Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On

Go down 
+75
JR3800
makemann1
designer1962
th3fr4nchi5e
al_roethlisberger
jbeganny
chitown_riv98
bmcd9179
joshuadalegrimes
taongisurvivor
matt270avian
bigdave
back in BLACK
crstump
sniperdude
ZEP
RidzRiv
portiz966
adri
rk0ehn
atteboy1
Jack the R
SCbuick010
jonly
Eldo
1998 Riv
robotennis61
Abaddon
BrianEsser
moldymac
GMFreak8
duckstu
nigelf
jamie
Mikel
RivGuy
jrocha
BKRIV
Snowdog
ibmoses
curious riv
Rickw
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
manofmany
1wickedninja
Pudgee
SuperRiv07
jrockstangs
'96reese
baynes72
Chicken
willy#1
Natesriv
TypetoHarry
Shintsu
96RIVMANN
albertj
BillBoost37
330racing
54_nailhead
ChiTownRiv
Jason
etosino2009
L67
steel2040
turtleman
racinfan
lionfish
deekster_caddy
AA
98riv
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
NO 4 EVR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

Yep. The traction control is quite touchy. Look how fast it engages when you attempt to smoke the tires.....Mine comes on even from a 55 roll, like getting onto the freeway. If I hammer it to catch up to traffic the dumb thing engages. I know the tires aren't spinning, but they must have just enough slip for TC engagement.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:45 am

well the new ECU sorted the traction light! the light did come back on with the SES lamp with ABS out of range and batt voltage but probably because i put the car in reverse to pull away.

codes were cleared and havent returned 12 mile drive to work. not bad for 80 bucks....

Nigel
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 am

So you've had the ABS light come on since you've swapped the PCM? Let us know if it comes back.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am

Wow, that was one hell of a mess confused
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 pm

A mess was true! I dont know what caused it all to sort of fail in one go! niggly faults ...so... 60 miles and no ABS,TC or SES lamp ...

Fingers crossed the batt voltage is not causing burnout of the ecu an alternator can push out a few volts and at some mighty current.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm

nigelf wrote:
Fingers crossed the batt voltage is not causing burnout of the ecu an alternator can push out a few volts and at some mighty current.
Only if you have a bad regulator / rectifier. Easy enough to test if you feel like removing and opening up the Alternator.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Traction Off and ABS Iight both just came on   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptySun May 23, 2010 7:58 pm

both lights just lit this weekend. Just did brake change (lights on before that), so I cleaned each sensor...

Car drives just fine, but lights are on. Anyone have both lights go on? I'm thinking a hub,, but maybe someone had this happen too... and it was something else...

thoughts?

Gracias
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptySun May 23, 2010 9:36 pm

If it's a wheel speed sensor (hub) both lights should come on. That's what happened to mine.
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Most likley a hub. I FINALLY got my problem solved. After replacing the 2 front hubs that were making noise I found the problem to be the rear driver's side sensor. Luckily one of the sensors from the front was apparently not bad so I used that to "test" the remaing rear sensors until I found the one triggering the light.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 12:26 pm

how much are hubs? Would a diagnositic at Meineke (they can pull ABS codes) show WHICH hub it is?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Natesriv wrote:
how much are hubs? Would a diagnositic at Meineke (they can pull ABS codes) show WHICH hub it is?
You can buy a Timken (USA Made) through Rock Auto for about $115.00 plus shipping. This is one of those parts that you don't want to save money by buying a Chinese one for $50.00. Just not worth the aggravation of premature failure.
If you are going to pay the shop to do the whole job, First insist on an American Made Hub and bearing Assembly (Timken) and be prepared to pay twice as much for the part.

The second part of your question = Yes, of course. Otherwise you would be changing hubs blindly hoping to find the bad one. You may find that it is just a broken wire coming from one of the hubs. The speed sensors are built into the hubs and are not serviceable separately.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Timken will read ABS codes?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Timken is the name of the manufacturer of the Hub and Bearing assembly.
It is not a tool.
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 7:38 pm

And don't waste yout time with one of those Actron brand ABS scanners you see at autozone or advance. They don't support our cars. Its worth getting scanned, although if you have a bearing that is making noise you might want to replace it as theres a good chance its the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah...I need to fix the s/c noise first, then to Meineke for the scan...then a new hub(s) I suppose...

but what I REALLY NEED.... a new pearl white hood. The paint is coming off in chunks right now...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue May 25, 2010 9:10 pm

That hub growl can put you in "tennis shoe" mode real fast. I'd fix that first.....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyTue May 25, 2010 9:15 pm

"tennis shoe mode" lol
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 pm

I've now got an ABS light that turns on as soon as I hit 15mph, every time. Always off at start up. Guess I'll be checking connectors when I find time.

Funny, after 2 days, my ABS light is off again... immediately after I experienced a very hard brake pedal for just a split second. Backed foot off brake then pushed again and it was normal.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm

You need to pull the code(s) man......Hard pedal then normal pedal may be something other than a hub.....
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Dave, you and I are experiencing near the exact same issue. Mine used to come on once every week or two, then would be fine for a while. Then it started happening more often. I noticed it would usually come on when I hit a bump on the driver side of the car - had to hit a good one to set it off.

Now it's almost always on, even when I first start the car. I'm trying to decide if the bumps on the driver side were significant or not. The front driver hub was replaced last year, but the rears are original. Also the ABS module is on the driver side as well. I do get the odd brake activity (hard pedal) very rarely though - it's like the pedal is testing the ABS system, or thinks the wheels are spinning when they're not. I'm tempted to replace the rear bearings, just not 100% sure yet, and they aren't cheap. Other than the ABS issue, the rear bearings seem fine.

I also need to check the wiring to the speed sensors. Bumps could cause the wires to move, setting off the light. I think I may take it in to the dealer and see what they want to read any hidden codes. May be easy to diagnose the issue that way.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Bumps have had nothing to do with my ABS light turning on. For 2 or 3 days now, it's been coming on exactly when I hit 15mph, not sooner or later. If I idle around a parking lot after starting the car, the light stays off.

My hard pedal has actually happened since I bought the car what... 4yrs ago? But very rarely, maybe 3 times in a year and not repetitive, just once and done followed by normal brake function.

I'll find time to worry about codes when I have some time off work. Are these type of codes stored after the light has stayed off?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
I'll find time to worry about codes when I have some time off work. Are these type of codes stored after the light has stayed off?

Yes. They will be stored as History DTC's. You will probably have between a C1221 and C1237. Those and all between are WSS codes.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Quote :
My hard pedal has actually happened since I bought the car what... 4yrs ago? But very rarely, maybe 3 times in a year and not repetitive, just once and done followed by normal brake function.
Same with mine. It happened maybe once or twice per year - I thought it was some kind of periodic ABS check. But now that the ABS light is on, it's much more frequent. It's only a single incident, followed by normal braking function.

I want to get mine fixed before fall. Whenever the ABS light comes on, the ABS system is disabled, so your brakes become unsafe in a panic stop or on slippery surfaces. Will let you know what I find out.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 8:09 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
I've now got an ABS light that turns on as soon as I hit 15mph, every time. Always off at start up. Guess I'll be checking connectors when I find time.

Funny, after 2 days, my ABS light is off again... immediately after I experienced a very hard brake pedal for just a split second. Backed foot off brake then pushed again and it was normal.

Ironically, you are describing both modes of the same (normal) occurrence, you lucky devil... wink

Allowing for speedometer error, that is the speed (12MPH) that the system performs its self-test on each driving cycle, so that is when it would throw a code if something fails the test.

If, however, you have your foot on the brake at that speed when things are working correctly, you will feel a pedal that goes hard much higher than usual, because you are catching the isolation-valve and TC-pump test... In fact, if the radio and A/C are off, you should be able to hear the pump motor run for a second or two at that moment. This part is normal, and always disappears as soon as you release the brake pressure.

As previously mentioned, though, you will have to read the codes to find out what is failing the test when the light comes on (and unfortunately I'm thinking $$$... either the EBTCM or the pump/valve assembly...)
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 8:16 pm

AA wrote:

Whenever the ABS light comes on, the ABS system is disabled, so your brakes become unsafe in a panic stop or on slippery surfaces.

...or you have to remember what life was like before abs and pump your own brakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On
Page 8 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next