, and bad/under-inflated tires usually will pull only to one side, which could indicate an alignment issue.

Tip: if this turns out to be any part related to alignment (tie rod, ball joint, control arm), you will need to have the car aligned. If you take the car in for alignment first, the tech should find any issue with the car on the lift, and should tell you before performing the alignment. This is a free inspection of sorts. Be sure use a shop you trust - else you could end up with an alignment on the car with worn suspension parts!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 9:00 pm

AA wrote:
else you could end up with an alignment on the car with broken suspension parts!

THIS. gurmblegrumble wobbly wheel bearing grumblegrumble 3 alignments grumblegrumble....
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm

I'd seriously look for a new shop after that. Or buy the unlimited alignment package.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 7:40 am

I've only found one shop that I trust, and they don't have an alignment rack.  cry

The shop I had do my alignment and put on new tires left a sour taste in my mouth. Tires were uneven pressure when I picked the car up, my rims were super dirty, and they just treated me like I was an idiot or something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Occasional Pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Occasional Pulling   Occasional Pulling Empty

Back to top Go down

Occasional Pulling
Page 1 of 1