Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 5:47 pm

My 97 Riviera sc is idling rough the steering wheel is shaking and I here a pulsating noise . I've already done full tune up and both trans mounts . Could it be an exhaust thing? What do you guys think ? I'm putting a motor mount and two new belts in a few days I only run 93 gas and it only has 73,000 MI it sat for two years . I did oil and supercharger oil and air filter plus other small maintenance.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS


Name : Larry
Age : 67
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 2190
Merit : 149

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyMon Sep 18, 2023 6:31 pm

Any Check Engine Light?

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Online
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyMon Sep 18, 2023 10:58 pm

meechie115 wrote:
My 97 Riviera sc is idling rough the steering wheel is shaking and I here a pulsating noise . I've already done full tune up and both trans mounts . Could it be an exhaust thing? What do you guys think ? I'm putting a motor mount and two new belts in a few days I only run 93 gas and it only has 73,000 MI it sat for two years . I did oil and supercharger oil and air filter plus other small maintenance.

What dos "full tune up" mean?
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyTue Sep 19, 2023 2:58 am

Spark plugs , wires , coil packs , air filter, oil . Haven't done injectors yet but that's not usually included. Spark plugs iridium ac Delco gapped at .60 , blue ngk wires , msd coil packs ( the 5
D576 are sold out everywhere) I have the original coil packs and they are still good by the way . I'll probably get some wires with bigger mm and less resistance probably 8.5 mm msd . But none those should be problem.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888


Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 805
Merit : 8

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyTue Sep 19, 2023 11:44 am

Did you use Delco mounts, especially the one in the rear? If you use cheap aftermarket ones they are going to vibrate. I know from personal experience.
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 7:58 am

Wasn't cheap I don't use anything cheap. I did go store brand on the mounts though duralast . I don't think that's it but obviously idk
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888


Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 805
Merit : 8

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 9:02 am

That was my problem. The rubber is much harder and translates the vibration through the car.
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 9:17 am

You remember what brand
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888


Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 805
Merit : 8

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 9:18 am

West Star or something, got it on RockAuto. As soon as I change to an ACDelco mount it went away. That's why the aftermarket ones are $20 and the AC Delco is like 80
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 9:50 am

Oh no never go to cheap especially on unknown brands from rock auto . Mine are from AutoZone.... now I'm trying figure out if my clutch is bad or I need flush cus my trans ain't acting right. I'm changing the fluid the filter and gaskets this weekend. Hopefully that'll do it if not I'm changing solenoids and doing a flush . If that don't work the whole thing gets replaced.this what happens when cars sit they fall apart. Still 73000 miles though so imma keep investing
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888


Name : Brian Cohen
Joined : 2019-01-07
Post Count : 805
Merit : 8

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 9:51 am

Good luck on your quest.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 8:14 pm

meechie115 wrote:
Spark plugs , wires , coil packs , air filter, oil . Haven't done injectors yet but that's not usually included. Spark plugs iridium ac Delco gapped at .60 , blue ngk wires , msd coil packs ( the 5
D576 are sold out everywhere) I have the original coil packs and they are still good by the way . I'll probably get some wires with bigger mm and less resistance probably 8.5 mm msd . But none those should be problem.



Check that the primary resistances match each other coil to coil on the ones you pulled - and the secondaries as well.  If they match each other then put the old coils back on. A used D576 is better than a new pretty much anything,inm experience. Two of mine are original to the car and the third was a junkyard coil I got when the new coil I put on to replace one that a bad wire killed off, caused a slight lope.  That's about 410,000 miles of service.

As for wires, the Delco wires for the SC Riv are fine.  

You should check the spec on that sparkplug gap.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 8:15 pm

meechie115 wrote:
Oh no never go to cheap especially on unknown brands from rock auto . Mine are from AutoZone.... now I'm trying figure out if my clutch is bad or I need flush cus my trans ain't acting right. I'm changing the fluid the filter and gaskets this weekend. Hopefully that'll do it if not I'm changing solenoids and doing a flush . If that don't work the whole thing gets replaced.this what happens when cars sit they fall apart. Still 73000 miles though so imma keep investing

What do you mean by the transmission isn't acting right?
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie



Name : Meechie
Joined : 2023-08-29
Post Count : 12
Merit : 0

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 9:55 am

The D576 are nice they are hard to find I still have and my consider but the msd are just as good or the next best thing so should never be a noticeable difference. I can tell you don't understand what the car needs to perform well because you ask me to check but that's the manufactured gap . The old school if it ain't broke don't fix it works but it's narrow. These parts are fine . The wires could be better but they're not bad . I'll see what happens after my last motor mount is changed and belts replaced. My trans fluid needed flush and I did that and replaced filter with gasket also cleaned my solenoid. Should be fine now I didn't receive check engine light but trans was showing different faults but none consistent and from the look of the filter and fluid I say it's good now.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship


Name : Dave
Age : 75
Location : Weymouth, MA
Joined : 2009-01-01
Post Count : 355
Merit : 37

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 12:19 pm

I had a '97 Riviera once. Vibration was up through the steering wheel. Replaced the tranny mounts with replacement Delco's and vibration was gone. Also, remember that the '97 suspension was a one-year-only type. So, you might look into engine mounts too.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 10:01 pm

meechie115 wrote:
The D576 are nice they are hard to find I still have and my consider but the msd are just as good or the next best thing so should never be a noticeable difference. I can tell you don't understand what the car needs to perform well because you ask me to check but that's the manufactured gap . The old school if it ain't broke don't fix it works but it's narrow. These parts are fine . The wires could be better but they're not bad . I'll see what happens after my last motor mount is changed and belts replaced. My trans fluid needed flush and I did that and replaced filter with gasket also cleaned my solenoid. Should be fine now I didn't receive check engine light but trans was showing different faults but none consistent and from the look of the filter and fluid I say it's good now.

I guess you'll just work on ti until you're done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration    Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration  Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Rough idle vibration in steering wheel and pulsating noise and vibration
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Strange intermittent vibration/chatter/noise behind dash
» need steering wheel, please help!
» FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports
» Steering Wheel
» FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: