Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers

Go down 
+24
VJD2
Rickw
crlombardi69
Abaddon
98RIV7777
captshiner
Michael
ibmoses
Chicken
Supercharged
ewolfe0050
1998 Riv
dezorro
97rivman
dreww
turtleman
SpaceBar
deekster_caddy
98riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
urbsnspices
AA
T Riley
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm

The stick is 12556460 and the tube is 12562853. You should be able to go to any GM parts store and they will order it for you so you don't have to pay shipping
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:16 pm

yup. I got it from Ed anyway because it was less with shipping than buying it new at the dealership. Here in canada, dealer cost is approximately what you guys pay for list!

Also, Aaron's write-up makes the install look deceivingly simple. Dislodging the bolts is a challenge in itself...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 pm

u guys are shaking my confidence happy
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 am

My car had over 100k miles when I did the job. It's a days work, pretty straightforward. Have your welds done at a shop. The rockers took me longer to install and involved more risk.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 03, 2007 11:34 pm

heres my install, a little different.

1. i used EGR block of plates and totally removed the EGR. I have some actual room back there now. heres the header plated off
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 2003658473830184851_th
and the intake blocked off
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 2003661265353916827_th

2. the new o2 sensor harness would fit my riv, so we used the extension and pulled the connector from the new harness and pushed them into the original connector.
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 2003676282216489421_th
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 03, 2007 11:38 pm

couples extras: for the life of us, we could not disconnect the stock crossover peice from the read exhaust manifold. we had to cut it with a saw, so the stock exhaust (minus the front manifold) is worthless. the rear manifold isnt shown here
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 2003634570897020550_th

and installed:
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 2003666197434892587_th

entire thing only took about 8-10 hours depending on if you count a couple breaks. rockers were much harder. I didnt get photos of it, but I got the straight pipe in place of the old cat. the welds are ok, but there is an obvious leak so i will be going to the shop for touch up welds.

ran the car around the neighborhood, its running lean but I dont know if the exhaust leak causes that, if I need to tune, if there is a vac leak (intake block off plate may leak), or if the PCM just need to learn.

Update: drove it a little yesterday and the fuel trims are rich until it warms up. They they bounce from 16.4 down to 4 back up to 16.4. Weird?

new update: got the massive exhaust leak fixed where the straight pipe connected to the stock cat back system. Its alot quieter now, but the headers did give the engine more grumble. I can hear that annoying ticking AA talked about now. Fuel trims only got to +11 so I think the leak fix helped.
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake
Merit : 0

PostSubject: i did a search   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 pm

and didnt find anything on anyone installing tog's, i have the cash to buy some headers so i was leaning towards letting out some more air out
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm

what the heck, why does this go with the SLP thread....cant i just have my own thread?????
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm

i mean i specifially said TOG's.......dont mean to seem like an *** here but ive had my posts combind with too many threads
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 6:42 pm

togs, slp, zzp knock off's, headers are pretty much the same. installing them should go just like in this write-up. no need to have a separate thread for each manufacture of the same part.
if you install togs on a series 1 motor, you can have your own thread happy

Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Supercharged wrote:
what the heck, why does this go with the SLP thread....cant i just have my own thread?????

NO THREAD FOR YOU!
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 Sein_soup_nazi
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 7:55 pm

CHICKEN!! Welcome back!
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Chicken wrote:
Supercharged wrote:

NO THREAD FOR YOU!
Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 Sein_soup_nazi

Thats great! yay

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
togs, slp, zzp knock off's, headers are pretty much the same. installing them should go just like in this write-up. no need to have a separate thread for each manufacture of the same part.
if you install togs on a series 1 motor, you can have your own thread happy

really, thanks for the heads up
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Supercharged wrote:
i mean i specifially said TOG's.......dont mean to seem like an *** here but ive had my posts combind with too many threads

That's because we like AA to keep all related information in one place so we can find it. A header install is pretty much a header install. They have their minor differences.

One of the things I've grown to like about this board is that there aren't hundreds of two-post threads asking the same questions over and over. That is rampant on other boards. At least your post wasn't deleted!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:52 pm

What are the primaries on the TOGs you are looking at? IIRC there are TOGs and TOG Extremes. The Extremes have a larger primary which is really a track-only engine build kind of header.
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 pm

[quote="deekster_caddy"]
Supercharged wrote:

That's because we like AA to keep all related information in one place so we can find it. A header install is pretty much a header install. They have their minor differences.

One of the things I've grown to like about this board is that there aren't hundreds of two-post threads asking the same questions over and over. That is rampant on other boards. At least your post wasn't deleted!![/quote]

im surprised...and seriously, thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Michael
Special
Michael

Name : Mick

PostSubject: Header Compatibility   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 11:37 am

I have read that GTP headers will indeed fit onto a 98' Rivy, but I guess what my question really is, is the performane level. Will they fit on with little, or no issues or modifications? Will they perform well, or at least comparable to aftermarket headers? I have just received a free pair from a friend, and am just curious if it is even an option to use them! Any info would be great. Thanks........
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Do you mean GTP exhaust manifolds? If they are true headers, they're aftermarket. GTP uses same engine and exhaust manifolds as the Riv. See installation of GTP headers on a '98 Riviera earlier in this thread.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Michael
Special
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Well clearly this guy that I was talking to, did not know what he was talking about. So your saying that they are stock with manifolds instead of headers. I'm not familiar with the Pontiacs, but he said otherwise... Guess I'll start a header fund ! lol Thanks
Back to top Go down
Michael
Special
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm

I have not seen them just yet, or I guess that I would have known better. bummer... pale
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 pm

On the Series II, it's not a buick/pontiac/oldsmobile difference. It's all the same engine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
Michael
Special
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks guys, new to the V6, have only worked on Chevy / GM trucks for Quite some time, so please excuse my ignorance on such matters. My wife has a V6 Mitsu, but I have not done anything to it in the 3 1/2 years that we have owned it. Looking at it, I'm not sure if I want to either, damn nippon crap....lol
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:45 pm

I HATE doing anything on Asian cars, there's no room to work and they're all ass-backwards in design.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Oh wow, all this time I thought we needed "special" headers for our rivs because of the bends and routing of our headers, I never knew that the GTP and riv and all other series II 3800 supercharged engine headers were identical. I guess because when I was looking them up last summer I saw listings for the GTP and SSEI's and it always said call company about Riviera's so I thought they had to be special ordered or something, lol. I still dont have the cash right now to afford them though, hopefully by this summer I'll beable to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next