Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 pm

AA wrote:
I don't think so, but you could use a relay to turn on the HID brights day or night. They would be at full power during the day.

...and that would be a bad thing. My 2 cents' worth: Unless you do a lot of night-time driving across the plains, I can't really see adding HID hi-beams on top of HID lo-beams... Especially with having to muck around with the DRL system.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

The DRL system is kind of a PITA from what I could see when I was looking at the schematic with Billboost. Seemed there was a module inline for the lighting so we couldn't figure out how to have the highs on at the same time as the lows. I dunno. But as everyone else said previously, low beam HIDs (9006 bulbs) should be more than sufficient. Almost every who's installed HID lows has said they stopped bothering with high beams after.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Seemed there was a module inline for the lighting so we couldn't figure out how to have the highs on at the same time as the lows. I dunno. But as everyone else said previously, low beam HIDs (9006 bulbs) should be more than sufficient. Almost every who's installed HID lows has said they stopped bothering with high beams after.

That's exactly what I was thinking... However, keeping the HID lows on at the same time as the regular highs, is also a good alternative to putting HID high beams in. Please check this schematic that Timo & I worked up:

LINK
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm

OOOOH! That's good stuff Mark. Thanks for providing that link. smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Quote :
Almost every who's installed HID lows has said they stopped bothering with high beams after.
That bothers me some. If you are getting that much light from your low beams, it's got to be glaring to oncoming drivers. I guess that's why every OEM HID bulb uses a lens to properly focus the light below a certain level.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:50 am

It is annoying to get blinded by someone with HID's without proper reflectors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 pm

I have yet to be flashed by anyone with my HIDs. I was flashed all the time with my fogs though, even with them tuned to shine only at the very front of the car. I don't really use my fogs with my HIDs anymore though, there's not much need. My fogs have huge lens reflectors and they seem really efficient at focusing the light, so I guess that could be the issue. I only run 55W "xenon charged" pilot bulbs in them. I do know headlights need to be adjusted though.

I got to the point with my lights that I just accepted the fact that I'll get flashed once in awhile. I drive so many back roads here that it's worth it to spot that one deer. I just flick my "brights" on quickly to show I can't really do much about it. Not the most moral thing to do, but....

I guess I'll give up on the HID high beams for now...
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: First mod is done!   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Did this a few days ago but just got around to uploading pics. It's a cosmetic mod not a performance but a mod nonetheless. Installed some 5000k HID's and they look and perform great.

Next are some go fast mods that should be on their way as we speak. wink

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 2010-03-16%2019%5B1%5D.43.35

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 2010-03-16%2019.43.17
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow, what a difference from stock, even with higher output halogen's that looks like it would blow them away.
Looks like a nice clean bright white also, no blue. Which is good in my opinion. But photo's can't always capture the true color of light.
Did you have adjust the aim on them to prevent blinding oncoming cars.?
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

What I love about HIDs and Rivieras is that they look like they belong on our vehicles. It's funny seeing a truck or some Honda with them on there but they look perfect in a Riv. I might think about switching from the blue bulbs I have to HIDs now. Those are bright!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Which HID's did you buy?
There are so many different one's and can get mind boggling until you start getting up there in price, then it starts to get limited.
I wouldn't mind having an expensive set-up, but I have other priorities.
Although I'm noticing, more and more, that my nighttime vision is going down the toilet and headaches are more prevalent after only 1/2 hr of nighttime driving.
I noticed a nice improvement in nighttime visibility by installing the PIAA 4,000K extreme whites a couple of years ago, but I'm curious to see how much better my vision would be with some HID's

Last edited by Rickw on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Looks good man thumbsup
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 7:00 pm

AWESOME

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here from DDM later this week. happy
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Rickw wrote:
Wow, what a difference from stock, even with higher output halogen's that looks like it would blow them away.
Looks like a nice clean bright white also, no blue. Which is good in my opinion. But photo's can't always capture the true color of light.
Did you have adjust the aim on them to prevent blinding oncoming cars.?

Ya I tried 6000k on my other car which was a little more blue but it killed the useable light output so I went back to 5000k. Its white with a slight blue hue. 4300k they say is the whitest and most useable light. I didn't adjust them yet but yes I'll probably have to do that. Don't want to piss off other drivers. 100% better then any halogen. I love them!

ZEP wrote:
What I love about HIDs and Rivieras is that they look like they belong on our vehicles. It's funny seeing a truck or some Honda with them on there but they look perfect in a Riv. I might think about switching from the blue bulbs I have to HIDs now. Those are bright!

I highly suggest the switch. The Riv was the easiest car to date that I've done the conversion on. Took maybe an hour tops. I agree it does look very classy on the Riv!

Rickw wrote:
Which HID's did you buy?
There are so many different one's and can get mind boggling until you start getting up there in price, then it starts to get limited.
I wouldn't mind having an expensive set-up, but I have other priorities.
Although I'm noticing, more and more, that my nighttime vision is going down the toilet and headaches are more prevalent after only 1/2 hr of nighttime driving.
I noticed a nice improvement in nighttime visibility by installing the PIAA 4,000K extreme whites a couple of years ago, but I'm curious to see how much better my vision would be with some HID's

I got these off Ebay for $40 shipped with a one year warranty. You cannot beat that price and I feel that they perform just as well as the high end kits. This is the third kit I've bought from Ebay and the others are going strong. I love the PIAA bulbs and used them exclusively until I could get my hands on the HID's. These will def help you out with night vision. I'm starting to get the same night time headaches and these help, now if there was a way to get other drivers to stop using their friggin highbeams while coming at me that would be great.

Abaddon wrote:
Looks good man thumbsup

Thank you! Those are cellphone pic, I'll try to get some better ones with my digi cam later this week.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Vinny,
Are other drivers hitting you with their High Beams because these ones aren't aimed correctly.?
In other words are the HID's blinding them because of poor alignment.?
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:05 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
AWESOME

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here from DDM later this week. happy

Pretty cool, post pics when your done installing them!

Rickw wrote:
Vinny,
Are other drivers hitting you with their High Beams because these ones aren't aimed correctly.?

Rick, I honestly haven't even had a chance to use them yet at night. I've only driven during the day since I've put them in so I can't answer your question. I took those pics the night I installed them but didn't go anywhere after. I plan on leveling them tomorrow to correct any potential problem with oncoming drivers.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Why are you guys wasting your money on a useless upgrade? It's not only illegal but doesn't give you any better lighting. scratch
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:03 pm

96RIVMANN wrote:
Why are you guys wasting your money on a useless upgrade? It's not only illegal but doesn't give you any better lighting. scratch

What other mod could I have done for $40? In my eyes this was worth it and not a "useless" upgrade. It improves night driving at least ten fold which is why I installed them. Not to look cool but that does help some.

Since when are HID conversions illegal? suspect

Also, last time I checked HID light output is extremely better than any bulb you could put in there.

I guess all the auto manufactures are putting useless illegal headlight systems in their cars??

To each their own I guess. dunno
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Thats good money spent. That looks damn good. I need to get a set. Do you remember what the name of the seller was on ebay?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 4:26 pm

96RIVMANN wrote:
How could better lighting (increased Lumens) be seen as a useless change or upgrade to a car.?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Rickw wrote:
96RIVMANN wrote:
How could better lighting (increased Lumens) be seen as a useless change or upgrade to a car.?

Anything altering the OEM headlights can be determined illegal. It's not like the old H4065 bulb where it didn't really matter what it was installed in, the light pattern was the same. Today every headlight housing gives off a different pattern of light. Many of these HID replacement fit kits do not aim the bulb or light pattern, so the end result is you blind oncoming drivers, which by all means should be illegal and you should be run off the road into a fucking tree for it. If you have taken the care to redesign the reflector so the light pattern does not blind oncoming drivers, good for you you don't need to be run off the road. But the rest of these assholes do.

Take a look at a car that came with OEM HIDs and look at the light output. I'll be happy to show you our Passat anytime Rick, the light pattern has a very clear cut line cutting off the upper left portion of light so it doesn't shine into oncoming traffic.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Rickw wrote:
Vinny,

What causes you to think a re alignment of the headlight aim is required on an up date to HID? do you re align after you fit new "normal" filiment bulbs????

The glass envelope that is used is set in its holder by some sort of epoxy such that the bit where the light is comming from is at the focal point for that style of fitting.

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 S1030018

and the epoxy...

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 S1030022

No adjustment should be required

OR it need adjustment before fitting the new HID's!

if it needs any form of adjustment its because you didnt fit it correctly.

One point you need to remember is the headlight glass (out side) should be really clean. This is why the HID's were normaly only seen on high end cars that had washing headlight systems!

Nigel
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I've had HID's for over three years on the riv and have not gotten the flash from oncomming drivers. I didn't adjust them except to bring one side down a hair because it wasn't exactly lined up with the other side. As long as you don't run into Derek on the road, you should be alright.
The reflector lenses on this car are pretty forgiving. It seems like the most dangerous headlights to retrofit aftermarket HID's to are cars and a few trucks that have tall reflector bodies rather than flat ones like the rivieras and it's worse if they use a multi-filiment headlight like a 9003 (since youre usually putting a single beam HID into a lens that has high beam function - be careful with that). The trucks are just bad because they usually have massive lenses and are sitting higher up so there's just no escaping the light.
My last car was a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse that I put HID's into and unfortunately, those headlights were quite a bit less under control than the riv's are. I did get flashed in that car from time to time. If I still had that car today, it would long since have gotten projector headlights, but then of course, they actually make them for eclipses...[/img]
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm

i like the look of them also,my question is can u gust plug them in ,or will they blow fuses? puzzled
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm

no James sorry!

There is a unit called a balast which goes in between the lamp and the car wiring. It is just plug and play but needs an additional part which has to be mounted. the balast comes with it own mounting brackets and are small enough to mount almost anywhere. They are the size of a packet of 20 ciggies (fags to us english wink )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HID Conversion
Page 10 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next