Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Longest life of a battery

Go down 
+2
RivGuy
playa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

Longest life of a battery Empty
PostSubject: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptyFri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

So, I just want to sing the praises of the battery I bought back on 3/29/07... paid 119.95 which at the time was about 40 more than an AutoZone battery. Bought it directly from the dealership. Well, it's still going after nearly 11 years and it's rated a 6 year battery! Curious if anyone had one that's lasted longer?
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 pm

My 97 with 30000 miles I replaced a original Delco Freedom battery in 2014 and it was still good I just got chicken, I replaced it with a new Delco
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 pm

17 years!!! Well, challenge accepted. I have 6 more years I suppose. I was happy the original went to 2007. Although I may have jinxed the whole deal. I tend to do that
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I replaced my Delco battery dated 2002 in August of 2015, not sure why the original Delco Freedom before it was replaced at 6 years old. I too replaced it because it made me nervous since it gets quite hot/cold here.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

You can test the battery and replace it when it falls below generating 400 CCA or so (the spec is 450). However, if your climate is not challenging it will operate satisfactorily for much longer.
Back to top Go down
ChrisW
Rookie
ChrisW

Name : Chris Wheeler

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm

playa wrote:
So, I just want to sing the praises of the battery I bought back on 3/29/07...  paid 119.95 which at the time was about 40 more than an AutoZone battery.  Bought it directly from the dealership.  Well, it's still going after nearly 11 years and it's rated a 6 year battery!  Curious if anyone had one that's lasted longer?

I put a battery in my '98 that I got from Oreilly's in september 2011, and it just failed last week.   So, almost 7 years.    Something about our cars makes batteries last longer than most other cars.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 11:57 pm

ChrisW wrote:
playa wrote:
So, I just want to sing the praises of the battery I bought back on 3/29/07...  paid 119.95 which at the time was about 40 more than an AutoZone battery.  Bought it directly from the dealership.  Well, it's still going after nearly 11 years and it's rated a 6 year battery!  Curious if anyone had one that's lasted longer?

I put a battery in my '98 that I got from Oreilly's in september 2011, and it just failed last week.   So, almost 7 years.    Something about our cars makes batteries last longer than most other cars.

The 'something' is they are *huge* and Delco innovated the lead-calcium battery - our OE batteries were this construction and same was largely adopted by the industry. Read more here: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2008/08/Quiet-Revolution/1675823.html
Back to top Go down
nickwon

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 am

Mine only lasted 10 years but I think it's not bad.
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptyWed Oct 12, 2022 9:54 pm

Just a follow up to this post - still going strong at 15 years, 6 months....  smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 9:58 pm

playa wrote:

My original Delco battery lasted that long, I replaced it before it failed entirely -- I'd noticed slower winter starting and it measured low CCAs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longest life of a battery   Longest life of a battery Empty

Back to top Go down

Longest life of a battery
Page 1 of 1