Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Misfire at Idle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
87TurboT
Special

Name : Anthony
Merit : 0

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Recently my 96 has been running rough at idle and I hear a faint ticking noise coming from the drivers side. (thinking EGR tube is cracked). Put a scanner on the car and I got the following codes: P0171, system bank 1 lean, and code P0300, random misfire. The car runs great otherwise, and once warm the idle isnt as erratic as a cold start. The vehicle has 188k on it at the moment.

Here are the things ive done to narrow down the issue:
Replaced all of the plugs (which needed to be done anyway)
Fuel Filter (which needed to be done anyway)
Checked Fuel pressure with a gauge (around 45 at idle, increases with rpm/boost)
Swapped around coils
Checked plug wires for rust, all looked good
Cleaned MAF

Is there anything I am missing here with the exception of changing the plug wires?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 am

codes need to be fixed but may not relate to the ticking. Ticking could be just the injectors, normal injectors may tick kinda loud. The lean condition, I wonder if you have a bum injector.

OK Riv People, any other thoughts?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
87TurboT
Special

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 4:51 am

Sounds more like an exhaust leak than injectors cycling. My thinking is wouldn't a cracked/leaking egr tube cause a lean condition? Since the vehicle is getting air into the motor after the maf that is not being accounted for? Thats my train of thought at the moment. Also, all of the vacuum hoses look to be in good condition/are all connected.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 pm

87TurboT wrote:
Sounds more like an exhaust leak than injectors cycling. My thinking is wouldn't a cracked/leaking egr tube cause a lean condition? Since the vehicle is getting air into the motor after the maf that is not being accounted for? Thats my train of thought at the moment. Also, all of the vacuum hoses look to be in good condition/are all connected.

Old rubber vacuum connectors leak. The telltale is if they are hardened.

Wires might or might not make a difference.

How long have you owned this car? Maintenance?
Back to top Go down
87TurboT
Special

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Trust me I know all about vacuum lines.. the grand nationals have miles of them! I've owned the car almost 2 years. The gentlemen I bought the car from owned it for 9. Ive done pretty regular maintenance on the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
87TurboT
Special

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 11:05 pm

I take back my previous statement. It WAS a vacuum line on the passenger side of the supercharger, just behind the pulley system. I am assuming it is a boost reference line going to the MAP sensor. Looks like it slipped right off, I zip tied it for good measure.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 9:20 pm

87TurboT wrote:
I take back my previous statement. It WAS a vacuum line on the passenger side of the supercharger, just behind the pulley system. I am assuming it is a boost reference line going to the MAP sensor. Looks like it slipped right off, I zip tied it for good measure.

once again take a hard look at those vaacline connectors.
Back to top Go down
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I use permatex Hitack on the ends of the vac lines, the stuff never dries or hardens and stays where its applied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Misfire at Idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfire at Idle   Misfire at Idle Empty

Back to top Go down

Misfire at Idle
Page 1 of 1