Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs

Go down 
+35
flyineagle96
pbrktrt
LT1Squirrel
Abaddon
Allstyle
Hometown Hero
GMFreak8
97 park ave
Eldo
IBx1
albertj
Z-type
robotennis61
Jack the R
Buapo
Rickw
Sweepspear
Supercharged
manofmany
ZEP
96RIVMANN
turtleman
NO 4 EVR
SoCal Riv
T Riley
Andysdorm
deekster_caddy
pwmin
Mr.Riviera
racinfan
jax95riv
1998 Riv
AA
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 pm

9006 low beam
9005 high beam
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:49 pm

While your looking for the 9005's (high beams) Eurolights, see if there is something other than 100 watt bulbs.
That's what they sent me and I'm a bit leery of using such a high wattage bulb.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Rickw wrote:
While your looking for the 9005's (high beams) Eurolights, see if there is something other than 100 watt bulbs.
That's what they sent me and I'm a bit leery of using such a high wattage bulb.

I say try them and let me know what happens. wink
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Quote :
it sounds like all you guys that have had the silverstars and switched to the Euros are liking them. Anyone disagree?
I like the 80W low beams a lot, and have used them 3 years so far. I don't run the 100W high beams, so don't know how these would hold up. I certainly would not try running both high and low beams on at the same time when using the Eurolights.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 am

GMFreak8 wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Did I buy the wrong bulbs for my High Beams.?
Haven't installed them yet but they are Eurolight's mentioned on here, are 9005's, but the box is marked 100 watts.
Is that too hot for our housings and wiring.????

So to break it down, which bulbs do I need for the lows and the highs? I wanna get the euro lights. I was going to get the silverstars but it sounds like all you guys that have had the silverstars and switched to the Euros are liking them. Anyone disagree?

So far I like the Eurolights just as good as the SilverStars. The question is which ones last longer. The Eurolights are a little cheaper than the SS bulbs, so if they last at least as long, they are worth it. I am still running my SilverStar high beams, which have been in for over 5 years without replacement.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 1:28 pm

This is the response from the e-mail I sent them regarding the 100 watt bulbs, 9005's.

"The bulbs require 65watts and produce brightness equal to 100watt bulbs.

They are designed as direct replacement upgrades."

Best
Regards
Mike C.
EuroLights(tm)
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 12:48 am

They shouldn't call them 100w bulbs then. Something in their documentation should state 65w, but equivalent to 100w, much like PIAA does.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Did I buy the wrong bulbs for my High Beams.?
Haven't installed them yet but they are Eurolight's mentioned on here, are 9005's, but the box is marked 100 watts.
Is that too hot for our housings and wiring.????

So to break it down, which bulbs do I need for the lows and the highs? I wanna get the euro lights. I was going to get the silverstars but it sounds like all you guys that have had the silverstars and switched to the Euros are liking them. Anyone disagree?

So far I like the Eurolights just as good as the SilverStars. The question is which ones last longer. The Eurolights are a little cheaper than the SS bulbs, so if they last at least as long, they are worth it. I am still running my SilverStar high beams, which have been in for over 5 years without replacement.

I'm not as worried about longevity as I am sharpness and accuracy. I want something that lets me see as clearly as daylight as possible. Although longevity is a plus.

As far as clearness and whatnot go, what are your opinions?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 pm

My personal opinion is spend the money for the PIAA's for at least the Low Beams, but if that just isn't in the budget then get the $35.00 w/free shipping Eurolights
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Rickw wrote:
My personal opinion is spend the money for the PIAA's for at least the Low Beams, but if that just isn't in the budget then get the $35.00 w/free shipping Eurolights

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is PIAA? I've been seeing the name, but kinda of just ignored it. lol
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Google PIAA for a better understanding of what they offer.
When it comes to buying a set they can be had for less than what the PIAA site sells them for I think.
I can't remember at the moment where I bought my set from but if your sure your definitely going to buy some I will look it up.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:23 pm

yeah definitely if you can let me know I'd appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Quote :
I'm not as worried about longevity as I am sharpness and accuracy. I want something that lets me see as clearly as daylight as possible.

For ultimate visibility, you need the highest brightness (HID). Also, in poor weather, yellow light actually provides greater contrast than blue light, so may want to take that into consideration.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:32 pm

AA wrote:
For ultimate visibility, you need the highest brightness (HID). Also, in poor weather, yellow light actually provides better contrast than blue light, so may want to take that into consideration.

Yeah I know I need HID for the ultimate, but I don't want the hassle of the ballasts and whatnot. I found the 9006 intense white series PIAA bulbs on Amazon for 42.99, which is cheaper than the Silverstars and only a few dollars more than the eurolights. Plus I have prime so I can get them here overnight if my bulbs burn out before I get these.

Are the intense white what you guys run or do you use one of the other varieties?

