Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Seat Removal and Airbags

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Seat Removal and Airbags Empty
PostSubject: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Is there anything in the seat that can trigger the airbag? There's an airbag warning in the seat section of the FSM but I'm not sure what the danger is, unless there is a sensor that can set off the airbag. I may be worrying for nothing but for all I know if you remove the rear bolts and tilt the seat forward to unlatch the front there's a sensor that will think a wreck is happening and set off the airbag.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 am

There is an airbag module under the passenger seat, I guess that is the reason for an airbag warning.
And I'm pretty sure there is no any airbag-related sensors in the seat.
What exactly are you going to remove your seat for?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm doing leather repair on the driver's side, it'll be easier to paint with the seat out.

I'm also going to lubricate all the tracks, bearings, pivot points etc. I can find.

The carpet is also getting cleaned.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Quick FYI, Abaddon says attempting to remove the seats can set off the airbags, and suggests pulling the airbag fuse. The factory service manual also says to disconnect the airbags under the dash. I'll try to do my business without pulling the seats first. I'm managing to get my painting job done, not so sure about lubricating the mechanicals.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Quick FYI, Abaddon says attempting to remove the seats can set off the airbags, and suggests pulling the airbag fuse.  The factory service manual also says to disconnect the airbags under the dash.  I'll try to do my business without pulling the seats first.  I'm managing to get my painting job done, not so sure about lubricating the mechanicals.

I would follow the FSM; hey Abaddon if the airbag fuse is pulled does that set a code?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 3:10 pm

I've since found out the way to lubricate the seat mechanicals is to pull up the seat cushion. It's just held on with some plastic clips that slip over the frame. I can get the front part up but I'm not sure what to do with the switchbox, it doesn't come out far enough to get at the connectors, and it doesn't pass through the seat cover either. Maybe the FSM has instructions for it. I saw plenty of lubricant on my parts when I looked in there, so I didn't pursue the matter further.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 am

The switchbox escutcheon screws on from the outside bottom. The switch pack snaps in from under the cushion side. If you take off the escutcheon the rest is obvious on inspection. DO NOT LOSE the little paddle that controls the lumbar, it just sets over the actual switch.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 pm

I took the escutcheon off and pulled the switch box out, but it didn't come out far enough for the connectors to be accessible. I didn't want to risk breaking it, so I put it back in.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I took the escutcheon off and pulled the switch box out, but it didn't come out far enough for the connectors to be accessible.  I didn't want to risk breaking it, so I put it back in.

I've had mine out w/o issue, you have to get it past the fitting that holds it in place. IIRC I used a small thin screwdriver to coax it past the tabs it snapped into. Not sure the FSM says much more than that, but you might should check.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat Removal and Airbags   Seat Removal and Airbags Empty

Back to top Go down

Seat Removal and Airbags
Page 1 of 1