Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal

Go down 
+30
stan
Animator
jbeganny
Sir Psycho Sexy
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
rivparadise
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
Jimdangello
rob97
96RIVMANN
NelsonRiv
dartcars
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
deekster_caddy
DEMonte1997
Rickw
IBx1
sburch23
1998 Riv
albertj
99Rivman
SuperRiv07
98riv
Shintsu
KillaKeninaRiv
AA
Jack the R
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh right, winter break may be a month long for me but it's a cold month...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 am

I dunno. Out of all the cars I've screwed with (4). This was the easiest dash to take apart. Granted, there are a lot of steps but the puts are pretty sturdy. The Regal on the other hand... Ugh. Those clips are scary and could break at any time.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:46 am

That's actually pretty reassuring. If there's a nice day during the break I'll see what I can do. Seems to be straightforward, I just need to know where a good place to mount the steering wheel module and possibly bluetooth module is.

Also, how do I remove the CD player at the bottom of the center console?
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm

I lost one of the (6) black push pins that goes into the black panel that goes underneath the underhang on the top of the dash. These look like an odd piece that I can't just get at the local hardware or car parts store... Am I correct in assuming this? For now, I modified one of my smaller universal push pins to go in its place.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm

They are available from GM. I think Derek (Deekster) had mentioned a while back he had to buy them by the bag of 10. They may also be available at NAPA as they carry or can get a lot of the OEM plastic fasteners.
Try and get the OEM P/N from Derek and if he doesn't have any left, NAPA has a separate book of all Plastic fasteners for all makes with a cross-reference in the back. I have found some, not all, of the fasteners from them and they won't force you to buy the whole bag even if they have to order a bag.
At least that's been my experience with my local NAPA.

And Oh By The Way, just being nosy, but what did you have the dash of for, any new additions or regular maintenance.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info Rick-MUCH appreciated! happy

Ugh.... Let me try and explain without going into too much detail. That CC unit I bought from digitaldashsolutions caught fire over the weekend while I was driving to a stag party. It was a disaster. The darn thing was off when it happened. I smelled a very pungent odor that can only be described as burnt plastic and solder. Smoke was billowing out of the dash in the CC area. The display, to its credit, stayed on for almost 2 minutes while I cursed at it and then it finally blinked once and went out. Luckily, it didn\'t melt anything or kill anything else electronic in the dash. I purchased a used one on ebay (not sure why i didn\'t just bite the bullet and do this sooner) and installed. Everything worked perfect--->Not a great circumstance but getting a good used unit is definitely a score. I bagged it for really cheap too so I\'m happy.

Last edited by DEMonte1997 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm sorry, could you explained what burned.?
Was it new or used.?
I'm just a little confused.
Whatever it was you replaced with used, correct.?

Oh, never mind I re-read. Your Climate control Unit that you had problems with in the past.,correct.

Now that you have all this experience with taking the dash apart can I go ahead and order the wood dash kit, and you can tell me what fasteners to by ahead of time, and you'll help me install it it.
Yes or No. It's Ok if you can't help me being summer and all. Everybody, including me has a busy schedule, but because of my back and pain, I'd rather pay you for your help so I don't cripple myself.
Maybe we could plan on meeting at BillBoost's place while he's hosting one of his tuning sessions.?
If his place isn't too far from you or i could drive to your place.

Last edited by Rickw on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Yep, that one. I know a lot of people have been lucky with the vendor I purchased mine from but the one I received was junk. It was a recon with everything resoldered, new bulbs if necessary, the whole nine. Thing never worked right...

The one I replaced it with was just a used one off ebay. Came out of a 96'. Buttons look nicer and it works perfect. Hope it holds up. smile
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I do still have some of those push-pins for the black strip below the dash.
Back to top Go down
2000ws6transam
Enthusiast
2000ws6transam

Name : steve
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm

the write up for the removal is kinda mehhh with out pics ... where should i start?? i have a some vibration comming from some place inside my dash drivers side corner by the windshield/daytime running light sensor thingy it sounds like a steel thin bracket of some type by the pitch it makes when it vibrates....
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 pm

2000ws6transam wrote:
the write up for the removal is kinda mehhh with out pics ... where should i start?? i have a some vibration comming from some place inside my dash drivers side corner by the windshield/daytime running light sensor thingy it sounds like a steel thin bracket of some type by the pitch it makes when it vibrates....

Steve,
Removing the front of the dash is very easy once you have done it. I could walk you through it by phone if you think it would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
2000ws6transam
Enthusiast
2000ws6transam

Name : steve
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm

sounds like a plan! off to work here in a min thought maybe on sat.?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm

2000ws6transam wrote:
sounds like a plan! off to work here in a min thought maybe on sat.?

Sure, I'll PM you my cell

Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

PostSubject: how do i Remove the dash in my 97 riviera    write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm

i am trying to take out the stock head unit but i have no idea how to take out the dash any ideas?
Back to top Go down
NelsonRiv
Special

Name : Zach Nelson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1187-write-up-riv-dash-and-door-removal?highlight=write+-up

I believe the main access to take off the dash is to the right under the steering wheel. I have never done it. I hope tht helps
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Just PM me and I can walk you through it!write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 IMGP4432
Back to top Go down
rob97
Special

Name : rob e. armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm not able to see the pictures for the dash removal, any sugestions?
I'm new here, thanks.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:13 pm

rob97 wrote:
I'm not able to see the pictures for the dash removal, any sugestions?
I'm new here, thanks.

If you just need help removing the large flat dash piece, I could walk you through it on the phone. Not that hard. When do you want to do it?

Back to top Go down
Jimdangello
Rookie
Jimdangello

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Sorry, but where is the "write up" for removing the dash?
Was the OP deleted by any chance...?

I need to remove the dash to replace the radio.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Jim: the original photos from the write-up have been restored to the OP. The first images are low-res screen captures, but should give the general idea.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jimdangello
Rookie
Jimdangello

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 3:31 pm

AA wrote:
Jim: the original photos from the write-up have been restored to the OP. The first images are low-res screen captures, but should give the general idea.

Thanks a ton! This is exactly what i needed, a great step-by-step walk through.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Does the dashboard need to be removed to remove the trim under the steering wheel. On the 95 the traction control button is in that trim piece and I want to remove it to investigate why my button is not working.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 pm

I dont think so! Im almost positive you can completely remove the panel you're talking about without removing anything else. I know for sure you can loosen it at the bottom, cant remember if you can get it right off though!
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:31 am

Negative, You need to loosen the 7mm on each end of the dash panel and gently pry up to loosen the bottom edge. Holding it up gently you will see two 10mm bolts. One behind the headlight switch and one near the traction switch. Let us know what you find!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 pm

How do you remove the upper dash? I have a new one coming in the mail and I'd rather know before I got it as opposed to after. I've tried pulling on it with the lower dash out and it came loose, but I can't get it completely out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   write -up - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next