Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads

Go down 
+58
RidzRiv
al_roethlisberger
matt270avian
sniperdude
69GSColorado
joshuadalegrimes
MrWood88
charlieRobinson
nothincame2mind
gmann3001
J. Chris Davis
pj_rage
Abaddon
robotennis61
Jayrydingslab
flyineagle96
Hometown Hero
Derek
Fuzzy
EatDirtFartDust
GMfan1111
Snowdog
blackbart95
Jack the R
Eldo
IBx1
Its a car part now
lyonsperformance
1995 Riv
Rickw
manofmany
captshiner
Turbocharged400sbc
98SuperRiv
Buapo
palermocorey90
ewolfe0050
albertj
deekster_caddy
T Riley
99Rivman
RhinoFLA
allfalldown
dreww
Face
SpaceBar
HirohataMerc
robertwolf86
turtleman
98riv
racinfan
TType_Riviera
urbsnspices
duffy
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
jax95riv
AA
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 22 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Our pistons do NOT rotate as they extend. That tab is there to prevent the piston from rotating. The e-brake uses a mechanical screw, which is why you have to 'wind' them back in when you replace the pad. The grooves in the piston need to be lined up to go around that tab when you put it back together.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 22 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 12:45 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Our pistons do NOT rotate as they extend. That tab is there to prevent the piston from rotating. The e-brake uses a mechanical screw, which is why you have to 'wind' them back in when you replace the pad. The grooves in the piston need to be lined up to go around that tab when you put it back together.

Good to know. So do all rear pads for our cars have this tab?
And if i hit the E brake it will cause the piston to rotate out, but not during normal operation?

Matthew

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 22 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 1:29 pm

The piston never rotates during normal use, e-brake or not. The tab/slot keeps it from rotating. The e-brake turns a screw on the inside which forces the piston out. That's also the 'adjustment' and the screw prevents the piston from retracting too far back. So when you go to replace pads, you need to screw the piston back in - that's the only time the piston ever turns.

Every rear-disc GM I've seen since the mid-90's have been the identical way. My '94 Regal was like this. The rear-disc conversion kit I had for my '86 Suburban used this too, but the calipers were from a '78 Eldorado.... I never needed to replace the pads but based on the e-brake setup I think it was the same design. With the exception that the '78 Eldo calipers leaked brake fluid...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads
Page 22 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22