Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install

Go down 
+16
Sir Psycho Sexy
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
AA
charlieRobinson
bigblue96
highwaywarrior
BlownRiv
robotennis61
Rickw
TonySmooth89
patillac
1998 Riv
Jack the R
Jason
RivMan
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RivMan
Amateur

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:21 pm

After reading a post over on the Aurora forum last summer, I ordered up an STS Sway bar and the parts that go with it. I didn't get around to installing it until this morning. What a difference the stiffer bar makes!

Here is the writeup that I used to order the parts and install the bar.
http://aurorah.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=Zoom&action=display&thread=1152925430

-Rob
Back to top Go down
http://www.RivMan.com
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Glad you like it. Swaybars make a dramatic improvement in the way a car handles. I was going to get STS front and rear swaybar from the junkyard but the cheapest quote I got was 105$ and 110$ respectively (I'm not kidding).
For people considering this upgrade, keep in mind the STS uses a hollow rear swaybar, so it is not as stiff as the addco bar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptySun May 27, 2007 5:14 am

Didn't Addco stop making the rear bar?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptySun May 27, 2007 1:40 pm

I haven't heard anything about it
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptySun May 27, 2007 11:24 pm

Rob, did you use all these parts, or just the bar, with Riv links/bushings?

Bar - 25666234
Links - 25684759
Bushings - 25666235
Back to top Go down
RivMan
Amateur

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyMon May 28, 2007 1:35 pm

I used all the parts. The rivs endlinks would have worked just fine with the new bar though, I jsut haden't changed mine since I had the car, so I figured new ones wouldent hurt. The bushings have a larger hole because the bar is larger. I guess you could take the stock bushings and bore them out to the proper size, but again, I've never changed mine out, so I thought it was time.

-Rob
Back to top Go down
http://www.RivMan.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue May 29, 2007 12:16 am

Funny, my Riv already has those plastic end links in the side by side comparison pic at the link you posted.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue May 29, 2007 9:11 am

I posted about this over on regalgs a while back. If you look at the suspension spreadsheet, you'll notice the G-bodies share the same rear links (though it may just be the 97+, I'll have to confirm). That is the reason you can reuse your stock rear endlinks with the addco or STS bar.
IIRC only the front endlinks varied between the "luxury" and "sport" models (bonneville and STS)

The excel spreadsheet had all the part numbers and specs of the different g-body suspension components (not springs).. I had included the % increase in stiffness that the various g-platform bars would yield in the spreadsheet.

Last edited by Jason on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: STS sway bars?   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 am

Hey, are these (part 9 in each pic) the STS sway bars?

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install Front

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install Rear

If so, they're fairly cheap from Monster Parts Online:

front, 79.78

rear - 76.10

The front bushing is 2.50 w/ sport suspension, 15 with out. I haven't checked the rear.

I know the Addco bars are stiffer, but this is cheaper and 1 million X less hassle.

Just throwing it out . . .
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

yes, those are it.
30 mm hollow front (vs 28 mm hollow for the riv) = 27.53% stiffer than stock. You need bushing p/n 25699778 for the front. You will need to upgrade you bushing brackets too (25699779)

22 mm hollow rear bar (vs 17mm hollow for the rear). Since we don't know if the wall thickness is 3mm (likely) or 5mm, we can say it's between 144.95 and 209.99% stiffer than stock. You'll need bushing p/n 25666235 for the rear.

Only problem is that they end up being more expensive than the addco bars for someone in Canada

Last edited by Jason on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:19 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : stiffness calculation)
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:20 pm

What year are the 28/17 Riv #'s for? Or rather, what are they for 97?

Because I'm stupid I did not realize until recently that I could drill out camlifter's nylon bushings for my larger 97 bars (or for these caddie bars). But now that it's hit me, I want to get some bits and have at 'em!

I only need my car to be good for regular driving. There is no AutoX around here that I know of. With the Rancho's it's already got more suspension performance than I feel like I can safely use, but the front could have a better feel to it.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:38 pm

97 riviera has 27mm front 17mm rear. Larger swaybars improve the everyday ride quality a bit. If you can get the sts bars for cheap, go for it, you won't regret it.

don't upgrade just the front bar. The car plows enough as it is.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

Name : Pat
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:10 am

do you know if this work on a 1995 and would i be able to replace the front and back with the sts sway bars?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1984caprice
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 am

The 95-96 has a different part# for the front swaybar than 97+. I think you can do both the front and rear.
If you can get them for cheap, go for it.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

Name : Pat
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 1:57 pm

so i need to get them from a 1995-1996 sts right?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1984caprice
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 am

patillac wrote:
so i need to get them from a 1995-1996 sts right?

Bump for answer. I'm considering this too.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 am

no, that won't work The Seville only moved to the "G-body" in 98 (though it was in fact still a K-body).

I have a spreadsheet back home with the part# and description of all the modern G-body suspension components. They are on my desktop computer. I can't access them now.

IIRC the difference of the 95-96 front swaybar is in diameter rather than overall shape, but I can't be more specific. Stock 97+ riviera had a 28mm front, whereas the 1st gen auroras had 27mm (95-96) and and 29mm (97-99). I don't remember if the 95-96 riviera shared the same swaybar p/n as the aurora. I'm actually surprised I remembered the rest...

Use the 98+ FWD Seville STS or a 2nd generation aurora (whichever is cheapest). They both are 30 mm. The addco front bar is 32 mm.

Since bar stiffness is proportional the diameter to the 4th power, that 1 or 2 mm difference translates into a fairly large % increase in stiffness.

I would definitely not bother upgrading the front without doing the rear. If you can only afford one, do the rear.

That said, I really like the difference the addco front and rear made.

Last edited by Jason on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks Jason. Very informative. How much are the addco bars again?

I'm debating on whether or not to get addco or the STS sway bars , pending how cheap i can pick up either one.

Edit: after reading the addco sway bar thread , i think i'll just pick up some STS sway bars , seeing as how addco seems to have some quality control issues.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:27 am

I don't know. Aftermarket swaybar prices have gone up, not to mention that the group buy is long over. Junkyards around here usually want dealer list price.

addco
Front : 02018 1.25" which translates to 65.33% stiffer than the stock 28mm bar (now 203.95 at summit)
Rear: 02015 7/8", which translates to 192.13% stiffer than the stock 17mm bar (now $145.95 at summit)

you may want to talk to the seller of the original GP. I seriously doubt you'll see $225 for both as per the GP, but if he has any left in stock (doubt it), he may want to unload them at a good price. I got some smoking deals on the last bars I bought from him (for my roadmaster sedan and a rear for the wagon). Hey, it's free to call or email right ?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Just did this mod today. Very happy with the results. Car seems to track much straighter , and seems to set into corners much better. I almost think it rides better to , as it seemed more composed when I went over the speedbumps in my apartment complex. For 30 bucks for the bar and 20 bucks for endlinks ( Moog) i am very impressed with difference this mod made.

Tip: use motor oil to get the bushing on/off the bars.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 pm

So have you now done both the front and rear with STS bars?
I can't remember if it was you who recently got a front STS bar for cheap.
If you did change the front did you use the stock STS bushings or get the greasable ones from Energy Susp.?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Rickw wrote:
So have you now done both the front and rear with STS bars?
I can't remember if it was you who recently got a front STS bar for cheap.
If you did change the front did you use the stock STS bushings or get the greasable ones from Energy Susp.?

No i've just done the rear for now. I'm loooking into doing the front shortly as i've found some for about 25 bucks on carpart.com.

On the rear bar i just used the stock STS bushings. They were in pretty good shape so i saw no need to get new ones. ( bar was in "A" condition so under 60k).
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:58 pm

What year range and other info is needed to search on car-part.
Do you need to plug in that it is an FE-3 suspension ?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 6:09 pm

I just selected 2000 STS stabilizer bar , and put in my zip code , and on the next page it will ask which bar you want ( Front , rear , FE3 , FE1 , FE0 etc...) You can also get the front bar from a late model Bonneville. It will pull up all models and model years with the same part number.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm

When I put in Cadilac STS stabilizer bar it kicks me to a screen to fill out my name, address, etc. and leave a note for what I'm looking for. Presumably because the search comes up with none listed.
Did you find some listed for sale?

Is the STS a Seville?
If so, a Sway Bar new from monsterparts for a 2000 Seville with "sport" suspension cost $95.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next