Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?

Go down 
+5
JohnBoanerges
71stagegs
albertj
th3fr4nchi5e
carguy8888
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? Empty
PostSubject: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 pm

I like the idea of maintaining the factory radio but I want to add Bluetooth. is there a way to put a 3.5 auxiliary line in or do I have to trash the factory radio and get something else?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Its been years so I couldnt tell you exactly what we used for my car when my dad and I installed mine, but we bought a processor to add an aux. the stereo looks stock in the cabin but I have a processor and amp in the trunk. The processor allows you to add inputs like an aux. the only downside is, aux volume needs to be controlled by the processor, so I have a separate volume knob installed where the ash tray would be for Aux volume. Stereo works normally if Im using CD/AM/FM

JohnBoanerges likes this post

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm

I found a vid on you tube,
my 12v guy will make something work. What color is your interior?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 1:45 am

carguy8888 wrote:
What color is your interior?

Tan with a light colored woodgrain
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am

My car will be white with a burgundy interior. Where your original wheels Chrome or silver?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

Silver, Im thinking about going back to the stock wheels and selling the ones on the car in the spring.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

My car has silver wheels as well which I'm thinking of Plasti dipping in Chrome.I found the set of beautiful stock chrome rims but they're too far from me.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I like the idea of maintaining the factory radio but I want to add Bluetooth. is there a way to put a 3.5 auxiliary line in or do I have to trash the factory radio and get something else?

I'm sure you can, there is a company selling modified factory radios for either 3.5 aux *or* bluetooth, and modified for 3.5 aux *and* bluetooth. .

If you get the one with just 3.5 Aux you can plug a bluetooth adapter into it and it will link your phone correctly for calls as well as music provided *the adapter* supports that.

See the link:

https://www.1factoryradio.com/aux-input/#/?_=1&filter.categories_hierarchy=AUX%20INPUT%2FBUICK&page=1&filter.brand=Buick

Look at the 2000-2001 LeSabre radios. Contact the seller to learn more.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 1:45 pm

If I want to search for a double din what size should I look for?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
If I want to search for a double din what size should I look for?

I don't understand this question -- but youcan check crutchfield.com for a selectoin of double din radios that will fit and the p/n for the Scosche kits needed.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 am

Thank you for the help, I don't know how that company did not come up in my Google search.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Thank you for the help, I don't know how that company did not come up in my Google search.

Probably because Google thinks it can sell you something else. Remember - their results are driven in part by advertising $.

Crutchfield has been around so long I doubt they need Google all that much beyond organic search results. I have never been disappointed with a radio for a car I got through Crutchfield. They fit; they provide the jumpers and brackets so the install is truly reversible, and the face panels so that it really looks right in the dash. They are *not* the cheapest but if you factor in the fitting and electrical bits, they usually *are*.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyMon May 25, 2020 8:45 pm

old post but this is what i used works great
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=41679&picture_id=-1
Back to top Go down
JohnBoanerges
Rookie

Name : John Redman
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 9:00 pm

To th3fr4nchi5e, any others

" we bought a processor to add an aux. the stereo looks stock in the cabin but I have a processor and amp in the trunk."
This sounds like what I would like to do. The only additional input I want is a USB Port to insert a memory stick with my own music. The radio waves today are completely bereft of anything that suits my taste except by accident (an AM station the other day happened to play an old Johnny Cash tune about his 1950-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-60 Cadillac and I was lucky enough to catch it). So, this processor???
BTW, I found the perfect spot to install a battery cutoff switch just in front of the right edge of the battery. Besides the hole for the switch, I also made a hole for the lead that goes to the existing ground. I raided the '95 Green donor car for its ground lead. It is close enough that I can insert the key and turn it while sitting in the driver's seat. I haven't solved the problem of the interior lights staying on way too long yet but at least I have stopped the battery drain. I'm so glad that this car doesn't need any extensive 'reprogramming' when the battery is disconnected, just the time on the radio.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 am

The problem with a battery cut off is that you reset the PCM. That resets all the readiness monitors, and the PCM has to do them one at a time. You might want to be mindful of that around inspection time if you live in a state that will fail your car if the CEL is on, OR, if your readiness monitors are not completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 10:51 pm

just go to autozone and get the bluetooth car charger.. you just plug it into your cigarette lighter, tune your radio to the prompted station and connect to the bluetooth. thats what i use.. im just saving up for an apple play double din tho
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am

bbyshrk wrote:
just go to autozone and get the bluetooth car charger.. you just plug it into your cigarette lighter, tune your radio to the prompted station and connect to the bluetooth. thats what i use.. im just saving up for an apple play double din tho

Just a warning on the double din (in my case anyway) there's so much leftover cord and harness and there's no room back behind the head unit so it won't sit flush. I had to cut out old hard plastic in the back to make an opening wide enough to stuff back the big ass harness plugs and get them out of the way. It's still not perfectly flush but good enough. Again, that's just my 2016ish pioneer unit so a cheap Amazon one or other brand might be smaller (shorter, hopefully).

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Spacecowboy067 wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:

Just a warning on the double din (in my case anyway) there's so much leftover cord and harness and there's no room back behind the head unit so it won't sit flush. I had to cut out old hard plastic in the back to make an opening wide enough to stuff back the big ass harness plugs and get them out of the way. It's still not perfectly flush but good enough. Again, that's just my 2016ish pioneer unit so a cheap Amazon one or other brand might be smaller (shorter, hopefully).
thanks for the heads up, i’ll probably do the same and cut out whats in the way, or try and find a head unit with smaller dimensions. i might even do both just for that flush finish tbh

Spacecowboy067 likes this post

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 2:15 pm

Get an mvh unit which does not have a CD player, the chassis will be much more narrow.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 2:21 pm

I agree with carguy, if you can get a shorter or smaller one. I only put this big one in because it was free haha

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 2:29 pm

I don't remember my guy doing any cutting.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Well I didn't have a guy, he wanted 250 just to put the head unit in, so I told him to suck my unit and bought a $5 adapter and did it myself

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Spacecowboy067 wrote:
Well I didn't have a guy, he wanted 250 just to put the head unit in, so I told him to suck my unit and bought a $5 adapter and did it myself
🤣🤣 “suck my unit”
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:39 pm

Probably would of cost a lot extra for him to suck your unit though LOL. The radios in these cars don't slide in and out, you have to take apart the dash pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Yerrrp... Gotta take out the whole faceplate. Relatively simple but extended process

carguy8888 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?   Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you add a 3.5 aux import to the OE radio?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next