Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install

Go down 
+16
Sir Psycho Sexy
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
AA
charlieRobinson
bigblue96
highwaywarrior
BlownRiv
robotennis61
Rickw
TonySmooth89
patillac
1998 Riv
Jack the R
Jason
RivMan
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 pm

The link to the write up on the Aurora board had moved.

It looks like this is the new location:

http://aurorah.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Zoom&action=display&thread=11103
Back to top Go down
Randy T.
Rookie
Randy T.

Name : Randall Thurman
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I put a rear sway bar off of a '98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra on my '97 Aurora, it is also the same sway bar the is on the 2nd generation Auroras '01-'03.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:02 pm

I was at the junkyard today and there were two seville sts. The front bars were gone, but the rears were there. I took one of them. If anyone wants the other one, i will go get it and ship it out. They charged me $22.50 with a warranty.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm

i want it!
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Josh, its all yours! Ill head there tomorrow and grab it and ship it out!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Alright, just to confirm. The 97-04 bars (front and back) will work on the 95-96 with new mounting hardware (should be replaced anyways). The only difference is the size. The STS front bar is solid and 2MM smaller than the solid Addco (30MM vs 32MM). The rear bar is the same size, but hollow compared to the solid Addco. Not to mention the fact that Addco is the only known aftermarket bars out there. Am I correct in everything here?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Ordered a bar off of a 2000 STS. Supposed to come with all of the hardware. ~$50 shipped. So excited  jump 
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Who were you able to order from, that has stock?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Some junkyard on eBay. We messaged each other back and forth so I knew what I was getting. They were cheaper on car-part.com but none of the people there would respond.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Look good to you guys? Also what are you measuring for the size? I want to make sure it's right before I paint it.

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 2014-014
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Got it in today. I used my stock end links because I'm still awaiting AA's. Took me about an hour to do.

Things Needed:
Safety goggles (I normally don't use them either, but there was just so much crap that I needed them)
Grease
Basic socket set
Pliers or massive socket
Patience
STS bar, bushings, and bushing mounts from a 98-02 STS (Seville with FE3 suspension)
A set of AA's end links, or end links of your choice
Paint

Paint all of your new hardware (minus the bushings) to avoid rust and to keep things looking nice.

Start out by removing the end links. Stick a socket on the upper part, and hold the nut on the bottom with a pair of pliers or a massive socket.

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 2014-018

Remove the 2 mounting brackets holding the bar to the chassis

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 2014-019

Remove the old bushings and brackets from the bar entirely. We just slid them off the ends, use your best judgement as to how you want to get them off.

Wiggle the old bar out through the drivers side. You have to pull out until it gets to the tire, then make a 90* bend so that the bar is facing the front of the car. Should just slide right out after that.

Grease up your new bushings and mounts to avoid squeaks, and slide/bolt all the new stuff in.

Overall this mod is definitely worth it, especially if you can get the bar cheap. I have about $50 invested in this mod and it was well worth it.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:13 am

What is everyone using for bushings/brackets (front and rear)? I'm sure I can get away with the stock Caddy stuff but it's used and kind of worn. Anybody else getting squeaks? I greased the bushings pretty well but not the end links. Might pull all the hardware off this weekend and hit it again with grease.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:22 am

matt270avian wrote:
What is everyone using for bushings/brackets (front and rear)? I'm sure I can get away with the stock Caddy stuff but it's used and kind of worn. Anybody else getting squeaks? I greased the bushings pretty well but not the end links. Might pull all the hardware off this weekend and hit it again with grease.

I used stock PAU rear links (Sport Suspension). They're Urethane (or harder rubber) from the factory. I just used the stock F41 bar bushings. If anyone orders the stock PAU rear links, the ones you need have white bushings, not black.

Front bushings are stock F41 as well. I bought an Energy Suspension Urethane end link bushing set and just swapped out the stock rubber bushings...kept the rest of the end links stock.

You shouldn't be squeaking from anywhere if everything is new. Usually a squeaky sway bar means that the bushings themselves are worn, or the bar has rusted and become a smaller diameter where the bushing wraps it. Sway bar links don't usually squeak...especially on the older style like ours. The newer "ball" joint style links will squeak when worn.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyFri May 09, 2014 10:31 am

I'll try out some new bushings then. Everything I got was used so who knows who did what to it. The bars were in pretty good shape with a bit of rust where the end links attach. After I cleaned them up and painted them they looked new.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 am

Is this the bar needed? I'm trying to order the front sway bar for my riv

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-STS-FRONT-SUSPENSION-STABILIZER-SWAY-BEAM-BAR-OEM-2238-/221483446911?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000|Submodel%3ASTS&hash=item339171327f&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Yep that's it. That's a pretty good price too.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks matt
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Fun fact, some of the H-Body people are using STS/Park Avenue front and rear bars. Anybody know of a good aftermarket bar for an H-Body?
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 10:48 am

I got my rear bar at pick n pull yesterday for 20 bux off an sts. There was a pau f41 there also. Would that be a better bar? I measured it with my digital caliper and it was the same I believe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install   Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Cadillac STS Rear Sway Bar Install
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3