Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Mattwa
Enthusiast

Name : Matt
Merit : 8

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 2:20 am

Finished the install of my 6K HID's today. Man, what an improvement!! Much much more light on the road compared to my mis-matched crappy Halogen bulbs I apparently had in there. And It does not look like I'm blinding people, not much light is going up that high.

I bought the kit from ZZP, along with the HD wiring harness, so my HID's are powered by a direct connection to the battery now, controlled by a relay. The Automatic headlights are an issue though, because it's turning the HID's on before I start the car. I can't turn that feature permanently off, and when I start the car the warming up HID's do not like that power drop. So I'm going to put a manual switch in.

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 IMG_20120926_114641
Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 IMG_20120926_130315
Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 IMG_20120926_130322
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Mattwa wrote:
Finished the install of my 6K HID's today. Man, what an improvement!! Much much more light on the road compared to my mis-matched crappy Halogen bulbs I apparently had in there. And It does not look like I'm blinding people, not much light is going up that high.

I bought the kit from ZZP, along with the HD wiring harness, so my HID's are powered by a direct connection to the battery now, controlled by a relay. The Automatic headlights are an issue though, because it's turning the HID's on before I start the car. I can't turn that feature permanently off, and when I start the car the warming up HID's do not like that power drop. So I'm going to put a manual switch in.

Manual switch will help - you also could put in a delay relay to delay the trun-on of DRLs. - I lost the thread but it you google headlight delay relay you should get some choices.

I think the thing that sould be mad cool would be to pu t clear lenses on over the housing, HB and LB projectors, and install white LEDs as DRLs in the surfaces of the reflectors. I gotta think about that some more...

ALbertj
Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Yea that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jimdangello
Rookie
Jimdangello

Name : James
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Do these lights endure in extreme temperatures? Would really like to install these on my 98, but am wondering if perhaps i should wait until Spring.

Great write-up btw! Much appreciated smile
Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Jimdangello wrote:
Do these lights endure in extreme temperatures? Would really like to install these on my 98, but am wondering if perhaps i should wait until Spring.

Great write-up btw! Much appreciated smile

Define "extreme"? Driving home last night it was 14F, and I didn't have an issue with my HIDs. That's the coldest I have used them in so far, i'll see how they hold up during the rest of the winter.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:11 pm

It shouldn't be a problem; halogen lights are roughly 51W and a standard HID kit uses 35W, with the heavy-duty ones being 55W. Go for 35W slim ballast kits from DDMTuning.com where you get a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts, it'll run you about $70 shipped and the service is good so long as you have a spare ballast for when one goes bad(they don't do advance returns).

The only reason why I got rid of the HID's in my Riv way back when was because I got tired of buying replacement ballasts each time they would go out...I replaced them with 80W halogens from Eurolights and didn't have any problems with those either as far as heat in the headlamps goes.

One last tip, gently wipe the HID bulbs down with some rubbing alcohol before installing to make sure there's no oil from accidentally touching the bulb; they'll last longer that way!
Back to top Go down
firefighter
Amateur

Name : paris
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 pm

i have installed the 6000k the dim and the bright's.
the dims are showing light like two flashlights?
I can not focuse them.
The brights are up in the trees and i or my garage man can not foucse them
when i switch from the dims to the brights it takes a full minute to change and the brights are up in the trees.
Help
firefighter
thank you.
i put them on a 1996 Riviera super charge.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:37 pm

#1) NOT a good idea to install them as High Beams. They take too long to get to full brightness. Then, once you turn them off, the Low beams take a few seconds to get bright again....

#2) It sounds like you have the bulbs installed wrong, or they're the wrong bulbs period. Headlamps like ours require the bulb to be centered. If the HID is bent a little, or cock-eyed in the socket, they WILL shine any which direction. I had to play with mine to get them aimed properly.

