Riviera Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 steering column support

Go down 
+2
DeepFrozen
bbyshrk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 pm

does anyone know how to get to the steering column support out? ive pretty much got everything out the way, now all i got left is this crescent wrench looking thing keeping the support on the rest of the column. any advice or resources are greatly appreciated 🙏🏾 as soon as i can get the steering wheel back on there tight and airbags in the driver and passenger side, i’ll be able to get her inspected and registeredsteering column support  10882f10
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
does anyone know how to get to the steering column support out? ive pretty much got everything out the way, now all i got left is this crescent wrench looking thing keeping the support on the rest of the column. any advice or resources are greatly appreciated 🙏🏾 as soon as i can get the steering wheel back on there tight and airbags in the driver and passenger side, i’ll be able to get her inspected and registeredsteering column support  10882f10
ended up deciding on swapping the whole column with the steering wheel and airbag. i’ll be sourcing parts on ebay, and my local pick n pull. that little support is out of stock literally everywhere. its also not worth the time it took to take apart the upper section of the steering column 🤦‍� i dont know why i even botherd. i pulled off most of the bolts holding the column up except one holding it up (i loosened it but i’ll remove it when when im ready for the column to drop n get pulled out) then theres another bolt under the hood. the bolt is under a rubber boot, and i cant see or reach it well, so i just put it on hold for today. just updating anybody who’s reading this. heres some picssteering column support  D7aa9110
steering column support  D47b7610
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 pm

heres the stupid lower support i was trying to replace 😒 f*ck this thingsteering column support  16bb2b10
steering column support  E84b5810
steering column support  24f78710
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast



Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 240
Merit : 11

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 2:00 am

I haven't been so deep into the steering column and your pictures don't make much sense to me )
I think I'm not alone and that's why nobody said anything in this topic. I'm not even sure what you were trying to achieve disassembling all this stuff )
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:15 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
I haven't been so deep into the steering column and your pictures don't make much sense to me )
I think I'm not alone and that's why nobody said anything in this topic. I'm not even sure what you were trying to achieve disassembling all this stuff )

so theres this lower support in the steering column that i was trying to replace. its part of the tilt mechanism in the column. apparently, the part is known to have its issues. one of the issues is a pin coming loose. this will give you some play in the steering wheel which isnt really good. the other issue its known to have it when the support completely breaks and the tilt in your steering wheel has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much play. i’ll upload a video to youtube and post a link to show how much my steering wheel moved. up, down, left, right and thats all without me using the tilt lever. it wasnt safe to drive at all. so i was trying to replace just that one part but not only is it out of stock everywhere, but its also a whole lot of work. its litterally easier and more readily available for me to get the whole entire steering column from a car without these issues and slap it in mine. i hope that kinda made sense.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS


Name : Larry
Age : 65
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 2069
Merit : 138

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 am

Mekk,
             That is a well known problem.  One of the biggest mistakes newcomers make when coming to this site is not availing themselves of the wealth of information available by doing a simple search.  There are much easier ways to fix that problem, and now you are in new territory.  If you were going to do this, you should have completely removed the column from the car before taking it apart.  The way I fixed this problem is I made a plate that held the pins in.  It just involved a bit of fabrication and tapping an existing hole.

See my fix on page 10,

https://2img.net/h/i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/SLD1624/SteeringFix_zpsvcwxymsy.jpg

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6471-faq-steering-column-slop-problems-replacement?highlight=steering+column

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Member



Name : Christen
Location : Vancouver, WA
Joined : 2016-03-30
Post Count : 92
Merit : 5

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 8:54 pm

This is truly the EXACT same problem I'm working on as we speak. I was able to snag a steering column out of an Aurora at a local Pick 'n Pull and did the swap and while a royal PITA, is a rewarding job if you can get it all to work. If you haven't abandoned all hope, I can maybe offer you some tips on getting a column out of a junkyard vehicle, since it's probably a lot easier to get one from the wrecker and swap your key cylinder. Let me know. One key thing in a junkyard vehicle...you definitely want the old key in the cylinder lock...otherwise, it's a truly ROYAL PITA.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert



Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2511
Merit : 11

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Just a suggestion Mek!
Since you're upgrading your car and especially your dashboard area. Listen, have you ever considered installing a 2002 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Heads up Display unit in.
That's what I always wanted in my car but never knew how to mount and connect.

(😀😀 just a suggestion,if not simply ignore the proposal, it may not be even possible to get it done)
Stay cool brother.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Online
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R


Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 7697
Merit : 98

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 am

I could swear someone on here put a HUD in, but I think it came out of a Bonneville scratch
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert



Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2511
Merit : 11

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 5:19 am

Why don't I remember? Did it work?
Back to top Go down
Online
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R


Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 7697
Merit : 98

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Sorry, I must have been thinking about the HUD thread from year's back - Link

Nothing more than talk.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:38 pm

EyeDoc1 wrote:
This is truly the EXACT same problem I'm working on as we speak.  I was able to snag a steering column out of an Aurora at a local Pick 'n Pull and did the swap and while a royal PITA, is a rewarding job if you can get it all to work.  If you haven't abandoned all hope, I can maybe offer you some tips on getting a column out of a junkyard vehicle, since it's probably a lot easier to get one from the wrecker and swap your key cylinder.  Let me know.  One key thing in a junkyard vehicle...you definitely want the old key in the cylinder lock...otherwise, it's a truly ROYAL PITA.

thanks, i already got mine done and it took quite the beating with a flathead and a hammer to get that old key column out.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:44 pm

stan wrote:
Just a suggestion Mek!
Since you're upgrading your car and especially your dashboard area. Listen, have you ever considered installing a 2002 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Heads up Display unit in.
That's what I always wanted in my car but never knew how to mount and connect.

(😀😀 just a suggestion,if not simply ignore the proposal, it may not be even possible to get it done)
Stay cool brother.

yes yes yes! i been thinkin about a hud for a while now. i know theres the gtp, boneville, aztek, corvette and cadillac had some so theres afew to choose from. i didn’t even know the park ave came with hud. i’ll definitely be looking into that more and see where i can start
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk


Name : Mek
Age : 24
Location : Dallas, Texas
Joined : 2020-11-24
Post Count : 167
Merit : 2

steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Sorry, I must have been thinking about the HUD thread from year's back - Link

Nothing more than talk.

this link will definitely come in handy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





steering column support  Empty
PostSubject: Re: steering column support    steering column support  Empty

Back to top Go down
 
steering column support
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Help me choose pole bean support
» $$ for vertical support
» Horizontal netting or support for tomatoes
» Vine support questions
» Do determinant tomatoes need support?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: