Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems

Go down 
+12
albertj
97rivsc
jax95riv
SuperRiv07
Face
deekster_caddy
98RIV7777
Chicken
99Rivman
RhinoFLA
Mr.Riviera
6spd
16 posters
AuthorMessage
6spd
Amateur

Merit : 0

FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon May 12, 2008 4:31 pm

You can hear it try to disengage when you hit the button. All it does is click. Anyone know how to get the door open?

Thanks!!
james
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

pull the release in the trunk

Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon May 12, 2008 5:31 pm

This actually just happened to mine.. when I get the chance, i'm going to pull the release mechanism out, because only the little nipple at the end works, not the entire thing,,
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon May 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Mine does the same thing now and then too, like Matthew said you can "pull the release in the trunk", or, since my release cable was not accessible for a while, I was able to get it open by tapping on the door while someone else was pushing the button. help bonk
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 9:43 am

this happened to me too....I adjusted (bent) the catch a bit and it now works again, but I have to hit the release button several times before it pops....some fine tuning (bending) should get it working on the first hit
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 11:14 am

Ya you just have to play with it aliitle bit, and try using a little silicone spray and that should get it worrking like new again, I know thats what I usually do with mine, because it just seems to gunk up sometimes.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 8:19 pm

If you go inside the door there is a little spring that loses it's springyness after 10 years. Pry it back out with a screwdriver and it will work again for a few months, but you can't buy it separately. I bought a new gas door to get a new spring...
Back to top Go down
Face
Rookie
Face

Name : Mike

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 5:21 pm

I hoped this thread would fix my problem. Well, it appears I may have a bad relay and will have to use the manual release till I fix it.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 6:47 pm

that happened to mine also? should I just spray it with wd 40
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Chicken wrote:
this happened to me too....I adjusted (bent) the catch a bit and it now works again, but I have to hit the release button several times before it pops....some fine tuning (bending) should get it working on the first hit

Yep. That's what I did too. It works fine now. Every once in a while I'll have to hit it twice.

Quote :
I hoped this thread would fix my problem. Well, it appears I may have a bad relay and will have to use the manual release till I fix it.

If it's clicking...your relay is working.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 pm

RhinoFLA wrote:
This actually just happened to mine.. when I get the chance, i'm going to pull the release mechanism out, because only the little nipple at the end works, not the entire thing,,

I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think that's all that does work. At least on mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:44 am

So i sprayed mine down and cleaned it works great
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 am

for some reason now my fuel door release button on the driver door doesn't make that clicking sound. I think it might be because of the cold, it was working perfectly like two days ago but since we dropped to 25 it stopped working, any insight?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am

I think the relay might also be out cuz the button no longer does anything, not even a click like most other people
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 10:37 am

What happens when you pull the release in the trunk? Does the door spring open?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 12:12 pm

When you are washing the car, consider using a sponge or some such with a spray-on cleaner (like Simple Green, or teh Castrol stuff in teh purple bottle/can) to wash the gunk off the gas door hinge, then use WD-40 or lubri-plate (a spray on lube that clots up in the air and stays where you spray it) to re-lube the hinge. If your hinge is rusty you may want to use some steel wool to clean it off, then when it's dry apply a rust converter (makes it a black primer in a day or so) and then schmeer it with axle grease (squeeze some from your grease gun) or spray with the lithium stuff used on garage door hardware.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:01 pm

ya it springs open when i pulled the release in the trunk, so its the switch that isn't working
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 1:57 pm

I have this same problem. Door clicks with I hit the button so it's just binding somewhere. Will try a little more bending of the tab that sits against the rubber stopper in the door. I'm guessing that piece gets bent the wrong way over time so that it sticks. Will also clean everything in there with WD-40.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:19 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I have this same problem. Door clicks with I hit the button so it's just binding somewhere. Will try a little more bending of the tab that sits against the rubber stopper in the door. I'm guessing that piece gets bent the wrong way over time so that it sticks. Will also clean everything in there with WD-40.

Open it up and get someone else to hit the button. The solenoid that opens the plunger might be sticking or worn. Maybe get replacement from Ed Morad if that is the case.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Hard4unot2
Amateur
Hard4unot2

Name : Herb

PostSubject: Gas Tank Cover   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 pm

And this morning I must have pulled the gas tank cover release in the trunk too hard and now it won't close... how hard is that fix? (95 Riv sc) (I don't know why my Signature won't show)
Back to top Go down
http://hseintegrated.com
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm

I suspect grime in the gas door area, the release is just a small plastic pin that gets retracted by a cable. The cable is frozen or the pin is stuck closed. There is also an 'emergency release' cable in the trunk, right behind the gas door. Make sure nothing is pulling on that.

In your user prefs you need to 'enable' your sig. Go to your Profile page, click on the Preferences section and "Always Attach My Signature"
Back to top Go down
brians74x
Enthusiast
brians74x

Name : Brian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:39 pm

All else fails use a slightly bent platic card like a debit card and insert were the latch and the lid meet and presto
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 am

All I had to do to mine when it wouldn't open was:
#1 Open it manually
#2 Clean and lube with WD-40

That was several months ago and no problem yet.

Have added lubing the mechanism to my Preventive Maintenance items.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems   FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Fuel Door Release Problems
Page 1 of 1