Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Replacement Rear Sway Bar

Go down 
+3
albertj
Rickw
1997riv
7 posters
AuthorMessage
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

Replacement Rear Sway Bar Empty
PostSubject: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Was Fluid Filming the underside of my Riv today and noticed the end of the rear sway bar is broke off on the drivers side. Not having luck finding one, anyone know of a good place to look? Not looking to put an STS bar in but would be open to it as I’ll replace the bushings and end links at the same time anyways.

The car has Moog problem solver end links front and rear, I saw albertj mentioned something about them causing the end of his sway bar to break, is that an issue with those end links? If so I’ll get different ones when I replace the sway bar and also replace the fronts with matching different ones as well.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I replaced my rear sway bar on my 98 Riv with an ADDCO solid sway bar that was much larger in diameter than stock and had made a big improvement in the overall handling of the car. I also did the front sway bar also.

Unfortunately I junked the car with all the Modification parts still installed. But, I would look up Addco to see if they still sell the bars for the Riv's. Quality stuff.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Part # 2015 sound right? Looks like that’s the number listed on Addco’s chart. Jegs has that one for $167 but doesn’t ship until 12/16.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 pm

stydel311 wrote:
Part # 2015 sound right? Looks like that’s the number listed on Addco’s chart. Jegs has that one for $167 but doesn’t ship until 12/16.

I just found the folder that has all the info on sway bars and links that I used.
Yes, the Addco #2015 is correct and I actually ended up getting it from Summit at the time due to availability and a lower price than Addco direct.
I paid $157.90 in 2009.

Also installed heavier sway bar links and bushings. IIRC the oem links used 5/16" bolts. The Energy Suspension Sway Bar Link Kits for the rear were 3/8" bolts with poly bushings to help keep the rear more stable. I got them from my local Advance Auto Parts store.
I also bought the Energy Suspension stuff for my larger front sway bar.

Good Luck to you. Wish I had the bar to ship to you. frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyWed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am

Rickw wrote:
stydel311 wrote:

I just found the folder that has all the info on sway bars and links that I used.
Yes, the Addco #2015 is correct and I actually ended up getting it from Summit at the time due to availability and a lower price than Addco direct.
I paid $157.90 in 2009.

Also installed heavier sway bar links and bushings. IIRC the oem links used 5/16" bolts. The Energy Suspension Sway Bar Link Kits for the rear were 3/8" bolts with poly bushings to help keep the rear more stable. I got them from my local Advance Auto Parts store.
I also bought the Energy Suspension stuff for my larger front sway bar.

Good Luck to you. Wish I had the bar to ship to you. frown

Also - word to the wise - be sure to reinforce the points that the mounts for the bar bolt onto the frame/subrframe. Even if it's just epoxying on some big washers.
Back to top Go down
nickwon

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm

So, any update? I need to get a rear sway bar for my car also.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 9:07 pm

I found one from a 2001 STS on car-part.com, bought it and had it shipped to me for $50. Wire wheeled it and painted it black, the body to bar bushings where in good shape so I gave them each a bit of grease and reused them. Did new sway bar bushings and coated it all with fluid film.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 pm

1997riv wrote:
I found one from a 2001 STS on car-part.com, bought it and had it shipped to me for $50.  Wire wheeled it and painted it black, the body to bar bushings where in good shape so I gave them each a bit of grease and reused them.  Did new sway bar bushings and coated it all with fluid film.
I called so many places looking for this, I can't believe you found one on car-part.com. I'm going to end up making one.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am

... and I drive without the rear sway bar at all for more than a year now ))
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Addco 2015 is the replacement rear bar for the 97-99 Riviera. It is 7/8" thick (22 mm).

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/2015/10002/-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 pm

I called them the other day, front and rear are both out of stock and a 2-month wait. I'm going to order them in a week or two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Rear Sway Bar   Replacement Rear Sway Bar Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacement Rear Sway Bar
Page 1 of 1