Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Reno Nv on the list

Go down 
+2
nothincame2mind
Riv in Reno
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Riv in Reno
Rookie

Merit : 0

Reno Nv on the list Empty
PostSubject: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 1:37 am

A new owner, just today bought a '98 Riviera with 57,350 miles on it. It's white, so it has the GM "leprosy-coat" flake problem on the hood and some seam lines.
In some ways it reminds me of an American version of the Volvo 780, just bigger with better gas mileage.
Is there a good page to look up the info on the build list on the back of the spare tire cover?
Thanks,

Riv in Reno
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Welcome indeed! a 98 with low miles is a good find smile

Back to top Go down
Riv in Reno
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 8:31 pm

The biggest problem so far is that the last owner was a big time smoker...
One trick I was told about was to use vinegar in a spray mister and spray the mist through the system at the air intake at the base of the windshield, and to use it in the trunk to kill the smell in the trunk lining. It seems to work better than a cover-up spray. I'll take the car in to a detailer this week though.
The front struts seem a bit soft, even for a freeway cruiser. Is this normal?
Other than changing the supercharger oil are there any other hidden "check and fill" things to do?
The supercharged V6 is FUN... better gas mileage next week when I'm through playing with the go-fast pedal. It looks like 21mpg at this point with 90% in-town driving.
Thanks,

Riv in Reno
(who saw a bright PINK Riviera last week...)
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Welcome to the Riv family! banana Not sure about the build sheet, I'm sure someone here can help you though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 am

Quote :
Is there a good page to look up the info on the build list on the back of the spare tire cover?

Welcome!

Check the VIN on the spare tire cover. On my 95 Riiv there is a build list sticker on the inside of the rear passenger quarter panel. The VIN is for a 95 Aurora! The good news is they left a computer print out of the
original build list below the spare tire.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Welcome! I replaced my struts at 60K because I thought they were too soft. At the time there were no KYB options, only Monroe. Now you can choose KYB for the 98-99 to stiffen it a bit more. I'm very happy with my Monroes, but now they too have 50 K on them and are softening up a bit...
Back to top Go down
Riv in Reno
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 am

Thanks to deekster_caddy and lionfish, that gives me starting places.
I think I'm goint to like this ride.

Riv in Reno
'98 Riv, 89 Volvo 780 Turbo, 1943 MB jeep (stock, no machine gun yet)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reno Nv on the list   Reno Nv on the list Empty

Back to top Go down

Reno Nv on the list
Page 1 of 1