Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 No heat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Not getting any heat out of my 98 riv.. it was fine until I drained the radiator & reservoir refilled with 50/50 dexcool did I do something wrong?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS


Name : Larry
Age : 67
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 2190
Merit : 149

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 6:16 pm

Dan B wrote:
Not getting any heat out of my 98 riv.. it was fine until I drained the radiator & reservoir refilled with 50/50 dexcool did I do something wrong?

Radiator level is probably low. Wait until cool, then remove the cap and check.

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 am

Radiator & reservoir are full so dug deeper here on the board, led me to this located behind glove box, I'm guessing that crack isn't by design.. oh so backing up a little only driver side had no heat, passenger side has it.. I actually thought I had a rodent problem with all the noise under the dash.. this actuator I believe operates a blend door No heat Kimg0511
No heat Kimg0510No heat Kimg0511
No heat Kimg0510
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am

fairly common problem and the aftermarket actuators sold via Amazon are fine actually. Just look for them using the GM part number(s) on the sticker on your actuator. OR you can also just get the gear - there's a couple people who 3D print the things and also see https://www.amazon.com/Blend-Door-Actuator-Gear-Rebuild/dp/B01BKW3AKI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa.

Most likely installing one of those $13.- gears will 100% fix your problem once-and-done.
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 am

Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 8:26 pm

Well crap all 5 actuators are cracked like that what the hell??
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 8:28 pm

No heat Kimg0611
No heat Kimg0610
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 pm

Dan B wrote:
Well crap all 5 actuators are cracked like that what the hell??

...dont overthink it, just replace the gears.

used to be able to get the older actuators with metal gears from junkyard(out of 80s GM pickup trucks for instance) and swap the old gears into the newer actuators.

not anymore really

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 9:40 pm

Not really over thinking just curious as to why they all broke.. it's a m.f.'er to reach 1 of them on the driver's side got the whole dash ripped out oh boy
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R


Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 8060
Merit : 105

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pm

The plasticizers gas out over time, making the part brittle. The hole in the factory gear is a bit smaller than the metal cylinder it's pressed on to, that's what holds the gear in place when it's new, and what causes the gear to split when it's old.
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptySun May 12, 2024 10:01 pm

Surprised myself.. between adjusting positioning of blend door shafts & actuator holes, ripping out dash/re-assembling thought for sure I was gonna have a mess on my hands BUT with the help here both new & archived I got it done & HVAC is working perfect. Bit the bullet & got new dorman replacement actuators, so far so good. Got the tough one (upper) on driver's side removed without removing front seat but had to remove it to install new actuator as I'm 50 & weigh 255, in other words old & fat.. was nice to lay on back and be able to look up, project took a toll on my back but a nice long drive with seat heater on high fixed that haha..

NEW ISSUE.. stupid gas gauge isnt working now wonder if I screwed up a wire putting dash back together? Gonna live with it for now, our tanks are what 18 gallon? Figure just use the trip meter at fillups & not go over 250-300 miles..

Just want to say thanks for the help!


Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyMon May 13, 2024 9:44 pm

Dan B wrote:
Surprised myself.. between adjusting positioning of blend door shafts & actuator holes, ripping out dash/re-assembling thought for sure I was gonna have a mess on my hands BUT with the help here both new & archived I got it done & HVAC is working perfect. Bit the bullet & got new dorman replacement actuators, so far so good. Got the tough one (upper) on driver's side removed without removing front seat but had to remove it to install new actuator as I'm 50 & weigh 255, in other words old & fat.. was nice to lay on back and be able to look up, project took a toll on my back but a nice long drive with seat heater on high fixed that haha..

NEW ISSUE.. stupid gas gauge isnt working now wonder if I screwed up a wire putting dash back together? Gonna live with it for now, our tanks are what 18 gallon? Figure just use the trip meter at fillups & not go over 250-300 miles..

Just want to say thanks for the help!



If you scrounge around you should find a replacement level sending unit that will fit on your fuel pump.  Pull the fuel pump then take a cell phone snapshot of the sending unit, and use google image search to find one, or take the snapshot to your local NAPA, Advance Auto, or other full-line auto parts store and ask.

Albertj


Last edited by albertj on Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyTue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm

albertj wrote:
Dan B wrote:
Surprised myself.. between adjusting positioning of blend door shafts & actuator holes, ripping out dash/re-assembling thought for sure I was gonna have a mess on my hands BUT with the help here both new & archived I got it done & HVAC is working perfect. Bit the bullet & got new dorman replacement actuators, so far so good. Got the tough one (upper) on driver's side removed without removing front seat but had to remove it to install new actuator as I'm 50 & weigh 255, in other words old & fat.. was nice to lay on back and be able to look up, project took a toll on my back but a nice long drive with seat heater on high fixed that haha..

