Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Horn not working

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

Name : Nico Toscani
Merit : 0

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Hello! My 1998 Riviera. My horn will not sound when pressing steering wheel pad, but will chirp locking doors with key fob. Already checked fuse and relay. Any advice for me? Thanks in advance.Horn not working 37fc3510
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 8:52 pm

Dang....looks just like my '99 one to one.
Nice!
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 6:10 pm

I'm actually working on my steering column as we speak. There are some wires behind the airbag module but I've got to dig out a wiring diagram myself to look into this. Mine works intermittently. The "chirp" you hear might be from the alarm, not the horn, but smarter heads would know this. It's my project tonight.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 7:49 am

Check the horn relay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 1:50 pm

I would also suggest you consult the following:  https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t4721-faq-horn-problems. I think this is a wealth of knowledge about various horn issues, beyond the backside of the airbag and the point where sounding the horn starts, mainly your hand on the center.  Could be a relay, could be a fuze, but when a fuze blows for no good reason, there is usually 'A' good reason it blew in the first place which requires your Sherlock Holmes hat, a PowerProbe, a multimeter, a troubleshooting light or continuity tester and diagrams and lots of patience, unless the problem becomes obvious like a broken wire or a burned wire or a corroded wire.  Fun if you have the time, but annoying if you, like 90% of the population here aren't retired.  I pulled apart my steering column and did find the white disc with a metal ring on the back coated in some grease, and I wiped it down.  I'll be heading out to work on the '98 today and see if the horn sounds.  With a 24 year old car, it's always something. I have to learn how to post pictures here.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 1:55 pm

...look for the horn fuse to be out and the switch in the steering wheel is stuck 'on.'

That pressure sensitive pad material *is* available but I lost the link. If you do a search on "gm horn switch membrane foam" you should find pre-cut pads for Ford and GM cars, maybe you can make a replacement from a pad that *is* available.

Albertj

EyeDoc1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

Name : Nico Toscani
Merit : 0

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 1:11 am

Bad clockspring. Horn has been restored
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horn not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn not working   Horn not working Empty

Back to top Go down

Horn not working
Page 1 of 1