Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust

Go down 
+9
AA
97rivman
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
96riv
'96reese
robotennis61
palermocorey90
T Riley
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust Empty
PostSubject: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 9:48 pm

as title says NAME THE PROBLEM
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 pm

white smoke is rings or water in the oil, the supra was doing this last week.. check/change your oil, and change the antifreeze to, that should fix it. unless if its rings i doubt it is tho

Last edited by palermocorey90 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm

burning oil
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 pm

pull the dip stick and see if the oil looks milky. if so you have coolant mixing with the oil. upper intake gasket or head gasket is blown. mine did that and it was a hole in the plentium.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Head gasket.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:54 pm

travis if its the head gaskets good luck, my hands still hurt from pulling my engine apart and i work on cars every day of the week. but the 3800 heads are the biggest pita i have ever had to work on. if you need some help send me an IM and i will help you out. dont for get that the 3800 had the big LIM gasket problem. it took me about 2 hours start to finish to do it.but i know what i was doing it might take you and hour er so longer. if you need help give me a shout dude i can help you out
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Travis, you should be able to find plenty of help in the Twin Cities area thru the MNClubGP forums. I know there are some members there that work on these engines for a living.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 pm

im going to change the LIM gaskets BUT would this cause the car not to drive?? i dont think so!

I really can't diagnose the tranny problem IF any! anyone have any suggestions for having a place diagnose a problem for cheap? and tell me EXACTLY whats wrong so i can fix it?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Travis, you should be able to find plenty of help in the Twin Cities area thru the MNClubGP forums. I know there are some members there that work on these engines for a living.

yes you are correct you know DOHCZ24? chris? he and i have been workin on this quite a bit...... just letting the rivi guys kno my problem........ its not a head gasket because that would cause a pretty bad misfire
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:08 pm

'96reese wrote:
pull the dip stick and see if the oil looks milky. if so you have coolant mixing with the oil. upper intake gasket or head gasket is blown. mine did that and it was a hole in the plentium.

did your car still drive? like go in reverse and stuff?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:25 am

check trans fluid level?
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 pm

yah it drove. it looked like i was burning rubber the 50 miles i drove it home. big ass white clouds of smoke
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:42 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
check trans fluid level?

Yessir....... This is the same problem i have had for the last month! happy just decided to make a more professional topic with a MUCH better description
UPDATE
I Flushed the Transmission myself about 1 month before all went to heck! unfortunately i didnt change the filter! do you think its at all possible my filter/pan is REALLY gummed up? neutral

Last edited by 98riviera98 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:42 pm

uh oh, time for a new motor....im guessing from experience, that your motor is crapped.

if im correct....wasnt you who was saying your not reading any boost, and u just swapped out ur 3" pulley

if so then yeah....your motor is done!!! Get a new one
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:45 pm

97rivman wrote:
uh oh, time for a new motor....im guessing from experience, that your motor is crapped.

if im correct....wasnt you who was saying your not reading any boost, and u just swapped out ur 3" pulley

if so then yeah....your motor is done!!! Get a new one
haha nope that was Dreww
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=106
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:50 pm

didnt u just take off a 3" pulley?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:51 pm

97rivman wrote:
didnt u just take off a 3" pulley?

NO i have a 3.4 inch pulley but im not putting it on until i port my exhaust manifolds and get a downpipe
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 6:36 pm

I highly doubt that my tranny was ever flushed before i did it at 144K miles, i never changed the filter or dropped the pan when doing that............. Do you think its worth a shot at droppin my pan and draining the fluid putting in a new filter and fluid then attempting to drive it to see progress and then go and get it flushed and then drop the pan and change the filter and put in new fluid??? or is it not worth the 70-80 bucks???
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Check the fluid. If it's red, no need to change. It sounds like two different, unrelated problems. Transmission is dead, and as for the white smoke, how much are we talkin' about here?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm

[quote="AA"]Check the fluid. If it's red, no need to change. It sounds like two different, unrelated problems. Transmission is dead, and as for the white smoke, how much are we talkin' about here?[/quote]

i will take a video tommorow:]
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 pm

Did you say you flushed the trans fluid but didn't change the filter? That could kill a trans... clogged filter = very bad frown

As far as the smoke, you can have a leaking head gasket without a misfire. Head gasket or LIM are the most likely places to have coolant leaking. Check your spark plugs, one of them should tell the tale.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Did you say you flushed the trans fluid but didn't change the filter? That could kill a trans... clogged filter = very bad frown

if the trans pump is THAT clogged! would it not let the tranny shift properly and keep valves stuck open causing it to go foward in PRND321?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm

If the FILTER is that clogged, no fluid is getting to the pump!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
If the FILTER is that clogged, no fluid is getting to the pump!

i'm going to buy a filter tommorow. and some lim gaskets and check it out!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 pm

pull your plugs. Do a compression test. You don't want to do the LIM gasket only to discover that you need a head gasket (and thus have to do the LIM all over again).

Admittedly it is very common to need a LIM gasket, but you should do a compression test beforehand anyway, and plug inspection. That way you know which cylinder you are looking for and you know what leak to confirm when you get the LIM off. You should be able to locate the passage the coolant was using to get to the intake runner.

Rent a compression tester from Autozone or buy one from Sears, or wherever. They aren't that expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust   Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust Empty

Back to top Go down

Car will not drive white smoke from behind engine and exhust
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: