Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)

Go down 
+36
ratnfested
llamalor2112
95rivy
ghpcnm
RidzRiv
robotennis61
95ParkAveUltra
Rickw
Cmurphy
Derek
TheNewEra95
Chicken
Buickman104
blown95riv
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
TonySmooth89
1998 Riv
stan
Sag
justins95riviera
Jeremy
maryland95riv_warren
turtleman
GothicVash
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
oldsman105
palermocorey90
SpaceBar
Christman
AA
Jason
jax95riv
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptySat Jun 23, 2007 11:32 am

Question: If I go w/ a smaller pulley and I have no way of scanning...how do I know how much KR I have? Could I end up with the car running slower because of increased KR with the new pulley or will I see definate gains from the new pulley? dunno Please help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptySun Jun 24, 2007 12:44 pm

I had incredible gains with a 3.4 on the series 2 with no scanning. If you go with a reasonably sized pulley and the supporting mods, you will see a very nice gain. You just won't be able to squeeze every last hundredth out ouf your car without knowing KR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptySun Jun 24, 2007 3:32 pm

quote: "If I go w/ a smaller pulley and I have no way of scanning...how do I know how much KR I have?"

You don't. It's that simple. There's going to be some risk.. how much depends on how small you go with the pulley. It also depends on what your baseline KR is. Every car is a little different. You may have KR now, scanning is the only way to know.

A 3.4" pulley is a 10.5% size reduction from stock. I did the same thing as Jason with only a gutted box, 160º stat and 104 plugs. I was knocking in the 6º range at times, and didn't even know. Sure, I saw a big increase, but it was bigger once I tuned out the KR.

For Series I, the 2.5" size would be a 12.3% reduction. Your blower might respond differently than a Series II, but still it's something to consider. Imo, running the 2.5" will give improvement, but it will also give you added KR for sure. Not enough to blow your engine, but enough that you won't see some of the gain to pulley has to offer. Stepping down to smaller sizes could give enough KR that you could get slower than stock.

Another thing to consider is, say you get the 2.5" and everything is fine. How will you know? How do you know when you can move down to a 2.4", 2.3", etc.? Without a scanner, you won't know. You'd be guessing at best.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Christman
Special

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Smaller Pulley on Series 1   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Alright my riviera has around 195k miles on it. I just rebuilt the engine and cleaned out the tranny and replaced a few valves. I talked with a mechanic about putting on a slightly smaller pulley and he said i should. He told me that it puts a lot of strain on the whole car and that it is hard on the tranny. From what i got out of the conversation he said that lets say im going around 30mph and i punch it, he said that the tranny would lag a little due to the increased speed of the supercharger or something and that the tranny would take a beating from trying to catch up with the engine. Is this true?
Also he said that if i put a 180 degree thermastat on that i would get a lot less fuel economy and that my engine might be dog out sometimes. Could someone elaberate on that too if possible?
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 9:33 pm

A 180* tstat will be fine. I didn't notice ANY drop in fuel economy at all. I don't know what he meant by the engine might dog out but the engine will be fine. It will help the engine out more as it will allow it to run cooler.

There were some problems with people using the 160* tstat because the knock sensor doesn't come on until around 157* or somewhere in there and that could be dangerous. wink
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Welcome to the board.

It all depends on who you talk to. If your mechanic is concerned strictly with reliability (many are), he is not going to agree with any enhancements that add power (strain) to the engine/transmission. A lot of people firmly believe that GM did the best possible job designing each and every part of every car they build, and changing anything at all will throw off that delicate "balance". That's fine. They can keep driving their Buicks exactly the way GM intended.

But some have wondered, "What can I do to get more of the car?", "How can I do it reliably?". and "What are the costs/risks involved in experimenting?". It's this kind of curiosity that drives our site to try different things and share the results, so you can decide for yourself if it is a level of risk worth taking for the reward received. Every car and driver is different, but some things are consistent. It's sort of like investing. wink

Having said that, a drop in SC pulley size does this: it builds boost (and torque) sooner than a stock (larger) SC pulley would. Because of this, your boost at WOT will be more with a smaller pulley than with a stock one. So let's say with a stock SC pulley you're driving in 2nd gear, at 2000 rpm, and you push the throttle 20%. For the sake of discussion, let's assume your supercharger makes 1 PSI of boost when you do this. At 50% throttle, we'll say you make 2 PSI of boost; at 100% or WOT, it's 6 PSI.

Now, if you change the SC pulley to a smaller dia. and drive under the same conditions, you might get boost numbers like this: 3 PSI at 20%, 4 PSI at 50%, and 8 PSI at WOT. These are theoretical figures, but close to what you can expect to see. The result of dropping the pulley size in this example would show a horsepower gain in the form of improved throttle response (torque). In effect, what you are doing is moving your engine's torque curve into the lower RPMs. This would mean when you push the throttle 20%, it will accelerate much like a stock car does at 50%. Make sense?

So how does this extra torque destroy your transmission? It doesn't, really. There is increased load delivered to the tranny, but a healthy one should take the extra power... up to a point. As far as "lag", that happens regardless of the power you are making, and it's up to you the driver to treat the tranny with respect. Everyone's hit the gas at the wrong time before and felt a sharp jerk, even on a stock engine. This doesn't change when you add power, but if you do it all the time, of course you increase the risk of failure. The trick is to drive your car the right way. Be easy on power delivery, don't stab the throttle at the wrong time, and the transmission should last a long time.

It's true, a 180º deg t-stat will give you worse fuel economy. But to say it gives you a "lot" worse... that's just not true. When my car was stock, I drove a few hundred miles on the freeway and saw 31 mpg. A couple years later, after many mods including a 180º t-stat, I took another trip and got the same 31 mpg. What does that say? To me, it indicates I may have lost a few mpg from the t-stat, but I also gained some back from more efficient intake, rocker, and exhaust parts. We're talking about a couple mpg here at most.

I think what you should consider is, your car has 195k. That's a lot of miles, so some stuff is going to break. Adding power will make things break sooner than later, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. You could have a lot of fun with the new engine, especially if you help it perform better. I started modding when mine had 35k; now I have over 135k. Original engine, trans, stock exhaust after the cat converter. Everything still works inside and out, I drive the car every day. I race it a couple times per year. Maintenance plays a part too. If you take care of the engine, it shouldn't mind putting out a few extra horses once in a while.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: 2.4" pulley   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 3:29 pm

any one ever ran a 2.4" SC pulley on there series 1. will it be ok to run with stock internals and what not, im doing intake and exhaust if i get it. would it be save to run,. but my questions are as fallows

#1, Is it save to run on my car

#2, Will it give a noticeable gain

#3, What other parts do i need

#4, what kind of puller for the pulley

#5, will my engine blow up

#6, what kinda boost would that put out

#7, should i get a boost gauge rice

please help a fellow river owner with that, my car is a 95 series 1, and im looking at a pulley boys
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 3:37 pm

#1 - Only way to know is to scan for KR.

#2 - Yes, if you have good result with #1.

#3 - A scanner, cooler plugs, cooler T-stat, possibly exhaust, intake or more depending on result with #1.

#4 - 3-jaw pulley puller.

#5 - If result of #1 is good: No. If result of #1 is bad, or if you skip #1, possibly.

#6 - Need a scanner or boost gauge to know.

#7 - Up to you. I've never run a boost gauge, but lots of folks like to have one.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 3:40 pm

what is KR, if you could get on AIM so we can chat
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 3:43 pm

read

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-faq-f19/what-is-engine-knock-what-is-kr-t28.htm

(sorry, no access to AIM right now)

Running a 2.4" SC pulley on your engine means a decrease of 16% from the stock 2.85" diameter.

On our Series II engines, that would be the equivalent of running a 3.2" SC pulley in place of our stock 3.8". I need all the mods in my sig to run that size, and I can only do it under about 55F. Boost levels have seen 15 PSI running this pulley.

Some have seen significant levels of KR just dropping pulley size by 5%. This is why I'm suggesting you scan your car before taking such a big step.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm

http://www.seriesoneperformance.com/induction.html
http://www.pulleyboys.com/gms1p.html

this is saying a 2.5 will work fine but what would .1 do would,can it really be that much of a difference
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 4:19 pm

.1" is significant in your case. I wouldn't even run the 2.5" without scanning if it were my car.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 4:28 pm

what kind of scanner, my school has a gennisis 2 scanner, i dont know if that would work. but
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 4:45 pm

http://www.seriesoneperformance.com

They have one that will work with your car.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:00 pm

ok im think i will just go with 2.5 or 2.6. just to be safe BTW im doing cam and roller rockers pretty much the whole valve train as a early Christmas present from my mom
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Any scanner that can do the OBD 1.5 your car is equipped with. I ran a 2.4 pulley on my old series one with the following

CAI
Full tune-up
NGK TR-55 (gapped to .055 They must be copper)
CAT and RES delete (res was deleted when I bought thee car)

I had 1 degree of Knock retard from 0-90 MPH

You need a scanner that can scan 94-95 gm cars. Slang term for it is OBD 1.5

Also check your fuel pressure and make sure it is up to spec. Your car is 12 years old you don't want your car to go lean from lack of fuel.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:04 pm

that shouldnt be a problem, were doing a high flow pump and injectors, , i want to make my car quick enought to smoke the gay little slomaros and rustangs in my area

what is your full tune up

BTW thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Air filter
fuel filter
plugs and wires
oil change
three new ignition coils
sea foam
clean MAF sensor
Tranny flush

You will need to program your PCM for the new injectors if no they will not fire right and may not allow the fuel to fully atomize.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:33 pm

Bigger injectors not needed, imo. Series I has the 36 pounders, right?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:44 pm

ok then i wont order them. are taylor wires ok
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Yes. Stock wires are also fine, but not as pretty.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 6:02 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
ok im think i will just go with 2.5 or 2.6. just to be safe BTW im doing cam and roller rockers pretty much the whole valve train as a early Christmas present from my mom

uhhhhh i wouldnt get CAM AND ROCKERS................ its one or the other. mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 6:05 pm

what kind of plus should i go with, i have decided to go with 2.5" pulley
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 pm

quote: "uhhhhh i wouldnt get CAM AND ROCKERS................ its one or the other."

He can run roller rockers, as long as they don't have extreme lift ratios. I think some cams can be used with 1.7:1 rollers, depends on the grind. Probably not much to gain with the 1.7s, though.

Plugs should be 2 ranges cooler than stock. I use Autolite 104s.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 pm

ok, what kinda time could i run with them mods
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)   FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I) Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Selecting Proper Supercharger Pulley & Belt Size (Series I)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next