Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)

Go down 
+10
deekster_caddy
Lucas
jimmyriv
turtleman
Mr.Riviera
stan
1998 Riv
TonySmooth89
palermocorey90
Jack the R
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Wheel cover?
Want it?
Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Vote_lcap58%Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
Don't want it?
Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Shintsu - In real life the color difference is less noticeable, but could be more noticeable with other interior colors. The wheel does look bigger. I'm not entirely comfortable with the look, but the stock wheel is so plain, and IMO too skinny for performance driving.

I'm going to live with it for a while and see how it works out. Maybe it'll give me another idea to improve it. Ehm, here's one already - buy the straight black Wheel Skin, unstictch at the joining seam, then unstitch one edge. Cut the stitches from the leather sections on the Riv's wheel, and use those sections as patterns to make new pieces from the Wheel Skin. Taking care to allow for the part that has to be folded over, where the center seam will be. Poke holes for the thread and sew back on. Then you've got fresh new leather in the color of your choice, the original rim size, and no strangeness around the spokes.

Shintsu wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do it and let us see what a finished product would look like.

You're welcome.

Rickw - $50 each. They're not cheap, but they're real leather. They smell and feel great.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm

There is a section on recovering a steering wheel in THIS book. In fact, you can see a bit of it in the table of contents on amazon's site. Look at the way they have extra material for the part that will cover the spokes of the steering wheel. I have the book and have learned a lot of upholstery skills from it, I highly recommend it.

It looks like it would be pretty straight-forward to build a custom steering wheel cover that fits over the spokes of the wheel. I'd bet your local upholstery shop could handle the job for a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Here's another, cheaper and maybe easier idea - refinish the leather sections with SEM -

Link

All the products you need, and even a color chart. Too bad you'd have to pay S&H to get the $1.00 color chart you need to pick your colors.

What's involved in removing the wheel?

SToP - Hey, I think I've got that book wink I've got one a lot like it anyway. The only thing holding me back from doing full custom interiors is the price of the industrial sewing machine.

I did ask the local upholstery guy about making a custom wheel cover. He said he'd tried in the past and his didn't come out too good.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Jack, there are two books - Custom Auto Interiors and Automotive Upholstery, both by Taylor/Magnus. I've been tinkering with some upholstery, would love to get into more but as you said - the sewing machine is expensive! I have a commercial one. Not bad, gets through leather, but not nearly the workhouse an industrial unit would be.

I think the trick to the steering wheel (at least according to the book) lies in sanding down the selvage so it doesn't cause as much of a lump. Once a guy had a good pattern, I'd bet it would be easy profit pumping out custom wheel covers for the Riv at $50 apiece.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Interesting. I'd like to read more about it as I'm about to tackle my drivers seat to repair the busted back and heated seat element, both of which I think require un-stapling some of the leather... Any tips before I go after this book? wink Maybe I'll start my own thread about it first...
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Deekster, pick up THIS book - they talk more about the hog rings, J-clips and listing rods you're likely to see in the Riv seat. I think they even touch on heated seat elements.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 pm

I've have wanted my driver's seat re-worked ever since I bought the car. I think the side bolsters could be higher and firmer to help hold you in the seat.
I slide around a lot when cornering. I haven't brought it to a shop to find out how much it would cost but it's something I'd like to tackle myself with a little more knowledge and the correct tools to do the job.
Derek when you do your seat if I could come to your place, help out and see what's involved with removing the leather skin and how the foam is formed I would appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:18 pm

SToP wrote:
Deekster, pick up THIS book - they talk more about the hog rings, J-clips and listing rods you're likely to see in the Riv seat. I think they even touch on heated seat elements.

That's the book I've got! I've also got the hog rings and the special pliers for them.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll look into the hog rings/pliers and I'll definitely get the book! Rick, I'll let you know when I tackle it. I snagged Oldsman's old seat for parts, so it's on the garage floor...
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 pm

The link on page 1 from this summer does not work, last post on first page... I have been looking for a woodgrain wheel for maybe two years now. Ive wanted to try one from a 05 Park Ave Ultra or one of the ones on the new Lucernes but dont have the cash to spend over $300 on a steering wheel that may not work in my 98 riv and the wiring not work. I am only looking for the airbag to function not the steering wheel controls because my SWC dont work with my aftermarket stereo. I asked for help with this a few times before, awhile back but no one helped me or gave me any input on this. Just picture how nice it would look to have a woodgrain wheel in our rivs. I would really like a dark cherry wood wheel. smile
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Took another look at the Wheel Skin in the clear light of day. The color difference of the gray section is truly not noticeable, against the medium gray Riv interior. The photo exaggerates the hell out of it. The seam in the center really bothers me though. If I make a custom cover getting rid of that ridge will be a high priority.

98RIV7777

That company seems to have gone out of business. There are numerous other wood slip on covers here -

http://www.nextag.com/wood-steering-wheel-cover/search-html

I bet they all look crap installed.

The only right way to do the wood steering wheel would be to remove the leather sections and make your own custom wood pieces. Maybe you know someone with the skill to do it.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 pm

Well I would rather just put one of the Lucerne or Park Ave Woodgrain wheels in it as long as there wont be a problem with the new airbag blowing up on me, lol but I dont know how it will wire up or anything, Im in desperate need of help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)   Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheel Skins Wheel Cover (possible group buy?)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2