Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How do the mice get in?

Go down 
+21
word
deekster_caddy
woggy
ibmoses
ewolfe0050
Chicken
T Riley
Rickw
albertj
95RiviSC
Ash
robotennis61
AA
97Riv-Jon
jax95riv
Andysdorm
SpaceBar
Mr.Riviera
Jack the R
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

How do the mice get in? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks, I was wondering about that crease. I've got it basically right but it sticks up more than I'd like (the back piece where it folds up at the bottom). Maybe I can get it worked out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:26 pm

I removed/replaced my trunk liner yesterday, pulled out the vinylsheets I put in to deaden sound and installed some butyl/aluminum sound deadening.
Every time I R&R the liner it looks funny when I put it in and the next day it looks fine. Really, just get the edges of the back piece into the creases of the side pieces, press the rivets back in place, and screw down the net thethers and that's it. I don't think it ever really looks right going in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:07 pm

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Albert could you PM me with some info as to where you got the sound deadening insulation from.
Or post it in another place that's appropriate.
Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:23 pm

After shopping around a bit I decided to buy EDead. I bought a couple rolls off EBay. About $1 per sq ft and the vendor threw in a roller. look at the price VERY CAREFULLY as more than one vendor is selling it and the price varies somewhat. You also need to pay attention to the thickness. They sell it in 45, 80 and 120 mil thicknesses. I got the 45, which was OK but consider getting a roll of the 45 and a roll of the 80. Use the 80 in the spare tire well (it is really drummy and it took me 2 layers in the center to fix it) and under the rear seat (you would not believe what a difference that makes) and use the 45 elsewhere.

There was a comparison showing how different sound insulation stood up to heat. And another showing how much deadening was achieved (using a radio shack sound meter). EDead was not the best but by far was the least expnsive of the ones that were acceptable, The only ones better were Dynamat and Damplifier Pro, both more expensive if I recall.

Damplifier and Dynamat both probably work better than EDead - however, EDead is the probably the best of the inexpensive lines of sound damping materials. Basically, eDead is wider rolls of roofing/weatherproofing material similar to what's sold in narrow rolls at Home Depot for sealing around door and widows between the rough openings and the window/door frames. THe point is that it passes automotive flammabilty tests and has a 'mass loader' mixed in to the butyl. Think of it as a thin sheet of butyl windshield adhesive with aluminum foil on one side.

See this site (Damplifier fans) for amusing "comparisons":

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=208026

Bottom line for me was I was able to cut ambient noise in my Riv at cruise from 91 dB to 69 dB using eDead sheeting on the 'drummy' areas ('drummy' means areas tapped with screwdriver handle that did not make a dead thump but rather resonated like a drum) in the trunk and under the rear seat. It's around 50 dB at idle. Measurements taken with an electronic Radio Shack sound meter using "A" weighting. Nice explanation here:

http://www.jimprice.com/prosound/db.htm

When I earn enough surplus cash and if I am keeping this car, I am still putting on a quieter exhaust. Noisy pipes are OK for short runs but not for 2+ hour drives, I don't care what Turtle thinks.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 am

How do the mice get in? - Page 7 Xtra_fasteners

Uh oh, I seem to have a few fasteners left over no How did this happen?

I've got the two big plugs over the shocks put in - don't remember pulling a third one but here one is.

The two long cargo net fasteners, I've got no idea at all about.

Where does this stuff go?

Albertj, you're right, the carpet does look better today.

I continue to be amazed by your knowledge. How many sq. ft of the eDead did you need to do the trunk and under the rear seat? Any idea how much it weighs?
Back to top Go down
word
Special

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 pm

The long cargo net fasteners get screwed to the taillight, no clue about the plug.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Jack the R wrote:

Uh oh, I seem to have a few fasteners left over no How did this happen?

I've got the two big plugs over the shocks put in - don't remember pulling a third one but here one is.

The two long cargo net fasteners, I've got no idea at all about.

Where does this stuff go?

Albertj, you're right, the carpet does look better today.

I continue to be amazed by your knowledge. How many sq. ft of the eDead did you need to do the trunk and under the rear seat? Any idea how much it weighs?

About the fasteners:

The long cargo net fasteners go on the taillight as word wrote, just to the left and right of the plastic panel inside the trunk - the panel that surrounds the striker and forms a lip for the back edge.

The other fastener goes in the trunk carpet, in the middle at the rear seatback. There is alittle trapezoidal bump in that area, look carefully, you'll find the hole in the carpet. It probably did not line up with the hole in the panel when you put the carpet in. No big deal, just get in there and line them up.

How much eDead did I use? I bought the 50 sq ft for $49 and have used one of the two rolls they sent me. I also bought a sheet of 'mass loaded vinyl barrier' here

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

and cut a sheet to fit over some flame resistant carpet padding I put under the rear seat (be sure not to cover the battery or relay boxes; cut slits in the carpet pad and notches in the mass loaded vinyl to let the seat belts through). I used some eDead under the passenger compartment carpet to cover the drummy areas under the rear seat bolster forward anchors. I still have a roll of the stuff left and if I get a warm weekend and have soem time on my hands I'm pulling the front seats and putting some on the floors under the carpets and on the exhaust hump.

As for the edead weight, I don't recall. I bought what was on ebay at $49 for 50 SF. The shipping weight was 15 pounds for that amount.

Other than that... glad you're getting the mice out of your car for good. I kind of wonder if they tested the hardware cloth.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added eDead details)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 8:38 am

Albert,
Would you mind creating a new topic called "Sound Deadening" or something similar and posting your references for these materials and some of your experiences with the products and how to install in the Riv.
It would be very helpful to be able to look this subject up in the future as opposed to trying to remember that it was posted under the topic heading of "How do mice get in".
If you find some time and have the desire to do this it would be appreciated by all.
Even if you cut and paste the info you have already posted, would be a great help.
Thanks,
Rick
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 am

Maybe "practical sound deadening 101" - I am not an expert and I am not as obsessed with it as people you can easliy find on the 'net.

I will start the thread now and cut and paste what's here. It'll just take a few minutes (I think).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I found out what I did wrong - I had the tail light assembly out, checking for possible mouse entry points, and when I put it back on I put a couple fasters where those long hold downs go.

Everything's more or less together now. The fit could be a bit better. The rear plastic piece doesn't quite cover holes in the carpet, along the bottom edge. The tie downs on the floor didn't push into the carpet right. I'm sure I'll have the carpet out again sooner or later, I'll pay more attention to these areas next time.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 pm

How do the mice get in? - Page 7 JacktheR
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Wow. lol

It's amazing what a well fed pet will put up with.

Baby mice sure are cute. I crushed the neck of one with a shaving cream can last year. It sure was cute though. twisted
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Rickw wrote:
How do the mice get in? - Page 7 JacktheR

You could turn that kitty into a nice 'despair' poster with the caption underneath. Like the motivational posters you see various places.

APATHY

It's amazing what you'll put up with
when you just don't care anymore.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 pm

They're baaaaaaaaak!

Damn it!

The mesh cover in the trunk is still in place. They must have found a new way in.

I've got a nest in the glove compartment (favorite nesting spot).

Where else could they get in at?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:55 am

goddamnit
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:58 am

miao.....
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 2:14 am

Meeee-ow?

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 am

I didn't see it previously in the thread, but I've heard that moth-balls keep mice out. Thats what I use when barn-storing my riv for the winter and I've never had a problem.

Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Found a whole family living in the glove box of our 1 service truck at work today. Filthy little vermen. What can I say, I'm a bit of a home wrecker... twisted
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:21 pm

I usually find them in the air box of customers' cars, or nested by the fuel injectors on the LIM. Never had the pleasure of finding them in the interior though. This may have been mentioned before, but I'd check the fresh air inlet on the cowl. That's the only only way I spose they could make it through the dash and into the glove box.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Meh, it just a service truck I'm sure we'll be trading it in soon on a new 1, GM can enjoy the pleasure of dealing with the next family that moves in. They need that kind of excitement. tongue
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
GM can enjoy the pleasure of dealing with the next family that moves in.
lmao

This may be off topic, but the best thing we (the dealership) found under the hood of a car was a squirrel. Customer brought the car in for some sort of repair. I remember when the other tech started taking the air box apart. A squirrel flew out and scared the sh*t out of 'em. I'm not sure who freaked out more, the squirrel or the tech.....hilarious! lmfao

Found a kitten once too. One of the Service Advisors took it home. Cute lil guy.....glad we found it before it became Chinese Food.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 2:59 pm

I always wondered what the western chinese restaurants secret ingredient was. If thats the case then cats are DELICIOUS! smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Karma wrote:
I didn't see it previously in the thread, but I've heard that moth-balls keep mice out. Thats what I use when barn-storing my riv for the winter and I've never had a problem.
Karma, what do you do with the moth balls, just scatter them about the interior and trunk and under the hood.??????
Don't they leave a lingering odor.????
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Rickw wrote:
Karma wrote:
Karma, what do you do with the moth balls, just scatter them about the interior and trunk and under the hood.??????
Don't they leave a lingering odor.????
i would assume that you scatter them around the car on the ground so that the interior doesnt smell, but i could be wrong
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do the mice get in?   How do the mice get in? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

How do the mice get in?
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: