Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet

Go down 
+6
IBx1
Buapo
palermocorey90
T Riley
1998 Riv
RhinoFLA
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Empty
PostSubject: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 pm

I stopped and picked up a new set of autolite 104's and a new napa fuel filter because i'm about overdue on a change. After I threw those on, i figured.. hey.. i've got two sony xplod 6x9's sitting around.. nothing to do today, let's throw em in happy

250W Sony Xplod 6x9
Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Copyofamandasvideos021ln4

After the sonys were in, I decided to do away with my nasty stained ass carpet. I remembered seeing an episode of muscle car on spike where they used Duplicolor paint to paint some carpets in an older car. So I went and picked up 3 cans of black duplicolor carpet paint.. I was a little nervous about how it would turn out, but i'm actually quite impressed with how it looks. Eventually I want to repaint my entire interior, because tan is just too hard to keep clean and scratch free.. I haven't decided on what color to go with yet, maybe flat black would look alright, but I want to give it some more thought. That and it's quite the project and is probably going to take some time.

Driver side carpet

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Amandasvideos017rn7

Pass. side carpet

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Copyofamandasvideos016qi4

Carpet on the door

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Amandasvideos023nu5

Back seat

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Copy2ofamandasvideos018ut4

Here are some pics i've been meaning to take.

5 1/4" Hifonics Zeus 325W, Boston 3" 125W
Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Amandasvideos015el2

3.6" Intense MPS
Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Amandasvideos024xw5

Audio wise, I honestly think i'm done. I have an AP 600w amp in my room that I just haven't had the time to put in, and honestly, after hearing the power those two sony xplods put out, I really don't think I need the amp. I also have a pioneer head unit that i'm not sure if I want to put in, i'll have to give it some thought.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Looks good. I need a "spoil the Riv" day too.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 4:25 pm

VERRRRRRY nice...... im not so sure about the carpet, if i made a mistake i would prolly die
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
VERRRRRRY nice...... im not so sure about the carpet, if i made a mistake i would prolly die

Blue painters tape ftw. There's a couple spots I got it on the plastic, but eventually it will all be repainted anyways.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 pm

its easier to take the carpet right out but i dont have a console. so Ryan is right on this one. but use green painters tape is has more adhesion so it will stick better.blue works better for when you put it on stuff already painted. but it came out great good job Ryan.how do u like the sonys do they sound good
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
its easier to take the carpet right out but i dont have a console. so Ryan is right on this one. but use green painters tape is has more adhesion so it will stick better.blue works better for when you put it on stuff already painted. but it came out great good job Ryan.how do u like the sonys do they sound good

Yeah that blue tape got annoying in some places, mostly the curved pieces. I'll give the green tape a try next time. The sonys sound amazing.. The bass is ridiculous, i'm not sure my rear view mirror can stand up to the vibration haha, at about a 1/4 volume it was shaking so bad, it was impossible to see out of it.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Very nice pics! I have some very nice 6X9s still in my wrecked Regal that I'm sure would fit right into the back of my Riviera.

Is this a hard job to do? I've never done, I figure it's easy as pie, though. Any special tools? Do I need butt-splices or anything like that?

I still have to find out if I can get those speakers out of the Regal.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Buapo wrote:
Very nice pics! I have some very nice 6X9s still in my wrecked Regal that I'm sure would fit right into the back of my Riviera.

Is this a hard job to do? I've never done, I figure it's easy as pie, though. Any special tools? Do I need butt-splices or anything like that?

I still have to find out if I can get those speakers out of the Regal.

These xplods actually came out of a regal. It's simple man, theres only 2 wires per speaker, and it's all color coded. All you really need is a pair of strippers, some solderless connectors, and maybe a drill depending on if your alignment holes line up with the OEM holes.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 am

These make it infinitely easier:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JXWZP8ZyvQJ/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=12071014&search=speaker+harness&tp=3097&tab=review

It may or may not be hard getting the speakers to fit, because there are two screws that hold them in towards the back of the car, and two tabs that come down from the roof of the trunk to support the front-facing side of the speakers. My advice is to just push the speakers into the tabs, and use long screws if you have any. Put the screws in about the same time, then tighten them little by little each, then you can go all the way with one, and then all the way with the other. It'll take 15 minutes, something you can do whenever.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 9:49 am

my rivis day is April 11-13 dumping 1500 bucks in to her screw the truck
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 am

palermocorey90 wrote:
my rivis day is April 11-13 dumping 1500 bucks in to her screw the truck

Good move. clap
What are you having repaired?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 2:16 pm

It's amazing how this spring weather makes you catch up on car stuff.

For anyone trying the carpet painting, you can easily remove those plastic pieces in the quarter panel and rocker areas. Just a few screws. If you have an airbrush, might be better to use in the areas close to important stuff.

How's the car smell?

MOVED TO: INTERIOR

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 pm

AA wrote:
It's amazing how this spring weather makes you catch up on car stuff.

For anyone trying the carpet painting, you can easily remove those plastic pieces in the quarter panel and rocker areas. Just a few screws. If you have an airbrush, might be better to use in the areas close to important stuff.

How's the car smell?

MOVED TO: INTERIOR

Man, I should have left a window cracked or something last night, theres still some fumes lingering around in there. Also, the carpet will be a little stiff at first, but if you run your hands across it and apply some pressure, it seems to rub right out.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:52 pm

I love YOU!!!

I have been wanting to change my interior carpet but now I will paint it black!.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 pm

oldsman105 wrote:
I love YOU!!!

I have been wanting to change my interior carpet but now I will paint it black!.

oops

Make sure you put the mats down before you drive. I've been waiting to buy new black mats, so i've just had my feet on the carpet, and from all the daily driving it's worn in the spots my feet rest. I'll have to grab another can to do some touch up.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 pm

looks good! but i would definitly put some plastic looms around the ignition wires rhinofla. they run pretty close to the fuel rails and sitting atop the hot s/c is heating things up a bit. imho
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Hmm, I routed them through the stock clips though, what kind of looms?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 am

plastic looms in different colors that you can get a A.Z. they are split down the middle and go on very easy. having the ignition wires on top of the fuel rails( if they are,hard to tell from the photo) is unsafe. give yourself a little peace of mind rhinofla!
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 5:55 pm

They're not on top of the fuel rails, they run parallel to them, same as the stock route.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 pm

ic! its still a good idea to isolate the wires from the heat that the s/c generates....
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:58 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Looks good. I need a "spoil the Riv" day too.

Me too. I'm just waiting for it to get nice and warm out, like 70*, until I can wash, seal, and wax her and then paint the engine cover that blackbart95 was so nice to send me.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey RhinoFLA, how is that interior carpet holding up. I am ready to do it soon and wanted to know if I need cans or more?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet   Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet Empty

Back to top Go down

Spoil the rivi day - Painted Carpet
Page 1 of 1