Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'

Go down 
+2
stan
xxdeanerxx
6 posters
AuthorMessage
xxdeanerxx
Special

Name : Ryan
Merit : 0

Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Empty
PostSubject: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Hello everyone, Ryan from Flint, Michigan here. Last week I picked up a 96 with 109k for $2600. I felt it was worth the money, everyone else might think otherwise. I have always wanted a Riviera and I recently needed a second car and had a budget of $3000 from my lovely wife. This car came across my radar and i went and drove it and loved it. The car rides pretty good but has a few problems of course, wobble above 75mph, A/C isn't working after a charge, the radio is crap, oil is leaking from somewhere (gasket?) rims are pontiac im guessing and scratches all over but I still love it. I will read all i can on here and slowly work on her. Looking forward to interacting with all of you. Take care.

Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv110
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv210
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv310
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv410
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv510
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv610
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Riv710
Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Rivier10
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Sup Ryan.Nice ride.Welcome.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 8:16 am

Welcome to the site fellow Michigander hi
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 10:12 am

Frame/cradle rust?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Welcome. It's funny your dealer pics there pretty much have both the cars I own right next to eachother. haha It's a subaru but close enough.
Looks to be in pretty nice shape. The problem rust areas are somewhat hidden from view usually but it should correspond to how the bottom of the car looks in general.
Back to top Go down
xxdeanerxx
Special

Name : Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 10:02 pm

I've had it up on the lift in the shop and have not seen much of any rust except on the brake calipers. All the paperwork in the car says Arizona but I did not get a carfax. I am sure it will rust instantly as soon as it gets a week into a Michigan winter. This is complimentary car to my pickup truck and will be my winter car also. I will take care of her best I can but it is 20 years old however you look at it. Thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 3:08 pm

xxdeanerxx wrote:
I've had it up on the lift in the shop and have not seen much of any rust except on the brake calipers. All the paperwork in the car says Arizona but I did not get a carfax. I am sure it will rust instantly as soon as it gets a week into a Michigan winter. This is complimentary car to my pickup truck and will be my winter car also. I will take care of her best I can but it is 20 years old however you look at it. Thanks for the replies.

To stave off the rust, before the winter just take the car to a self service wash, that uses pressure washers, and wash the underside with hi pressure soap, then rinse and spray on the wax. Then during the winter, you can just rinse the salt of when the temp goes above say 20F. This has worked for me for **years** to slow down rust attack.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
ubushaus
Rookie

Name : Joe Martinelli

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Welcome. I love the color! The interior looks to be in amazing condition!
I finally knocked out my oil leaks after changing valve cover and oil pan gaskets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'   Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96' Empty

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Michigan My First Riviera, 96'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: