Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

blower wont stop

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

Name : tommy z
Merit : 1

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 11:41 am

driving my car for about an hour today with my ac on but when i parked it the blower at your feet wont stop blowing so i disconnected the battery to shut it off. isit the blower resistor? thanks for reading. i hope everyone is happy n healthy
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Rivieraz wrote:
driving my car for about an hour today with my ac on but when i parked it the blower at your feet wont stop blowing so i disconnected the battery to shut it off. isit  the blower resistor? thanks for reading. i hope everyone is happy n healthy

Do you have any wiring modifications (even if they seem unrelated)?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 6:43 pm

That's the blower module. Up behind the glove box.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1995,riviera,3.8l+v6+supercharged,1022016,heat+&+air+conditioning,blower+motor+control+module+/+resistor,6557

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 pm

albert none that know of ,not that its related but even the security system works correctly....thanks again LARRY70GS....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 am

Rivieraz wrote:
albert none that know of ,not that its related but even the security system works correctly....thanks again LARRY70GS....

With no wiring mods then for sure it's either the blower module, or the little resistor network in the control unit.

The blower module is basically a power transistor and the resistor network changes the bias on that transistor to control fan speed. The original resistors GM used work, but get mad hot in service and eventually burn themselves off the board or fail. First time I had this problem, I opened my control unit and swapped in a set of resistors designed not to get so hot. Eventually the blower module failed, and I replaced it as I said with a junkyard unit. I was going to just replace the transistor but they were made obsolete some time ago. Substitution would be a major project because you'd have to figure out how to mount and heat-sink the replacement, including somehow reusing the epoxied terminals.

There is a post elsewhere on this site, a write up I think, about re-doing the resistors in the control unit.

For the blower module either buy one new or get one from a junkyard. My blower module failed a couple years ago, I put in a module I'd salvaged from a Riv I got a nearly-new blower motor from (that is how I leaned never to get a VDO HVAC blower, they are mad noisy).

Albertj

dAriel49 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 11:33 pm

ACDELCO 1571971 {#12368388} GM Original Equipment .......FOUR SEASONS 20337 {#12368388, 52470336} Power Module Info One of our most popular parts
Module; w/ Automatic Temperature Control (you can set a specific numeric temperature)... i bought the four seasons because it said automatic temp control but is there a difference? i usually stay with ac delco

Last edited by Rivieraz on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : part #)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 9:16 am

Rivieraz wrote:
ACDELCO 1571971 {#12368388} GM Original Equipment .......FOUR SEASONS 20337 {#12368388, 52470336} Power Module Info One of our most popular parts
Module; w/ Automatic Temperature Control (you can set a specific numeric temperature)... i bought the four seasons because it said automatic temp control but is there a difference? i usually stay with ac delco

I don't think there is any difference.

I think you would be wise to have a look in the HVAC control head.
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 1:35 pm

blower wont stop 1f44c
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 2:02 pm

30 min job all done ty everyone!
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred
Merit : 0

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 11:20 pm

albertj wrote:
Rivieraz wrote:

With no wiring mods then for sure it's either the blower module, or the little resistor network in the control unit.

The blower module is basically a power transistor and the resistor network changes the bias on that transistor to control fan speed.  The original resistors GM used work, but get mad hot in service and eventually burn themselves off the board or fail.  First time I had this problem, I opened my control unit and swapped in a set of resistors designed not to get so hot. Eventually the blower module failed, and I replaced it as I said with a junkyard unit.  I was going to just replace the transistor but they were made obsolete some time ago.  Substitution would be a major project because you'd have to figure out how to mount and heat-sink the replacement, including somehow reusing the epoxied terminals.  

There is a post elsewhere on this site, a write up I think, about re-doing the resistors in the control unit.

For the blower module either buy one new or get one from a junkyard.  My blower module failed a couple years ago, I put in a module I'd salvaged from a Riv I got a nearly-new blower motor from (that is how I leaned never to get a VDO HVAC blower, they are mad noisy).  

Albertj

My friend is looking at this Riv project with blower and AC issue. The owner think it's the blower module. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and xd wheels on the truck this weekend and we'll take a closer look at it.
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop EmptyThu Nov 04, 2021 1:10 am

mine was the blower module,easy job!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

blower wont stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: blower wont stop   blower wont stop Empty

Back to top Go down

blower wont stop
Page 1 of 1