Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder

Go down 
+5
robotennis61
TType_Riviera
AA
96RIVMANN
albertj
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Why? What does that mean?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:45 pm

it's probably a play on words - it took me over a year to get around to posting the pictures; RivieraTType posted "photobucket is your friend" a while back and I ended up using photobucket to put put the snaps.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 am

Does it work like the Motive Power Bleaders do? I have one of those with adapters for domestics, Euro and Japaneese master cylinder resevoirs,...and also a Mighty Vac. As cool as the Motive unit is,...I find myself just using the Mighty Vac most of the time.

I'll just put a good suction on each corner and give the brake pedal a pump or two to speed things up. (Usually I always do that for the rears. The rears don't seem to draw through as easilly as the fronts.

I'll check under the hood this morning,...and then swing by the parts yard to grab a EBCM or two. The dealer wanted $700 for one. The parts yard is $8 - $22.

Viva recycling.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:58 pm

If you already have a Motive you don't likely need the converted sprayer. My design avoids the possibility of leaking at the gauge or connections and siphons back fluid to the right level (the motive will not - using it you will likely spill fluid when you are done). On the other hand, mine won't exactly take various adapters. You'd have to rig a gauged cap for each different MC you want to work on.

One reason to use a power bleeder of some description, is that the problem with the rears that you mention (above) goes away.

One problem with pumping the brake pedal is if you go past the customary travel of the MC piston and the bore is not smooth it will chew up the piston seal.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:32 pm

duckstu wrote:
Does it work like the Motive Power Bleaders do? I have one of those with adapters for domestics, Euro and Japaneese master cylinder resevoirs,...and also a Mighty Vac. As cool as the Motive unit is,...I find myself just using the Mighty Vac most of the time.
I'll just put a good suction on each corner and give the brake pedal a pump or two to speed things up. (Usually I always do that for the rears. The rears don't seem to draw through as easilly as the fronts.
I'll check under the hood this morning,...and then swing by the parts yard to grab a EBCM or two. The dealer wanted $700 for one. The parts yard is $8 - $22.
Viva recycling.
Question; I have a hand held pistol grip type Mighty Vac with the brake bleeder cup attachment that I've used for years when bleeding the brakes on motorcycles. Some of them do not have the bleeder screw at the lowest point in the system, so vacuum bleeding became necessary. And this tool is also necessary when diagnosing vacuum controlled valves, etc on auto's and bikes.
My question is while using one of these to bleed the brakes, how could you possibly apply the brake pedal at the same time while working alone.?
How can you maintain negative pressure (vacuum) and maintain the fluid reservoir level with brake fluid while using this tool.???? Are we talking apples to apples.?
I also have a MightyVac MV7201 that holds 2.2 gallons and is pressurized by pumping a handle similar to a garden sprayer.
It can be used to provide vacuum in larger volumes and/or pressure to pump out what is in the 2.2 gallon reservoir.
I have yet to use this one to vacuum out my Brake System alone as it will pull the reservoir dry in no time. I guess what i need to do is put a longer hose on it and be able to monitor the Brake Fluid reservoir fluid level while applying vacuum and replenishing the reservoir as needed.

Last edited by Rickw on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Sometimes on rear calipers, the Mighty Vac just can't pull hard enough to get more than a few oz of fluid, so you could pump 25 psi vacuum, leave it connected, then pump the brake a little to get it moving.

I've never had the above problem with the Riviera, but on a Honda, a Toyota, and a Saturn, it was difficult to pull the fluid through the rears without some pedal assistance.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 pm

I see.
I've always left the bleeder screws open until i start to get fluid flow from gravity, then close all screws and proceed to vacuum bleed from that point.
With this new, larger unit, I can pull much more vacuum (and fluid) more quickly, thereby shortening the length of time necessary to do the job.
This unit also allows me to remove the Trans fluid in the pan and make a partial fluid change if i so desire.
With the amount of miles I put on the Riviera per year, I'll pull out what fluid i can annually and top off with fresh fluid and do a complete pan drop and filter change every 3 years. At least that is my plan. I only have 2 years on it since complete overhaul, so I plan on dropping the pan and replacing filter next season.
I've also used it to completely flush the power steering system.
Handy to have around, I've drained the fuel for all my carburated equipment with this to avoid the Ethanol problems associated with leaving fuel in them over the winter also.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:40 pm

After re-reading Alberts post on making a pressure bleeder, I believe I have the necessary stuff to make one that will fill the reservoir and re-fill automatically.
All I need to do is get the proper cap for my MC and the fittings and a 30 psi gauge and I can make / modify my current MV7201 to do the same thing as his unit.
Should have thought of this sooner.
Will just be an addition to my set-up. Only custom for the Riv.
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Rickw wrote:

............, how could you possibly apply the brake pedal at the same time while working alone.?
How can you maintain negative pressure (vacuum) and maintain the fluid reservoir level with brake fluid while using this tool.???? Are we talking apples to apples.?