NEW ISSUE.. stupid gas gauge isnt working now wonder if I screwed up a wire putting dash back together? Gonna live with it for now, our tanks are what 18 gallon? Figure just use the trip meter at fillups & not go over 250-300 miles..

Just want to say thanks for the help!



If you scrounge around you should fine a replacement level sending unit that will fit on your fuel pump.  Pull the fuel pump then take a cell phone snapshot of the sending unit, and use google image search to find one, or take the snapshot to your local NAPA, Advance Auto, or other full-line auto parts store and ask.

Albertj
Probly mentioned before I have an 04 regal gs parts car wonder if that sending unit would work. Thanks for the clever ideas..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj


Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 8643
Merit : 181

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyWed May 15, 2024 9:59 pm

Dan B wrote:
albertj wrote:
Dan B wrote:
Surprised myself.. between adjusting positioning of blend door shafts & actuator holes, ripping out dash/re-assembling thought for sure I was gonna have a mess on my hands BUT with the help here both new & archived I got it done & HVAC is working perfect. Bit the bullet & got new dorman replacement actuators, so far so good. Got the tough one (upper) on driver's side removed without removing front seat but had to remove it to install new actuator as I'm 50 & weigh 255, in other words old & fat.. was nice to lay on back and be able to look up, project took a toll on my back but a nice long drive with seat heater on high fixed that haha..

NEW ISSUE.. stupid gas gauge isnt working now wonder if I screwed up a wire putting dash back together? Gonna live with it for now, our tanks are what 18 gallon? Figure just use the trip meter at fillups & not go over 250-300 miles..

Just want to say thanks for the help!



If you scrounge around you should fine a replacement level sending unit that will fit on your fuel pump.  Pull the fuel pump then take a cell phone snapshot of the sending unit, and use google image search to find one, or take the snapshot to your local NAPA, Advance Auto, or other full-line auto parts store and ask.

Albertj
Probably mentioned before I have an 04 regal gs parts car wonder if that sending unit would work. Thanks for the clever ideas..

Maybe - but if the contact wiper on the rheostat is worn (it probably is) it won't work long. Your best move is find a new (probably NOS) one. The slick move is - not that long ago they used to sell just the contact wiper, which is the part that really wears out If you go to an auto parts store that has old stock around you might luck up on one -- whcih is why you relly need to pull the pump and take pictures.

Dan B likes this post

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo


Name : Mark
Age : 59
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3162
Merit : 104

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyFri May 31, 2024 9:44 pm

I just found this thread, so it's too late for Dan, but I would share something else when replacing the flat-pack motors.  I replaced the easy passenger-side blend-air door motor with a $25 eBay special with the 1-piece plastic gear.  It worked perfectly smoothly & quietly... for a year.  I opened it up and found that they had put so much grease in it that it simply got on the position-sensor rheostat and isolated the brushes!  Simple fix and it's been running fine for another couple years.  Thus, I would recommend that anyone buying new motors should open 'em up and check the grease as well as the gears...

ALSO, don't forget that there are two different fuel pumps:  One for the supercharged engines with a 2-speed module in the LH side of the trunk, and another for the normally aspirated L36...  Years ago I was lucky enough to buy a pair of discrete sending units for maybe $20-25 apiece, and a hi-flow L67 pump for $65 or so - instead of an entire $400 spring-loaded 'module'.   I needed the dumb sending unit right away because they used a HUGE brass ferule to connect it to the printed rheostat that didn't get pressed quite tight enough, but I still have the original fuel pump running fine at 146,000 miles, probably because it spends most of its time running at 1/2 or 2/3 power...


Last edited by Eldo on Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total

albertj likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan B
Amateur



Name : Dan B
Joined : 2022-01-11
Post Count : 38
Merit : 1

No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 10:28 pm

Hey Eldo just saw & responded to your pm. My fuel gauge seems ok now.. does seem to stay on full for 100 miles or so but then reads accurately, weird..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





No heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: No heat   No heat Empty

Back to top Go down
 
No heat
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» no heat?
» AC Compressor is on when heat is on?
» FAQ: Warm/Hot Air on Drivers Side, Cold on Passenger Side
» Summer Heat Concerns
» FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: