Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I

Go down 
+14
robotennis61
Snowdog
Jack the R
deekster_caddy
Rickw
BMD
BoattailBob
oldsman105
AA
turtleman
98riv
palermocorey90
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

why is the connector bad? You can cut back the wire ,exposing the bright wire,and splice back the connector.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 pm

It Wouldnt Start Then We Opened The Fuel pump Access Door & Seen Someone Pulled The coating Off One Wire ( Shown In The Picture ) The Mechanic Wiggled The Wire & The Pump Started Working He Said Its The Connector
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I bet Morads has a bunch of used tanks.plus good used connectors.theyre cool to deal with too.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanx I will Call Them monday
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Yes but what kind of job is it to install a new tank?

I had a friend in the same predicament. He cleaned the area up really well./ Then bought some stainless self tapping screws with big washers. He used sealer on the screws and secured them right through the plastic of the tank to hold the pump ring down. It worked fine for years until he sold the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 8:00 pm

this is true.The entire rear cradle has to be dropped with the rear control arms in one unit.good luck trying to salvage the straps and strap bolts.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 am

I kinda realized when I cut the slit at the bottom of the sump canister that it wasnt entirely a great idea.I got the idea from a car forum,dont remember which ,but it failed to register that the car in the thread had a much deeper sump molded into the tank that the canister sat in.Oh well,I had fun anyway but time to patch things up.
first pic is to show the east coasters how rust free a west coast car is even after 17 years! Mine was the original pump.oh man.eat yur heart out

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 HPIM1512

this pic shows the slit.I did not think it would be too much of a drain seeing that the filter was ocupying the spot.duh.I came across a site that actually fabricates a steel sump that has a tray jutting out from the bottom of the canister to allow the walbro filter to sit nice and flat in and not scruntched up in the can.even after just 2 days upon inspection,the filter has a couple of nice ugly creases in it.A filter failure just waiting to happen IMO.

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 HPIM1508

sheet alu before riveting to the can

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 HPIM1509

all riveted in place

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 HPIM1510

all done.

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 HPIM1513

after testing in a bucket of water,just a tiny bit of seepage out the bottom.nothing that a plastic welder cant take care of.

Walbro pumps rock.The SC whine is really noticable now.the original filters were toast and had probably a ton of junk circulating in my fuel system.Had the original filters not perished I'm certain my OEM pump wouda kept right on kickin.changed out the fuel filter for a spankin Wix unit.I'm better.Now I need to send my spare set of injectors to, mrinjector.com and I'll be good!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Yes but what kind of job is it to install a new tank?

I had a friend in the same predicament. He cleaned the area up really well./ Then bought some stainless self tapping screws with big washers. He used sealer on the screws and secured them right through the plastic of the tank to hold the pump ring down. It worked fine for years until he sold the car.

You Know I Think Thats What Im Gonna Try 1st THANX
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 pm

an while youre in there,check the condition of the fuel pump filters.if theyre toast your pump will be too!
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

I Plan On Buying A New Pump
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Quick update for anyone interested.this has got to be the best thing I've ever done to the Riv.

The Walbro pump kicks ass!

I can't believe I did not figure out the pump was going bad.All my top end speed issues are
gone.At the top she just keeps pullin hard.

The pump is super smooth compared to the AC delco.The AC delco must have been in failure mode
for years I just didnt have the common sense to know it.I said,She works,the car runs,the pump is operational.it must be something else?  That poor pump must have been pumping away with half it's guts shredded away!The torn filter allowed all manner of grit in.The gas in Vegas is kinda sandy.I found this out by ripping open the old fuel filter.nasty.
I also discovered a nasty little leak behind the EGR tube at the top where it bolts to the throttle body.I don't know how many times I sprayed carb cleaner and did a propane enrichment test in that area and I never found it.That's fixed too
Karma, really did it right by machining a nice Delrin spacer.Its a beautiful piece.But mine works flawless too.She starts,she pumps,I'm happy! It's a new car.
I would encourage anyone who is having drive-ability issues to get in there and inspect the fuel pump filters.There are 2 on the pump.If they are torn,chances are you're pump is going sour.Not the fuel filter outside and underneath the car.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Will this pump work?   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Walbro on ebay

Would this 1 work? I'm gathering my walbro pump and 42# injectors before I go to ZZP for a tune. I killed a gtp today and the kid couldn't believe it, lol. I told him check out ZZP for a 3.4 pulley and exhaust. He said my car was a sleeper

robotennis61 wrote:
Quick update for anyone interested.this has got to be the best thing I've ever done to the Riv.

The Walbro pump kicks ass!

I dont believe I did not figure out it was the pump that was going bad.All my top end speed issues are
gone.At the top she just keeps pullin hard.

The pump is super smooth compared to the ACdelco.The ACdelco must have been in failure mode
for years.I just didnt have the common sense to know it.I said,She works,the car runs,the pump is operational,it must be something else?  That poor pump must have been pumping away with half it's guts shreded away!The torn filters allowed all manner of grit in it.The gas in Vegas is kinda sandy.I found this out by ripping open the old fuel filter.nasty.
I also discovered a nasty little leak behind the EGR tube ,the top where it bolts to the throttle body.I dont know how many times I sprayed carb cleaner and did a propane enrichment test in that area and I never found it.Thats fixed too
Karma really did it right by machining a nice Delrin spacer.Its a beautiful piece.But mine works flawless too.She starts,she pumps,I'm happy! It's a new car.
I would encourage anyone who is having driveability issues to get in there and inspect the fuel pump filters.Not the fuel  filter outside and underneath the car but the intank ones.There are 2.If they are torn,chances are youre pump is going sour.Regardless if the pump is still operational.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 3:39 am

Im not sure about that pump?
It's still a bear to get them to fit nice and tight in the oem sump. Takes some doing
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 12:10 pm

That AEM pump me Charlie and Tyler got fit pretty well and it's pretty quiet. Barely even notice it if I switch on the ignition.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Sounds good Matt. I will search to find more info on it thanks.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 am

The difference in fitment that Robo is noting is specific to a series one.(As is this thread.) You have a 98, so following others with the 96+ should yield success.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I   Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump - Series I
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3