Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

shift knob

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: shift knob   shift knob EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I had a problem this morning that I hope is isolated to the few remaining very cold mornings here in the north central US. The detent button on top of my shift know would not depress. This has happened on a few other cold mornings but usually when it warms up it will go, I sat for nearly 5 minutes today waiting for it to release but then again it was 4 degrees and for our canadian membership that's farenheight.
My question: is there some method of lubrication or can i apply some grease to prevent this form happening?
Are there some nice aftermarket shift knobs available without too much fabrication? I'm thinking a nice Hurst or B/M handle would look really nice in place of the OEM.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: Re: shift knob   shift knob EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I've never had a problem with the button on the shift knob not pressing due to cold. And I'm up here in canada(it was just under 0F today). There has been occasion though where it would exibit the same thing you have mentioned but that was related to having to apply brake to shift from park(like the little light says). I've had occasion where even with applying the break the lock is still in place and won't let me shift out of park. A little break petal action seems to stop the problem. HAvent had an issue with it in a long time though.

Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: Re: shift knob   shift knob EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 1:07 pm

Hmm, never heard of anyone else having this issue. The knob can be removed, there's a U-clip on the front (facing the dash) side of the knob/lever assy. Pull the clip out and maybe you can clean it, or possibly there's a spring that needs replacing??? Don't know, haven't had it apart. I've read a number of threads regarding knobs, do a search here and on www.regalgs.org as well. We used to hang in their Riviera section til AA started up this board.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: Re: shift knob   shift knob EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm

I don't think there's a spring. There's a white rod which I believe directly contacts the button in the shift knob. I'd look elsewhere for the problem.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: Re: shift knob   shift knob EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 pm

If you want to try and lubricate it perhaps use some "graphite powder".
I would try that first.

Good Luck
Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

shift knob Empty
PostSubject: Re: shift knob   shift knob Empty

Back to top Go down

shift knob
Page 1 of 1