If/when you get it right, please please please aim them down, as you will be blinding everybody.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah, pull them out of the high beams. I would keep them as spares in case one of your other ones die. If needed you can adjust the lights with the thing (lack of correct term) by the front of the headlight. It's red with a phillips screw hole (again, technical terms here) if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am

As they've said, never put HID's in your high beams. Make sure you have 9006 bulbs in the lows and that they're fully locked in and not crooked from one tab out of the fixture. I'd recommend building a high-4 relay so your lows stay on with your highs but if you don't know what you're doing with electrical systems it's quite an endeavor.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 am

Probably going to take my HID's out until I get nice new ballasts/bulbs. The one's on it are too flaky, don't want to get a ticket.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 am

define flaky? i put the 12000k brillant blue in my lows and they are bright! funny thing is i offered 13.50 for the kit on ebay with the slim ballast, installed wrong (didnt figure it out till lot later) complained got new ballast and a full refund. got home a month later figured out i had a couple wires in the extension backwards tested all 4 ballast and all where good. i have 2 extra ballast now. just wish i had of went with the 6000k cause i think they show more light but the blue looks great
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:37 pm

The drivers side light is unreliable, it flickers and sometimes doesn't come on at all. About 8/10 times it's fine, but it's those 2/10 times when there's a cop sitting over the hill. Did you get 55W or 35W? I was going to grab some 55's despite some people claiming issues with the heat.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm

35ws and mine did that one time but it was because i had a wire loose. no problems since
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

I've already checked the wiring before, it's nice and tight.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 am

DO NOT buy the 55W HID's for your low beams. 35W are bright enough.
Which kit did you buy? If you don't install digital ballasts, and just simply plug in to the factory plug without wiring up a relay system, they will flicker like a candle. I had this problem with the very first kit I bought. I've since changed over to "digital" ballasts and haven't had an issue once.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 9:12 am

I bought the cheap Xentec digital slim ones. I'm looking into grabbing a nice pair of ballasts, but for now I'm just going to run stock bulbs. Everything is wired correctly; exactly how it should be.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 am

I have the Xentecs as well. They've been in for over 2 years now without an issue. It's just that originally, I ordered the non-digital versions and they flickered like mad. For an extra $10, I got the digitals and they've been great. Just make sure that in the Item Description they say "digital".
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 pm

ive got the same kit matt! i offered them 13.50 and ended up gettin it free with an extra set of ballast. i also have the relay kit but have not used it. im havin no probs so do i need to use it scott?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 2:52 pm

It depends if you have the digital ballasts or not. Eventually, they might start flickering on you, or just fail to fire at all. I certainly didn't pay $13.50 though. My kit was $40 with 6000K.

It's pretty cool when they flicker though. They seriously look like a really bright candle. The light moves around and dances on the pavement lol.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I think I payed around $35 for ballasts and bulbs.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 am

Don't know if anybody knows this but hid lights can be had for less than $50 from ddm tuning sometimes even for $30 depending on the sale.. I bought a kit from them about 5 years ago. I ran it on my monte carlo then moved it over to my Riviera once I sol the monte. It is still running strong. I love their products!
Back to top Go down
BLKOUT
Rookie
BLKOUT

Name : BLKOUT
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 10:57 am

This may or may not have already been asked & or answered..
(30+ pages is a lot to go through for a simple Q&A):

Does any know if the HID bulbs are okay to use with VHT "Nite-Shades" black lens paint on the headlights?
OR
Will it melt-off or ruin the paint application?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am

HID's actually run cooler than a stock headlight bulb. Mine don't get nearly as warm as the stockers did. I don't see a problem with tinting the lenses.

HOWEVER......
Keep in mind that if you spray tint the headlights, they're going to get pelted by sand and road debris. In a matter of weeks, it's going to chip and look like hell IMO. I have a couple of co-workers who tinted their headlights with spray tint. They now look like shit and they wish they hadn't of done it in the first place. Now they're stuck with dealing with it, or replacing both assemblies. Just sayin....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am

You won't have any issues with melting, but I will say this. Buy QUALITY stuff. The cheap stuff isn't as bright, doesn't last as long, and isn't as reliable. If you want to tint your headlights I would suggest using the peel and stick film. It goes on easier, looks better, and is easier to remove than the spray on stuff. I can't comment for how long it lasts compared to the spray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HID Conversion
Page 20 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next