Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Supercharger Frustrations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
96RivSCMI
Enthusiast
96RivSCMI

Name : Kenon
Merit : 2

Supercharger Frustrations Empty
PostSubject: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 am

So here's the deal...

That past few weekends I've attempted to replace my supercharger coupler only to be stumped by two stripped bolts. I also found out that I have a small leak at the top of the s/c housing because when I removed a bolt it was covered in oil. mad So I just figured, "Eh. Whatever. I'll just go pick up some bolt-out sockets for my socket wrench and hammer 'em on next weekend."

So the second weekend comes along and for the life of me I cannot get the smaller socket to hammer on or the larger one to get a good enough grip. I have tried spraying some PB Blaster a couple of times and letting it sit. Unfortunately the two bolts are at the bottom of the housing in the hardest to reach areas. headbutt It doesn't seem like they should be torqued on there as much as I imagine they are.

To be honest I'm tired of dealing with it myself and am prepared to take it to my mechanic. giveup I figured they would have a better toolbox to deal with those dang bolts. What kind of labor charge can I expect?

Any more tips I might be able to use? I haven't tried dremeling a groove for a flathead screwdriver but I don't think I could get the dremel down in there.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 am

Skip the mechanic.. we know you can do this.. take a moment away from it and get the dremel out.

You can try the groove, however it sounds like it's past that. I would cut/grind the bolt head off. then once the snout is off..grab the bolt with the extractor or vise grips.

IIRC the bolt threads are 8x1.25 or 1.50 about 2.5-3" long.
Back to top Go down
96RivSCMI
Enthusiast
96RivSCMI

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 12:03 pm

The problem is getting something small enough to grip the bolts when the snout is still on. The bolts are located here;
Supercharger Frustrations Bolts
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 pm

My suggestion is to grind/cut the heads off the bolts. Then the snout is off and you can also remove the rotors. Once left wtih only the casing, bott it to a table and you should have over an inch of bolt shank to work on.

Additionally all the pressure is off the bolt and it'll probably come out much easier.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Can't you just slide the piece between the snout and blower housing off? (use a flat screwdriver) Then you can grab the shanks and turn them out.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96RivSCMI
Enthusiast
96RivSCMI

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Ok. I got what ya'll are saying. Duh. rolleyes Yeah, I could try that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger Frustrations   Supercharger Frustrations Empty

Back to top Go down

Supercharger Frustrations
Page 1 of 1