Edit: Cool, they have the H3 bulbs my foglights take too.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm

I've got the PIAA Intense White plus, They are the 4,000k, 9006, low beams.
I love them and have had them installed for over 2 years without a problem.
Nice bright White Light.
I'm glad you found them for such a good price. IIRC, I paid closer to $80.00 for the pair a couple of years ago and am still glad i bought them at that price.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 am

GMFreak8 wrote:
As far as clearness and whatnot go, what are your opinions?
I am overall very impressed with the improved light from both the SilverStars and the Eurolights. The whiter, crisper light output is a massive improvement over stock. When I got the car, the first rainy night I was out I realized I couldn't see any of the lines on the road, and it was like I barely had any lights on. With the SS or Eurolights, it's like having headlights on in the rain. I know that's a crappy description, but the difference is striking.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

I'm really looking forward to getting these PIAA's swapped, just haven't taken the time yet. I want to take before/after pics of the lights on the garage door too, for comparison.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Looks like I'll try the eurolights considering I've had the silverstars before. I might as well compare.. If they lasted for two years or so that's a nice bonus. Thanks for the opinions.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:38 am

AA wrote:
Speaking of EuroLights, mine should be ready to fail soon. First pair burned out Dec 17th, 2007. Next pair lasted until Dec 18th, 2008. It's been warmer lately, so maybe I'll get more out of them this time.
On the 399th day, my driver side Eurolight finally expired last night. I think that's a new record; will be reordering today. Hope the other one lasts through the weekend.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 am

GMFreak8 wrote:
I found the 9006 intense white series PIAA bulbs on Amazon for 42.99, which is cheaper than the Silverstars and only a few dollars more than the eurolights. Plus I have prime so I can get them here overnight if my bulbs burn out before I get these.
Kyle,
Did you end up getting the PIAA's or the Eurolights.?
And how do you like whichever ones you bought.?
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:04 am

I really don't understand the hype behind the Sylvania Siver stars? We started carrying them a little over a month ago and I gotta say their nothing special. Piaa is far best of our high end bulb line and we have 7 different lines from, Wagner True view, Sylvania Siverstar, Phillips Nightguide, Phillips Crystal Vision, GE Nighthawks, PIAA, Hella as well as all your standard OE equivalents.

From what I have seen, what I have sold , and what I have seen returned... spend the extra $, buy the Piaa's you would'nt ever be sorry you did. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:57 pm

SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 Kelvin1

I would imagine that the reference to Halogens in the above chart and how many Lumens they can put out based on Kelvin rating would also be dependent on the manufacturer of bulb. Do you agree?
Unfortunately not all Mfg's will report the Lumen output. At least that's been my evaluation.
A for instance is the PIAA 4,000k Halogen bulbs i have. I have been unable to find the output rating in Lumens.
But based on the above chart they should be about 3,000 Lm. Is that correct or am i reading the chart incorrectly.?

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Different halogen bulb manufacturers use different wattage ratings, and their bulbs emit light of slightly different Kelvin temp (color). So we could assume that a higher wattage bulb or a higher Kelvin (above 3200ºK) bulb could yield more Lumens output. If they don't state the Lumen output, you take a chance. I think I read a review where the PIAA had less luminous output than Silverstars.

Understand the above chart is comparing HID bulbs to a 3200ºK halogen of unknown wattage. The 35W HID bulbs are more efficient, and so produce more Lumens, regardless of Kelvin temp (but have less advantage at higher Kelvin). So you can't assume a 4000ºK halogen will put out as much light as a 4000ºK HID. But you can assume a 4000ºK halogen will be brighter than a 3200ºK halogen. FYI, I've not seen a halogen bulb advertise more than 2000 Lumens output.

EDIT: some info on PIAAs from: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17639

Quote :
piaa______60w, 1200 lumens, 4000k $65ish
silverstar__70w, 1700 lumens, 4000k $19.95
sylvania xl_70w, 1700 lumnes, 3150k $10.99

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:43 pm

AA wrote:
Understand the above chart is comparing HID bulbs to a 3200ºK halogen of unknown wattage.
The chart makes more sense now.
The bottom only said Halogen, so it wasn't all that clear.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean. As far as I know, there are very few halogen bulbs spec'd much over 4000ºK. The Eurolights are 4100ºK according to the spec.

I've been looking into alternatives to the Eurolights. $35 per year is okay, and they are bright, but there are some newer bulbs on the market. I checked into the HID route, but the only ones I feel comfortable buying are Philips ($350) or McCulloch ($250). All of the $50-80 options are basically the same Chinese product, imo. And based on some of the problems I've seen people having in the HID thread, I'm not convinced it's worth doing.

After some searching for better halogens, I found these:

SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 PHILIPS-X-TREME-POWER-R48235-0

Lots of good reviews from other forums, and some good photos of the beams. Since the X-Tremes are legal 55W bulbs, I'm curious to see how they stack up next to the Eurolights. Bulbs are on the way, so if they get here before my other bulb fails, I'll try to get a photo of the new & old for comparison.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs   SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

SilverStars, EuroLights, X-treme Power & other Halogen Bulbs
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next