Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)

Go down 
+64
97rivman1
AlienShoe
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
LaFlare
matt270avian
designer1962
Z-type
highwaywarrior
The Roadmaster
crstump
RidzRiv
GEAREDUP
robotennis61
ejeraser
Cmurphy
Lenrapkins
BMD
97 park ave
Abaddon
Natesriv
Eldo
LARRY70GS
Hometown Hero
crosss3
T Riley
rivman96
Rickw
curious riv
captshiner
gotboost?
lyonsperformance
manofmany
riviera2454
Lucas
ibmoses
TonySmooth89
1wickedninja
albertj
baynes72
RhinoFLA
ZEP
1998 Riv
sburch23
overownt
deekster_caddy
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Buapo
dreww
Shintsu
BillBoost37
Jason
shrek90
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
turtleman
urbsnspices
98riv
AA
NO 4 EVR
robertwolf86
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 8:22 am

Keep your chin up..it's just a tire.

My car is eating hard parts like warm butter.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 3:45 am

I think the thing to be wary of, Zep, is that sometimes there are coincidental failures (unrelated stuff that goes wrong at the same time). The conincidence in your case could be a bad ignition switch or a crapped-out crank sensor.

Don't panic, neither of those is terrible although getting the harmonic balancer off to replace the crank sensor is a bear without the special tool (might just pay the dealer to do it, they hae the tool). Only reason I mention that is that last year my crank sensor and ignition switch failed intermittently at a bout the same time and it took a while (and a few flatbed tows) to figure it all out.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 am

If you need a balancer and post it up.. we can tell you exactly how and what tools to have on hand for a successful swap.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 10:38 am

Awesome, thanks. She got the tire replaced the day of the incident and the car's started up fine for the past several days. So right now we're good (crosses fingers).
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Help w/ Coupler & "Hesitation" Question   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 pm

Seems whenever I post anymore around here I've got a problem or something of the sort. Well, yesterday, I replaced my spark plugs, which I believe were the original ones on my 132k mile car, and changed the oil, and put a new fuel filter in. Then I took it to my mechanic and had him investigate my power steering, which made a rubbing noise whenever I turned. Said I needed a new rack and pinion... $500 out the window there. Then I had him do a carbon flush of the engine just for the peace of mind. Then he found that my oil pan gasket had to be replaced because of leakage.

So I had a nice day of car fixing up yesterday. All of this seems to have fixed my sort of hesitation problem, where, at speeds of like 60-65mph, my car would hesitate a while before shifting. It seems to have helped a bit, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It never seems to hesitate under other circumstances. My ignition wires are original, btw. May they be the culprits?

After driving my wonderful 01 Buick Century around for all of yesterday and today thus far, when I went back to my car, it seemed lest... boosty at the low end, for sort of a lack of a better term. Unless I put more pressure than I remember putting on the pedal before, it doesn't really get moving fast. It seems like after my tune up, it doesn't get going as quickly as before without more gas.

And one final thing... I can hear my coupler rattling in my supercharger (at least I think that's what it is). I definately hear a rattling when going slowly or getting lightly on the gas. But I see all this information about changing it. What, though, is the purpose of changing it, and when it goes bad, what generally happens? Basically, my question is why replace the coupler besides getting rid of the rattling sound it makes? I'm probably reading over something, but anyway... any help on these issues would be great.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:55 pm

What year is your Riv?

The S/C rattle is most likely the coupler and most people have this problem, but I don't see a need to change it unless the sound is absolutley annoying....otherwise its good for awhile...

you definelty need to change the wires, then see what it does....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:56 pm

oh...just curious if the dealership was full of shit.....did replacing the rack and pinion resolve the steering noise??
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:01 pm

Well, it wasn't a dealership. The guy I have work on my car is a real good friend of mine and he always does a good job at whatever it is to my vehicles, but yeah, the noise is completely gone. And to think... it had been making the noise since I bought the car 3 years ago :S

It's a 98, yeah. So the coupler's not really an issue right now then except for the noise? And I'm assuming wires would be the next cheapest thing to do? Any other things that might have something to do with it just so I know what I could be in for?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 pm

The coupler is an easy change, and places like the WBS say once you use their replacement coupler you wont have to change it again. One reason to change it if it sounds like a ball bering orgy under the hood is because once there is around a 1/4 inch of play it has been known to cause engine knock. To check the play just twist the pulley back and forth with the belt off. Plus changing it makes the car sound much more respectable at an idle.

Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 pm

start with the wires....they need to be changed anyway....no need to spend money on stuff you dont need....
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Karma wrote:
The coupler is an easy change, and places like the WBS say once you use their replacement coupler you wont have to change it again. One reason to change it if it sounds like a ball bering orgy under the hood is because once there is around a 1/4 inch of play it has been known to cause engine knock. To check the play just twist the pulley back and forth with the belt off. Plus changing it makes the car sound much more respectable at an idle.

can it cause a knock issue? I didn't know that....
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Chicken wrote:
Karma wrote:

can it cause a knock issue? I didn't know that....

ya, but were talking 1/4 play... way too much...

+1 on wires... i had hesitation on heavy load with bad wires once

Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:52 pm

I also still have stock wires on my riviera with 75k miles guess it's time 2 change mine 2 .
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Alright, I'll go to the dealership tomorrow and get some stock Delco ones and put them on and we'll go from there. Anyone have any input on the low end acceleration problem? (Basically, accelerating from a stop). I did a 20 to 60 accel and it took about as long as usual, so it seems to just be on the low end.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 pm

I thought our wires had a near 0% failure rate? Why would you need to change them?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Shintsu wrote:
I thought our wires had a near 0% failure rate? Why would you need to change them?

No they fail , theyre just good wires in general and they perform as well as any aftermarket ones for the most part.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 10:07 pm

ZEP wrote:
Seems whenever I post anymore around here I've got a problem or something of the sort. Well, yesterday, I replaced my spark plugs, which I believe were the original ones on my 132k mile car, and changed the oil, and put a new fuel filter in. Then I took it to my mechanic and had him investigate my power steering, which made a rubbing noise whenever I turned. Said I needed a new rack and pinion... $500 out the window there. Then I had him do a carbon flush of the engine just for the peace of mind. Then he found that my oil pan gasket had to be replaced because of leakage.

So I had a nice day of car fixing up yesterday. All of this seems to have fixed my sort of hesitation problem, where, at speeds of like 60-65mph, my car would hesitate a while before shifting. It seems to have helped a bit, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It never seems to hesitate under other circumstances. My ignition wires are original, btw. May they be the culprits?

After driving my wonderful 01 Buick Century around for all of yesterday and today thus far, when I went back to my car, it seemed lest... boosty at the low end, for sort of a lack of a better term. Unless I put more pressure than I remember putting on the pedal before, it doesn't really get moving fast. It seems like after my tune up, it doesn't get going as quickly as before without more gas.

And one final thing... I can hear my coupler rattling in my supercharger (at least I think that's what it is). I definately hear a rattling when going slowly or getting lightly on the gas. But I see all this information about changing it. What, though, is the purpose of changing it, and when it goes bad, what generally happens? Basically, my question is why replace the coupler besides getting rid of the rattling sound it makes? I'm probably reading over something, but anyway... any help on these issues would be great.

By hesitating do you mean it bogs down(looses power)?
Or does the transmission hesitate(slip)?

When you take off from a dead start, are you positive the trans. is in low gear?

Pull the shifter all the way into L and see if that changes things.
Change all the gears manually and see if that makes a difference.
Bert
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 pm

I don't know why a worn coupler would cause knock.

Start with the wires, for sure.

