Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
David Jennings
Amateur

Name : David Reese Jennings
Merit : 0

Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera Empty
PostSubject: Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera   Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Hello again.  I have to start by once again saying I love my 95 Riviera SC.   It has so much more panache than any of the new rides driven by my coworkers and friends.   I feel like a character in a 90's detective show when i drive it.   Getting this much joy out of a car this cheap is a coup.

Anyway, my horn is working intermittently.   It's not the relay, which I switched out, but seems to be the horn switch itself.  It looks like the switch is buried in with the rest of the airbag works, so I'm reluctant to mess with it.  I'm betting, however, that my contacts are bent or worn.  Any thoughts?  I don't see any replacement parts anywhere for the switch itself.  Thanks.

David on Vashon.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera   Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm

the switch is a pressure pad that sits under the 'skin' (the vinyl cover you actually press to sound the horn) and on top of the airbag module.

Back in 2012 I posted:

...most likely it's the horn switch under the soft cover of the air bag. That cover was the same for the Riv, Buick LeSabre, Buick Skylark of about 1996-99 -- if you go to an auto recycling yard (not a pick and pull) they should be able to help you get one that can be installed in your car and will work. You will need the factory service manual for the instructions on installing it safely, first key is to depower the airbag then you need to disassemble the steering wheel. I think this can be done in place so you probably don't have to pull the wheel -- but no kidding you will need to refer to the FSM for this one or have someone knowledgeable do it for you. It is not difficult at all just a little time consuming and there is not any room for creativity or error in following the airbag depowering instructions.

One problem is that, for instance, NY law says the junkyards can't sell airbags. So the yards often just blow them. If you ask the yard ahead of time however, getting the **cover** is doable and does not create issues for the yard. But they have to know in advance of blowing the bag out, to take the cover off for you then blow the bag. A minor detail...

Also, you may find these pages concerning the 1998 Buick LeSabre informative:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t14115190-1998_buick_lesabre_no_start_sec_light
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t685518-1998_lasabre_horn_sounding

The reason you need a factory manual is the wiring colors are not necessarily the same model to model on GM cars.

-end quotes-

So.. you will need a factory manual.

If you want a new unit, IIRC you are looking for  p/n 16246124 or its cousins.  They cost $$$hundreds.   You may be able to obtain one from an auto recycler, you will have to call and ask.  If you can get to one that has airbags to pop on a car they are crushing, they may just let you have it if you go to the yard and take the assembly apart yourself. I don't know. The airbag *does* come out without too much hassle.  You will have to ask.

See the link -->  http://www.discontinuedspares.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=11&sort=5&page=675

AGAIN - if you get to an auto recycler BEFORE they pop the airbag, you can get them to sell/give you the cover.  Use the Hollander at the salvage yard to figure out whose horn pads are interchangeable.  

Albertj
Back to top Go down

Horn Switch in Steering Wheel on 95 Riviera
Page 1 of 1