Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

sensor location

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
slugranch
Amateur

Name : Gary Miller
Merit : 0

sensor location Empty
PostSubject: sensor location   sensor location EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Assuming coolant sensor is the culprit, as the fans come on when A/C is turned on, but don't come on when car is sitting at a stop light. Where is the sensor? Looked all around the thermostat housing (gooseneck), and no luck. Girlfriend's car. 95, v/6 supercharged. Auto parts gy and I searched for a few minutes and never located it.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

sensor location Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensor location   sensor location EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:47 pm

It can take a surprising amount of time for the fans to turn on while sitting at a light. The low speed fan won't kick on until 212 degrees F. Perhaps find someone that can scan the car's PCM to watch for the coolant temperature sensor data, and watch the fans when it gets up there.

But, the sensor itself is located under the throttle body/above the exhaust crossover above the transmission case tucked in to the side of the lower intake manifold. Has a two-wire plug plugged into the end of it.

EDIT: That sensor very VERY rarely goes bad.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

sensor location Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensor location   sensor location EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Yea, I get paranoid about my fans kicking in all the time. Leave the car parked while on and watch the temp gauge. Mine ended up kicking on at like 215
Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

Name : Gary Miller
Merit : 0

sensor location Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensor location   sensor location EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 4:38 pm

I think I will use my Infrared Thermometer and see what the temp of the coolant going into the radiator is and then see is the fan(s) come on,,,,,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sensor location Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensor location   sensor location Empty

Back to top Go down

sensor location
Page 1 of 1