Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kurt Franz
Rookie

Name : Kurt Franz
Merit : 3

Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv Empty
PostSubject: Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv   Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Folks-

Last night I recharged my partially empty system using straight R134A - no stop leak or oil or anything else. Took in about 18 oz and the compressor kicked on and the system seems to be functioning correctly (until it leaks out again)....that will be the next project I am sure...however I wanted to confirm correct operation of the system components.

That being said, here is the reason for my post:

I have the following readings with the car idling and ac on max:

low = 35
high = 175

temp last nite was probably around 75 when I did this.

are these numbers acceptable?

The reason I ask is that when the system is running I am hearing a strange noise coming from under the hood when i rev it up in park. It is definitely something AC related as it does not exist with the AC off.

I was thinking that maybe I overcharged it or something, however, the numbers I currently have do not seem to be out of the "normal" range.

Any helpful insight most appreciated.

Regards

Back to top Go down
Kurt Franz
Rookie

Name : Kurt Franz
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv   Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:28 pm

No takers eh? wink
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv   Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:38 pm

It sounds like you may have a problem with the A/C compressor. It makes sense that with the A/C turned off, it makes no noise....the A/C clutch disengages and stops the noise. It's certainly not uncommon for a compressor to go bad. It is, after all, the one component of the system with the most amount of moving parts and stress. Maybe the pistons inside the compressor are going bad? Or maybe the clutch is slipping when engaged?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv   Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm

im at a loss on ac stuff myself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv   Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning question - 97 SC Riv
Page 1 of 1