Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

engine vacuum at oil fill?

Go down 
+2
albertj
baynes72
6 posters
AuthorMessage
baynes72
Amateur

Name : chris
Merit : 0

engine vacuum at oil fill? Empty
PostSubject: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 12:46 am

ive done some work on my 95 s/c and the other day i noticed something and it may be nothing but im not sure. when i took off the oil fill cap there was a good amount of vacuum there and the car even ran a little diffrently. im wondering if my lower intake gaskets may be leaking or maybe i did something even more stupid and installed something wrong headbutt
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:56 am

Hmmm... isn't that normal?
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 am

maybe, just never noticed it before. ive owned this car twice now and the car was sold twice between now and the previous time i owned it. both owners beat the car badly (one drove it from northern indiana to georgia with no supercharger oil). i noticed that the intake and supercharger bolts were mixed up when i changed the blower so i dont know how deep the people went into it. could be worried about nothing but thought id check
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am

I think a little vacuum is better then a little pressure. Your pcv valve should maintain a little vacuum. May just want to pop in a new one if you never have.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 pm

agree

Yes, there should be vacuum at idle, but not like a vacuum cleaner. afraid
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm

lot like vacuum cleaner. do you guys think im headed in the right direction with lower intake? or what else should i try?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 am

I don't see the lowers doing it.

Thinking about this..the lowers have intake and water passages only. There is quite a bit of material and added sealing lines between the oil return areas and the intake runners. Vacuum like that is typically a pcv issue. Meaning when the PCV clogs it allows vacuum from the intake manifold to be pulled on the crankcase. Where as when the pcv functions properly it shoudl keep any vaccum from being pulled on it, only relieving pressure from blow by etc.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am

First and cheapest option is replace the PCV. Cheap part, but you won't find a gasket at the parts store, and it's not needed. Just use a thin layer of RTV when you put the PCV cover back on. If the old PCV rattles freely, you likely have other issues. Can't say I've ever heard of someone having a lot of vacuum pull at the oil cap.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Ya, definately replace the pcv if you've never replaced it before first, this should solve your problem smile
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 pm

ill do it today. and will post results. and thanks for all the info.
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm

done. running much better thanks to all
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 am

Was it the PCV?
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 3:25 am

i hate to admit it but i forgot to check the valve for rattle when i changed the supercharger and it was stuck, kinda feel a little dumb right now...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 3:55 am

...not as bad as leaving the connector off the airflow sensor when replacing the air cleaner, or leaving the gas cap loose...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 11:37 am

Good, I am glad you fixed your problem
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 8:08 am

Checked or not ... it's nice when things are an easy fix. Smile and have a beer.
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 pm

i think i will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine vacuum at oil fill?   engine vacuum at oil fill? Empty

Back to top Go down

engine vacuum at oil fill?
Page 1 of 1