Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal

Go down 
+30
stan
Animator
jbeganny
Sir Psycho Sexy
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
rivparadise
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
Jimdangello
rob97
96RIVMANN
NelsonRiv
dartcars
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
deekster_caddy
DEMonte1997
Rickw
IBx1
sburch23
1998 Riv
albertj
99Rivman
SuperRiv07
98riv
Shintsu
KillaKeninaRiv
AA
Jack the R
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Jul 13, 2007 1:32 am

You're all familiar with these instructions -

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal RivStereoRemoval1
write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal RivStereoRemoval2
write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal RivStereoRemoval3
write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal RivStereoRemoval4

I found they came up short in a couple places, leading to quite a bit of car repair anger mad Here are a few extra notes that might save up'n'coming Rivi dash removal experts a few minutes of fury -

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal 01

I need to pull a few more panels off since I'm trying to fix a vent vane that got pushed in. I'll take notes on that too. I know there's at least one other here who has this problem -

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal 02

Last edited by on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Jul 13, 2007 11:14 am

Thanks Jack!

EDIT: some additional images of dash cluster removal, while performing work on the column:

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6194

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6195

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6233

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6234

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6229

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal IMG_6230

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 7:19 pm

question: the previous owner of my car simply pulled the entire dash, the big peice off, and it broke off almost all of the plastic clips that hold it down along it except the bigger main ones so it looks stupid now. if i replace the dash, will the new one have the clips or were they part of the main dash that connects the dash to the actual frame underneath?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 pm

You have to do all that just to replace the radio?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:01 pm

KillaKeninaRiv wrote:
question: the previous owner of my car simply pulled the entire dash, the big peice off, and it broke off almost all of the plastic clips that hold it down along it except the bigger main ones so it looks stupid now.

Surely no one is that stupid and it was a radio thief who tore the dash up.

I think there will be pieces in the dash itself that are busted.

I've got no idea how well this would work but I've been seeing plastic welding kits in either the Eastwood or Harbor Freight catalogs.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 pm

I thought Harbor Freight went out of business? All the stores in my area closed up and there were several of them.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Shintsu wrote:
I thought Harbor Freight went out of business? All the stores in my area closed up and there were several of them.

Nope still in business.

Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 12:31 am

I got some stuff from them a couple days ago. The thing I wanted most is on backorder though :/
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 4:12 am

That sucks, I guess they just went out of business at all the local stores here. They had two or three and they all closed at the same time.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Quick Question?   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 am

I want to pull out the dash panel that goes around the gauges and then it looks like it flows in to the door to a point i know the das panel comes off but do the lil panels on door come off?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm

They do come off of the door panel, but with a lot of difficulty! With the door panel removed you can see the tabs from that panel on the inside, they are actually melted or hot glued in or something of that nature. I'm sure they can be removed, I have never done it, but you would have to hot glue them back in or something like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Dam That sucks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Why do you want the dash panels off?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Im Gonna sand them down prime them and then go with a high gloss black and then clear coat the shit out of it just to add some caracter to my interior
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I added character to my gray interior by repainting the ash tray covers in the rear. smile Went with a charcoal metallic, looks very nice. Ok ok, I was just covering up peeling paint on the lids... but it DOES look good! rotf
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Oh.

Some folks get woodgrain appliques. If I remember right they are available in black and colors too - but don't recall who from. Maybe search this editboard for links?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah I really dont like the wood grian and Im Pretty handy so doining it myself will be fun
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Do you have woodgrain on those panels now?
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:37 pm

just around the radio and gear shifter
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 am

My point was you could get black or whatever to replace/instead of the woodgrain.

The factory wood around shifter and radio is real, although it's an almost paper-thin layer of wood with a with thick layer of polyurethane over the top. When these are repaired sometimes they are replaced with fake wood.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 11:02 am

well everything is getting blacked out
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm

If I go extra slowly, extra carefully, and use these pictures as a reference to where the plastic things are, do you think I could remove the panels without breaking anything, or is it just inevitable?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I think you surely could do it without breaking stuff. Study the instructions (and posts in this thread) before you start, then read them one step at a time as you proceed, of if you get stuck. Be very, very gentle. Don't force anything unless you are sure it's free.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 1:48 pm

It seems simple enough but once I get to the wiring behind the radio that's where it'll get confusing, fast. I will have harnesses and stuff and can usually figure things out, but if there's something that's completely different then I'm screwed until I find out how it's supposed to work.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:06 pm

IBx1 wrote:
It seems simple enough but once I get to the wiring behind the radio that's where it'll get confusing, fast. I will have harnesses and stuff and can usually figure things out, but if there's something that's completely different then I'm screwed until I find out how it's supposed to work.
Then, your better off budgeting to pay someone else to do it for you.
Especially if your time to do the job is limited to school breaks and cold weather.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next