Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

Name : Jeff Del Vechio
Merit : 4

Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv Empty
PostSubject: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey Guys...

My AC started slowly getting warmer last fall.

It took about 3 weeks but it now wont cool at all.

Compressor runs and the low-side goes down to the normal amount of pressure (~about 35PSI). when the comnpressor is off the static pressure is about 90PSI.

The compressor stays on and does not cycle. the low-side plumbing does not get cool.
I put a small amount of freon in it but it did nothing.
I have not checked the pressure on the high-side of the system.

The blend door seems to be operating just fine and it cycles to the different zones properly.

Im thinking that the accumulator is clogged or some other component like the dryer is clogged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always

Jeff
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 3:01 pm

jeffyd123 wrote:
Hey Guys...

My AC started slowly getting warmer last fall.

It took about 3 weeks but it now wont cool at all.

Compressor runs and  the low-side goes down to the normal amount of pressure (~about 35PSI). when the comnpressor is off the static pressure is about 90PSI.

The compressor stays on and does not cycle. the low-side plumbing does not get cool.
I put a small amount of freon in it but it did nothing.
I have not checked the pressure on the high-side of the system.

The blend door seems to be operating just fine and it cycles to the different  zones properly.

Im thinking that the accumulator is clogged or some other component like the dryer is clogged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always

Jeff

It could simply need recharge. I have heard but can not verify that the new refrigerant tends to leak through hoses once the hoses are past a certain age. I know that the new refrigerant *does* leak though the R12 hoses, the R12 hoses do not have the barrier layer that the new style hoses do.

I also know that in such a case it is best to use plain cans of R134 - NOT the stop-leak. There was some reason for that but I forget what. By the way you will need one of the topping-up kits that has a gauge, because if you've lost enough refrigerant for the system to stop it will take more than one can of the stuff to top it up enough to work.

A professional recharge - don't go with the cheapest one - will check for and advise you on any leaks. However, in my experience, they typically can't detect the leaking thru the rubber hoses. They will get the charge, the lubrication, and the balance right. If there are no mechanical problems, just hoses that supposedly have become porous, your AC will work for years before quitting again.

The only way the accumulator and or dryer might clog would be if the orifice valve fragged or you have mechanical failure in the compressor. Happens. But again, in a professional but not-the-cheapest recharge once the system is evacuated they replace that orifice valve anyway, it's cheap and replacing it as maintenance with a complete evac/recharge forestalls the breakage problem. You can ask them for a variable orifice valve, if they will install once for you it will cost you extra but the system will work better. From RockAuto a variable will cost you about $20 - $25 more than a fixed valve. I Don't know what the pros will charge.

All that said, you can try topping the system off and again, if there are no mechanical issues a couple cans of R134 will get it going again. Some people do annual topoffs. R134 conversions require annual or biannual recharges because the hoses are porous to R134.

G'Luck.
Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 7:27 pm

ok thanks albert....
i think i did read somewhere that a car had a similar problem and the guy recharged and it worked fine again.
Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 am

Well I took it to an AC guy and it had 2 oz of freon... so it is leaking after all. He put in leak UV dye and none showed up so its a slow leak. Im hoping to use leak seal freon to plug it.

He also said on our cars the evaporator is the likely leak. yippee....

Gonna drive it for a week and he will look again for the leak and then we should know.

Thanks for the help Albert!

Jeff
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 12:33 pm

jeffyd123 wrote:
Well I took it to an AC guy and it had 2 oz of freon... so it is leaking after all. He put in leak UV dye and none showed up so its a slow leak. Im hoping to use leak seal freon to plug it.

He also said on our cars the evaporator is the likely leak. yippee....

Gonna drive it for a week and he will look again for the leak and then we should know.

Thanks for the help Albert!

Jeff

There goes the weekend...

whatever you do don't use the common leak seal freon, it will mess with your compressor.  The common leak seal freons rely on transport of the lubricant to work, which means they don't really  stop many leaks and they cause mechanical issues.  NuCalgon has a leak seal that is transported by the freon and I heard that it works well enough that some AC manufacturers specify it as a repair. Also be sure next time the system is recharged to replace the orifice valve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv   Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning slowly got warmer - 98 riv
Page 1 of 1