Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TypeRated
Special

Name : Brad
Merit : 0

New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera Empty
PostSubject: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 1:35 am

Hey guys! Recently picked up a 1997 L67 Riviera to use as a winter beater (trying to keep the Corvettes out of the snow). Drove 3 hours to pick it up and it was in worse shape than advertised. I probably should’ve passed, but here we are.
I’ve been slowly trying to bring it back, but it’s fighting me. I fix something and something else breaks. So far, I’ve done an oil change, new oil pressure sending unit, belts, supercharger smooth idler pulley, new drivers exterior door handle, and VATS bypass. I also bought a S/C coupler kit and a new tail light assembly, both waiting to go on.
After getting it all back together, the gauge lights and ambient interior lights all went out. The digital displays still dim, but everything else associated with the dimmer switch is out. I also picked up a nail at some point, so a new tire is on the way.
New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera F95fdc10
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 am

Welcome! Frankly, for a 25 yr old car that does not sound too bad. If it was a Silverado you'd be replacing the dimmer switch and having the instrument cluster rebuilt.

It looks nice from the outside. Strange that a center cap is yellowed and not the cornering lens.

How many miles are on it?
Back to top Go down
TypeRated
Special

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 2:01 am

It’s got 157k on it. It was one of those deals where I wasn’t told about some of the issues until I got there.
It’s really not too bad on the outside. There’s a little damage on the rear bumper where it was backed into something, hence the new tail light. The inside is okay too, but the drivers seat upholstery is shot.
The center cap was missing. That one came from eBay. It was supposed to be silver lol.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 3:50 am

Do check the trunk and spare tire well. Riviera's have been notorious for leaky trunk lids there and elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 6:15 pm

TypeRated wrote:
It’s got 157k on it. It was one of those deals where I wasn’t told about some of the issues until I got there.
It’s really not too bad on the outside. There’s a little damage on the rear bumper where it was backed into something, hence the new tail light. The inside is okay too, but the drivers seat upholstery is shot.
The center cap was missing. That one came from eBay. It was supposed to be silver lol.

The center cap was probably resprayed silver, then clear coated with rattle can paint.

You might want to start by reversing your VATS bypass -- if you did not have to do the bypass in order to get the car to start, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.  My guess is that you accidentally disturbed some connector or another under the dash and when you go under there to un-do the bypass you'll find it.
Back to top Go down
TypeRated
Special

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 6:21 pm

It actually looks like someone sprayed gold over a chrome center cap. I wasn’t too picky since it’s better than no center cap.
Since I didn’t want to replace the whole ignition switch, bypass was necessary. The car wouldn’t start about 80% of the time. It works every time now.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 6:30 pm

... and one other thing. The car isn't fighting you, it's just you need to finish catching up on deferred maintenance.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera EmptyThu Dec 15, 2022 1:51 am

Welcome, if it's any consolation I have a similar story with my '99.After a 3-year odyssey I'm close to the finish line, my car runs and rides great. Unfortunately, I probably could have bought two more Riviera's lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera   New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera Empty

Back to top Go down

New Guy w/ 1997 Riviera
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: