Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VaRiviera
Special
VaRiviera

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring Empty
PostSubject: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyTue Jun 11, 2024 7:45 pm

1996 Riviera - at dusk/night time - both the digital odometer/trip monitor and the digital gear range (inside of the instrument cluster) go haywire (looks like back to the future!) because/as soon as the twilight sentinel turns on the headlamps and dash lights.

Turning the twilight sentinel off (part of the headlamp switch) turns off the headlamps and dash lights - and the digitals go back to normal - steady - no 'blipping - no haywiring.

During the day - when cardboard is placed over the ambient photocell - 10 seconds later the headlamps and dash lights come on - but - the digital aspects of cluster go haywire. Take the cardboard off the photocell - and 10 seconds later the headlamps & dash lights turn off and everything is normal.
Searched a bunch of the past threads and didn't find anyone's car that shared this exact same problem. Only thing I did was clean photocell with alcohol/q-tip but still have digital 'haywiring.'

Here is a link to a youtube short - this 1999 has the same digital haywiring problem - only with my 1996 the headlamps do not flash on and off - luckily they both stay on while the dash is going berzerk...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LtBs1-dq4-8

Thanks to the forum members for any tips.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyTue Jun 11, 2024 10:08 pm

start by checking all your fuses
Back to top Go down
VaRiviera
Special
VaRiviera

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyWed Jun 12, 2024 4:48 pm

Great tip - I appreciate this and you very much. Yes, all fuses under back seat fuse blocks -and- all fuses at drivers dash side panel are good.

I do have the FSM and gone through it - only this problem doesn't appear to be part of the trouble shooting diagnosis.

Here is a vid I took yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8Uwhq3aAZDA
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyThu Jun 13, 2024 10:25 pm

The headlamp switch controls the duration of the lights-off delay for nightlighting when you park the car at night. If it is changing your twilight sentinel behavior you probably need to replace the switch.

I think there may be something amiss in your instrument cluster. When did it start doing this?
Back to top Go down
VaRiviera
Special
VaRiviera

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyFri Jun 14, 2024 5:45 pm

Great reply, thanks for that, have been living with it for a few weeks - just annoying is all. Here is a little solid state dude that may be the culprit -or- may be the PCM itself - will keep you most excellent guys informed as it progresses - was still hoping some had seen this a dozen times!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 10:41 pm

VaRiviera wrote:
Great reply, thanks for that, have been living with it for a few weeks - just annoying is all. Here is a little solid state dude that may be the culprit  -or- may be the PCM itself - will keep you most excellent guys informed as it progresses - was still hoping some had seen this a dozen times!!

Was any work done on the car just before the cluster started acting up? any work at all?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 12:31 pm

VaRiviera wrote:
Great reply, thanks for that, have been living with it for a few weeks - just annoying is all. Here is a little solid state dude that may be the culprit  -or- may be the PCM itself - will keep you most excellent guys informed as it progresses - was still hoping some had seen this a dozen times!!

I've seen that on the Climate Control, which is a 'classic problem' with the vacuum-fluorescent displays because they used an underrated resistor.  I've never seen it on the PRNDL or Odometer, though they ARE also vac-fluro displays.  I've gone crazy trying to find the actual dashboard circuits in my manual, but I can't find ANY circuits downstream from the Dimmer Module...
Back to top Go down
VaRiviera
Special
VaRiviera

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring EmptyYesterday at 5:37 pm

No work has been done in or around the dash/cluster - this Riv only has 24,000+ miles and appears to be 'unmolested.'

I like AlbertJ asked if anyone had been anywhere up there by the cluster wiring/etc - that could have touched or disturbed the wrong thing.

The odometer and probably the PRD123 digitals look in wiring diagram to have 28 year old solid state capacitors - either or both may be failing/defective. In that case remove cluster and send out for repair to expert -or- home fix with new capacitor(s.)

Also - these solid state capacitor circuits feed into ground 'distributions' -  a bad ground is never good. Tearing apart the dash is time consuming/labor intensive - for now its just a night time aggravation - during the day all is normal/well - but with the chance the capacitors are leaking I may have to decide to go in and start the cluster removal atleast for a visual inspection. Thanks men for taking time out on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring   1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring Empty

Back to top Go down

1996 odometer and gears digital haywiring
Page 1 of 1