Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Service Engine Soon Light ???

Go down 
+3
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
Natesriv
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Service Engine Soon Light ??? Empty
PostSubject: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptySun May 25, 2008 11:15 am

Just went on. Went to Advanced Auto, code had something to do with evaporatiive emission controls (something to that extent)

I'm thinking could be O2 sensor, but anyone have any other ideas? What parts are part of the evaporative emission control "system"???

Oh, in MO we sell 10% ethanol gas so I've been putting in regular 89 octane. Just filled up at a mom & pop place, so maybe crappy gas???

Any thoughts???

Gracias amigos!

car runs fine besides that light.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptySun May 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Could be your gas cap is not on tight enough. I forget the exact code for it but mine gives me that once in a while and it goes out on it's own. The car still drives fine and everything it just has the light on dunno.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptySun May 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Most likely the gas cap. Recheck it...
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:00 am

Natesriv wrote:
Just went on. Went to Advanced Auto, code had something to do with evaporatiive emission controls (something to that extent)

I'm thinking could be O2 sensor, but anyone have any other ideas? What parts are part of the evaporative emission control "system"???

Oh, in MO we sell 10% ethanol gas so I've been putting in regular 89 octane. Just filled up at a mom & pop place, so maybe crappy gas???

Any thoughts???

Gracias amigos!

car runs fine besides that light.

could also be the "evap sensor" (I think its called). On my 96 its on the rear of the engine, hanging over the rear valve cover. Its cylinder shaped and within a week of replacing mine I got the light again (before I knew about tuning/SES codes).

I think it was initially caused by broken vac lines.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 3:39 am

find out the code number. tell me the year, and if its super or non. i'll look up the dtc on my manuel.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:37 am

If the light goes on again, I'll get the code #

Once before it did it. I took it to Autozone and they said the code was probably a gas cap. Bought a new one and no effect. Turns out, a fuel return line (or some line) had come loose from a little canister on the back of the engine. I could hear a weird sound while the engine was at idle. Popped the line back on, problem solved.

It wasn't loose this time, although I suspect it may be related to that. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a cracked line.

Let you guys know!

Thanks,
Nate
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 8:44 am

Light went on again on way to work. I'll have Advanced Auto clear code, but I'll get the # first. I think it may be a vacuum related problem.

The O2 sensor isn't part of the evaporative emission control "system" anyway is it??
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 8:53 am

I once had a badly cracked vac line. Made the transmission shift hard at times, but no code, and no SES light.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:07 am

Car runs fine, but i sure don't want that light on!
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 6:28 am

Being a Bonne guy...I'm horrible at telling Riv years by sig pics. Please tell us what year your car you have.

Evap codes usually have nothing to do with the O2 sensor. O2 not switching, O2 slow toggle, O2 insufficient activity are examples of codes that indicate a bad O2.

Many of the parts puppies will tell a customer that an emission based code is "probably an 02" sensor when it isn't.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 11:19 am

Sorry, I have a 96 Riviera.
I unplugged the positive on the battery for about 20 minutes to clear the code. But it will come back I'm sure. Then I'll got to the parts store to get the code number. But I think it's the same one I had last time. And the guy at the store said it was the gas cap. it wasn't it was a fuel return line (I think return line) had popped off.

I'll take a pic and post what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 am

Okay, the code was P1441 - Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge

I searched here and saw mention of it. so I took the purge solenoid and valve off. The autoparts store has the solenoid, but no valve. However, I tapped the valve lightly a few times and put it all back together and now, no light.... Maybe the valve was stuck.

I'll keep the solenoid for a week, if it doesn't go off again I'll take it back and get a refund (it's not on the car, the OEM still is)

thanks all!!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Nope, light came back on, so I put the solenoid on. Light is still on. However I think it has to go a certain number of cycles before it resets, so i'll wait a day or two and see if it goes off.

if not, does anyone know the part # for the purge valve itself? Not the solenoid, but the valve??? My autoparts store didn't have it.

Thanks!
N.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Nevermind   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 12:21 pm

The light went out... The solenoid must have fixed the problem!
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 am

Good to hear.

Another possibility is hooking the hoses up to the opposite fittings.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Well, this all started a year or two ago. one day the SES light went on.. Couldn't figure it out, but while I was looking under hood with engine running I heard a weird faint popping sound. Turns out the return fuel line had come unplugged from that valve. Popped it back on and problem solved.
So when it went on again and I had code read, that was the first thought...did that hose pop off again? It hadn't...

But, thanks to this site I found out it was either the valve or the solenoid...turns out it was the solenoid.

Nice easy $36 fix... what do you think a dealer would charge to tell me that??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service Engine Soon Light ???   Service Engine Soon Light ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Service Engine Soon Light ???
Page 1 of 1