Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jesustakethewheel
Special

Name : kevin
Merit : 0

Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  Empty
PostSubject: Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions    Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi,

I have surface rust on the deck and block. I was wondering if anyone had any tips. Also, any tips on cleaning coolant passage channels without disassembly?

Thanks!
Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  Rust_111
Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  Rust_211
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions    Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions  EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Surface rust on engine?  No, no ideas, I'll just say that people paint engines with engine paint every day with good results if they follow the rattle can label directions. For the head mounting surface you can remove the studs and clean it with a "Scotchbrite" but ask a machine shop guy about the surface flatness.  You might need to use or make a flat sanding block. For an idea see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZt6jCoIOA but don't do it the way he does, looks sloppy to me.  I Am thinking a machinist would use something dead flat and larger than the block surface, like a piece of (scrap) granite from a countertop maker, hot glue or dopp wax or epoxy handles to one side and would glue the emerycloth to the other.  Somewhere between 80 and 200 grit would be my guess BUT don't go by me, ask a machinist. You will have a problem getting the grit out of the cylinder wells.
Back to top Go down

Engine Surface Rust and Other Questions
Page 1 of 1