I find that the fluid comes out of the rear calipers very slowly,...so much so that you can pump up a vacuum with the Mighty Vac, and it will stay a vacuum for a few minutes.

So with the Mighty Vacs' vacuum container plumbed in-line between one of the caliper bleader screws and the Mighty Vac pump,...I pump up a vacuum and open the bleader screw 1/2 turn. Then I situate the hose and such in some way that the vacuum reservoir stays upright (so the Mighty Vac pump itself doesn't injest brake fluid). Then I can get up and go pump the brake pedal. (slowly).

You won't need to close and open the bleader screw while this is going on,...the vacuum that is applied to the bleader screw will keep the caliper from injesting air as you release the brake pedal each time.

I find I have to give it 5-6 pumps to do the right rear (the first wheel I do),....2 or so for the left rear,...then 3 perhaps for the right front,..and perhaps 2 tfor the left front.

With my Subaru I change the fluid 3-4 times a year at least (it sees track duty). With that car I alternate between the ATE Yellow and ATE Super Blue. The color difference helps you see when the new fluid has arrived.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks a lot for your response and clarification.
Rick
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Rickw wrote:
After re-reading Alberts post on making a pressure bleeder, I believe I have the necessary stuff to make one that will fill the reservoir and re-fill automatically.
All I need to do is get the proper cap for my MC and the fittings and a 30 psi gauge and I can make / modify my current MV7201 to do the same thing as his unit.
Should have thought of this sooner.
Will just be an addition to my set-up. Only custom for the Riv.

Should work fine as long as you can get the MV7201 and its hoses clean enough, and as long as the fittings can be made tight enough not to admit any air.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 8:33 am

Jeg's has a Brake Bleeder on sale for reasonable money, if anyone is interested.

www.jegs.com/p/Motive-Products/Motive-Products-Power-Bleeders/753543/10002/-1

It appears from the application chart that the one that comes with adapter # 1108 is the one to fit the Riviera. (Late model GM)
Back to top Go down
RIVhorsepwr
Rookie
RIVhorsepwr

Name : Erik
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Rickw wrote:
Jeg's has a Brake Bleeder on sale for reasonable money, if anyone is interested.

www.jegs.com/p/Motive-Products/Motive-Products-Power-Bleeders/753543/10002/-1

It appears from the application chart that the one that comes with adapter # 1108 is the one to fit the Riviera. (Late model GM)

That's not bad, about ~3x the price of the parts to make one. Looks like they made it a copy of a design I saw posted on line - it's not hard to locate. Further comments:

• I don't think putting the gauge in the pressure bottle is such a swell idea. Means you have to watch the bottle when you should be watching the MC.

I am sure their adapters fit but they do not have nipples to siphon the excess fluid back out of the MC. So when you pump up with this thing, letting the pressure off means that you will still have fluid spilling out the MC.

Looks like they had similar problems to the issues I encountered when looking for a low pressure gauge (unobtainium). The working pressure when bleeding a brake system is 10-25 pounds. That is enough to see seepage if things are clean otherwise. And it is low enough not to screw up the ABS motor and valving.

The other big advantage to theirs is you don't have to engineer it yourself. I'm sure they will sell many into the DIY set, although the price could be better.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the write up. I have used the handheld vacuum pump to bleed the brakes, but this seemed to work better and faster. I didn't even put the fluid in the sprayer. I manually filled the reservoir after each wheel.

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm

98riv wrote:
Thanks for the write up.  I have used the handheld vacuum pump to bleed the brakes, but this seemed to work better and faster.  I didn't even put the fluid in the sprayer.  I manually filled the reservoir after each wheel.
You're welcome, used mine several years, have replaced gauge and made a head to bleed late model Fords (by necessity).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 7:47 pm

It's been 12 years - I still use the brake bleeder as built. Every couple years, a brake fluid change. Also makes maintenance somewhat easier.

As Esso used to say, "Happy Motoring!"

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder   Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Make a Brake Bleeder
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2