I'd replace the coupler if the noise is too annoying for you. Otherwise it probably isn't in much danger of actually breaking up. It just wears and becomes loose resuling in rattle and maybe less efficient blower operation. I replaced mine early in the spring, and it's been quiet since then. Was very noisy mostly at idle and shutdown. Use the green ZZP one, about $30.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:36 pm

The knock sensor can pick up on any mechanical knock... coupler, motor/trans mounts, down pipe hitting the front sway bar, and in my case, TB hitting the hood under deceleration (w/IC testing clearance) ...etc...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:50 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
The knock sensor can pick up on any mechanical knock... coupler, motor/trans mounts, down pipe hitting the front sway bar, and in my case, TB hitting the hood under deceleration (w/IC testing clearance) ...etc...

How can mounts make a knocking?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 pm

But I've never heard of a worn coupler making noise while under load. Mine never did, and it was pretty darn sloppy turning the pulley by hand. Under load it should be quiet.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 8:46 am

1998 Riv wrote:
It just wears and becomes loose resuling in rattle and maybe less efficient blower operation.

So if it could mean that the blower isn't putting out as much power as it could (which is what I'm gathering from what you said), then that's reason enough to replace it. If I were to buy a new one, I should go with the green ZZP one and that's it, or should I get the GM gasket maker from INTENSE too?

Quote :
By hesitating do you mean it bogs down(looses power)?
Or does the transmission hesitate(slip)?

After driving the thing today (it isn't really reproducable, it just happens occasionally), and giving about 50% throttle, which is the pressure it usually happens at, I'm pretty sure the trans is slipping. I was watching the RPM rate while it happened, it went down a bit, then hopped back up about a second later. I can't recall the exact rpm # but I'll try to reproduce it again if numbers are necessary.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 9:38 am

Perhaps the catalytic converter is almost clogged up?
The carbon flush could have helped cause the problem...

No idea here, just guessing.

Good Luck

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm

I agree with Bert on the cat. I was thinking the same thing reading this thread. Mine went out before 100k miles.

Fixing the SC coupler is all about the noise, imo. I did mine at about 120k miles, and the stock one was in really good shape. I don't feel it was hindering performance or causing knock. In fact, if i could have lived with the noise, I believe it would have lasted at least another 100k. I noticed no power increase after replacing.

The coupler is basically a plastic cushion, working as a flexible medium between the blower's drive shaft and the gears that drive the rotors. When the SC pulley tells the rotors to turn, the coupler makes this happen with less of a jolt, as the plastic absorbs the shock. Also, if the rotors or gears should become jammed, the coupler will probably break, sparing your SC belt drive, and possible underhood damage.

A coupler has 6 holes. The blower shaft has three prongs or fingers coming in from one side, while the gear drive has 3 prongs coming from the other. These prongs fit into the holes, in effect "coupling" the two together. A coupler is said to be worn out when the holes in the coupler become stretched and enlarged, allowing the prongs to have slop. The blower still turns the same speed. The power output is the same, but it makes a noise at idle because the RPM is low enough that the prongs can dance around inside the holes. In theory, a worn coupler can more easily become a broken coupler, but I've never heard of one failing. I do agree with Dave that the ZZP is a good choice. I use one, and checking it after 30k miles or so, it's still tight.

I also agree new ignition wires are in order. The fact that yours lasted for 130k miles is evidence of the great durability our OEM wires have. This would be considered amazing performance for wires on a normal engine. Factor in that we are supercharged (using MUCH higher spark voltage) and it's almost unbelievable that you got this far. It's also more reason to go with stockers again. AC/Delphi really beefed these wires up to support our engine's needs. You probably won't see this longevity with even the best aftermarkets. Unless you are increasing the coil voltage, why pay more?

FYI, plug wires are a maintenance item, like brake pads or spark plugs. They aren't intended to last forever. This is why a tune up always consists of fresh wires. A great set of wires is only expected to last 50k miles. To last 100k like ours often do is quite remarkable.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I agree, the coupler change is more about noise elimination than anything else. MIne was especially noisy when I shut off the engine, it would really rattle to a stop. Well worth the $30 and time to swap it, if you are up to a bit of a project. Not difficult, but of course that depends on how comfortable you are with taking off the SC snout. Read thru the writeup on this to help you decide. No need to order any special gasket maker, just pick up some RTV sealant at your local parts store.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next