Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash

Go down 
+21
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
Sir Psycho Sexy
al_roethlisberger
GeneMpls
RoughNecks17
turtleman
upstatedon
ghpcnm
robotennis61
BigRay1125
LARRY70GS
BMD
albertj
VJD2
AA
moldymac
sburch23
Jack the R
palermocorey90
steve1173
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:49 pm

AA, dont you have a sub? I didnt know that you could wire a sub into the factory stereo!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:
It is interesting to note that in a thread elsewhere here about disassembling the console, it is mentioned that the later wood/faux-wood shift surround can be removed by removing some push-nuts from some rear studs to lift it off. This particular piece was glued and mounted with bent metal tabs, and the shift indicator window had been bonded to the rear of the piece. So it was built to be a semi-permanent and non-removable part of the console. So if the description that some of these wood shift surrounds can be removed by undoing some push nuts, that is another interesting distinction because this example doesn't seem to have that option.
You are right Al, I went back and looked at that post and saw where it states it can be removed by removing the push-nuts ...

Quote :
The wood trim itsself is glued to a metal plate which is secured to the top of the center consol with pushnuts. You have to remove the top piece of the center consol which is pretty easy, then remove the pushnuts un the bottom.
I wanted to be sure it wasn't something I had posted, again you are right, the shifter surround "cannot" be removed by removing "push-nuts" on any '96-'99 consoles, they are all the same, mounted in with tabs.

I just wanted to be sure I had not posted incorrect information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:

..... that's a die hard motorcyclist there, riding in 10F cool

agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:36 pm

So, I was reviewing the wrecking yard's "recent additions" to see if they had any new donors this week, and their inventory for the Riviera I pulled the wood piece from is listed as:

"1996 Oldsmobile Riveria"

rolleyes

razz
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 am

I need a new trim piece that goes around the shifter. It cracked yesterday in multiple pieces because of the cold. Is it possible to get just that piece anywhere?

Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:45 pm

98riv wrote:
I need a new trim piece that goes around the shifter.  It cracked yesterday in multiple pieces because of the cold.  Is it possible to get just that piece anywhere?

Sorry but no.  I was in the same boat as you are - cracked wood around the shifter.  The best you can do is to get a dash kit and install it over the old wood, which can be a big job depending on the color of your interior and how many pieces you want to use.  If you just want to cover the wood around the shifter, and the matching piece around the radio, it's not too bad, but if you want to do the whole kit there's a lot of interior pieces that have to be pulled (well, you could try to do the install without pulling any interior panels, but it will be a 100 times more difficult and you only get one chance to put the kit pieces on straight.)
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Jack the R wrote:

98riv wrote:
I need a new trim piece that goes around the shifter.  It cracked yesterday in multiple pieces because of the cold.  Is it possible to get just that piece anywhere?

Sorry but no.  I was in the same boat as you are - cracked wood around the shifter.  The best you can do is to get a dash kit and install it over the old wood, which can be a big job depending on the color of your interior and how many pieces you want to use.  If you just want to cover the wood around the shifter, and the matching piece around the radio, it's not too bad, but if you want to do the whole kit there's a lot of interior pieces that have to be pulled (well, you could try to do the install without pulling any interior panels, but it will be a 100 times more difficult and you only get one chance to put the kit pieces on straight.)

I was afraid to hear that, but figured that would be the case with the age of our vehicles. Thanks.

Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:51 pm

You could look in a junkyard for a clean piece, as rare as they are.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:48 pm

The piece itself isn't removable from the large section of the center console that it's a part of. IIRC that piece runs from the very front (includes the cupholder and cover for the cupholder) to the very rear (includes the bin under the arm rest).

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:21 am

I think going with the flow and cleaning and polishing what you find beneath the cracked trim is a good alternative too.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Sorry, the Riv is in hibernation, and I don't want to wake her up to take a new picture, but this is what it looks like if you peel all of the wood off and polish it. The area around the shifter is the same.Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 IMAG0123_zpsg3he6jzf
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: temp   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 pm

^^^^^^Beautiful! Im doing the exact same. Black dash , polished trim. Coming Spring 2015!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 pm

I polished mine like that (page 4 of thread). Looks good, but I will probably change it soon.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

I think that on black it really pops and looks good. I think it might not look as good with some of the wonkier colored interiors.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 7:11 pm

If only repairing the shifter area, one can get a 95 or 96 console top and paint the plastic to match.  

If you want the wood surround, the 96 has the wood surround, and while the 95 does not, the 96 wood surround can be added. If you find a wrecked 96 and the console top itself is not reusable, the wood shifter surround can be peeled off with care as it is just attached with double sided tape and some bent over aluminum tabs.

The 96 was the only year with real wood as I recall, and I had read that it was manufactured by Yamaha.  I added the 96 wood trim to my 95 by just gluing it on with double-sided tape to my 95 console top.

I have some photos posted here somewhere that show the 96 surround is real wood.

The 96 wood clear coat can crack too (mine has two hairlines) but doesn't seem to come apart like the faux wood of the 97+ models. But if just scratched, the 96 wood can be polished out.

You can see the 96 wood shifter surround mounted in my 95 here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t11174-repainted-dash-and-console-black?highlight=black+dash

Al
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:
If only repairing the shifter area, one can get a 95 or 96 console top and paint the plastic to match.  

If you want the wood surround, the 96 has the wood surround, and while the 95 does not, the 96 wood surround can be added. If you find a wrecked 96 and the console top itself is not reusable, the wood shifter surround can be peeled off with care as it is just attached with double sided tape and some bent over aluminum tabs.

The 96 was the only year with real wood as I recall, and I had read that it was manufactured by Yamaha.  I added the 96 wood trim to my 95 by just gluing it on with double-sided tape to my 95 console top.

I have some photos posted here somewhere that show the 96 surround is real wood.

The 96 wood clear coat can crack too (mine has two hairlines) but doesn't seem to come apart like the faux wood of the 97+ models.  But if just scratched, the 96 wood can be polished out.

You can see the 96 wood shifter surround mounted in my 95 here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t11174-repainted-dash-and-console-black?highlight=black+dash

Al

That's good to know. Thanks!

Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 7:33 pm

FWIW, the '97 is real wood as well. It's an extremely thin overlay with some sort of an acrylic clear coat.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:06 pm

My 95 has real wood from the dealer when new. 20 years, 180k miles and it still looks new. Did 95's come with any wood at all or were they only installed as an add-on?

This picture is a couple years old but nothing has changed since then

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 TheRiv116_zpsf4e86412
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm

The '95's did not have any wood installed from the factory, only trim in the interior color.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
FWIW, the '97 is real wood as well. It's an extremely thin overlay with some sort of an acrylic clear coat.

Good to know, that means there are more "donors" out there wink .... all that should be saved when possible BTW since the real wood was a short lived trim piece. There's a 96 in a yard in Greensboro right now I plan to go checkout for some parts, that being one of them.

I had thought the 96 was the only year with the real wood.....

Al
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:04 pm

I think it was talked about before that the wood on the 96 seemed much thicker. I've never seen a wood dash piece in good condition in person! razz
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
My 95 has real wood from the dealer when new. 20 years, 180k miles and it still looks new. Did 95's come with any wood at all or were they only installed as an add-on?

This picture is a couple years old but nothing has changed since then

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 TheRiv116_zpsf4e86412

No, the 95's had no wood trim, faux or real.  As noted above, the 95's simply had the interior monochrome 'elastic' plastic coating from the factory on the dash, console and door "swooshes".

The wood trim on your 95 you have illustrated above was an aftermarket kit either installed by the dealer or by a previous owner.

Here are some threads that discuss the various wood kits:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6425-write-up-bd-trims-and-sherwood-dash-kit-installation

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6424-post-pics-of-your-wood-dash-kit-here

BTW, your kit looks like it has remained in great shape and is a sharp finish.

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
I think it was talked about before that the wood on the 96 seemed much thicker. I've never seen a wood dash piece in good condition in person! razz

Yeah, faux or real, I think wood trim takes a real beating in an automotive environment and that's not unique to the Riviera whether a factory or aftermarket kit. Being also active in the Jaguar community, I see a lot of wood finishes there crack and haze from age.

I think the factory wood, at least in the 96, is probably a bit more durable than most of the aftermarket kits I've used on cars before. But I think the real difference is environmental. I suspect that cars that have been kept garaged, or better yet in conditioned garages, probably have wood finishes that hold up better.

Cars left out in the heat and go through thermal cycles as well as lots of Sun probably fail much sooner.

Al
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Has anyone used water transferred printing before? I was thinking it could be used on the metal piece to replace the cracked fake wood. I don't know if the metal can be removed or not though. Something like this http://hdhydro.com/Wood.htm?m=87&s=596

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3