Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Front seat removal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 8:46 pm

I just bought a 96 and I'm going to remove the ripped front seats and replace them with a set from a salvage yard. Can someone tell me the size of the star bolts that are in the back end of each seat rail?
Thanks for the add!😀
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Are you looking for the bolt, or the tool? You can get a set of torx sockets at Wal-Mart.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 am

I read somewhere that it takes a "star" bit but I'm not sure what the difference is between for and star bits. I just picked up a set of star bits at harbor freight. I was wondering what size the bolt takes but I will try the new bits today and post back what size worked. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 am

I think "star" is what people say when they don't know the correct name for torx.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Just be sure to pull the airbag fuse and wait 20 mins for the system to drain before messing with the seats.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks for reminding me about the air bag. It won't be an issue in the junk yard car but it will on mine. I found out I could also use a 15mm socket which works much better. I looked at the salvage car today and the seats were worse than mine. I'm going to a different yard in the morning and hoping for the best
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Good luck. There aren't a lot of Rivs out there anymore, and most of them have been used hard at this point. You may have to have yours reupholstered.
Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Your right. The second car I looked at yesterday has seats worse than mine. My seats are ok except for the passenger seat cushion which is ripped in four places. I'm thinking of getting two cushion covers and calling it a day for now
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Cliff96 wrote:
Your right. The second car I looked at yesterday has seats worse than mine. My seats are ok except for the passenger seat cushion which is ripped in four places. I'm thinking of getting two cushion covers and calling it a day for now

If you have a pro upholsterer near you, consider having the seat "sectioned" - they carefully remove the old cover and stitch in a replacement leather panel, then reinstall it. You'll want to install another seat temporarily so you can drive while waiting for the repair. I can't tell you what seat to get however those junkyard seats might work, swap them in and stretch a one-size-fits-all cover over them for the week or two your good seat will be in for repairs.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 8:06 am

Good idea. I wouldn't have to put a temporary seat in though unless a wanted to carry a passenger. How hard is it to remove the complete seat cushion?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Cliff96 wrote:
Good idea. I wouldn't have to put a temporary seat in though unless a wanted to carry a passenger. How hard is it to remove the complete seat cushion?

Never did that on this car -- however, GM/Lear seats tend to disassemble at the obvious points. Might be worth a return trip to the pick and pull, to pull a seat out of that thrashed Riv for the heck of it and see how it's assembled.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front seat removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front seat removal   Front seat removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Front seat removal
Page 1 of 1