Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??

Go down 
+2
patillac
BoattailBob
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

Merit : 0

Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? Empty
PostSubject: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:52 am

Has anyone tried the stb brackets from Donald Rome @
http://www.drcustomparts.com/HomePage.htm ?? They fit the regal so I'm thinking they may also work for the riv.
I emailed him and he said he'd be willing to fab one if it didn't fit. He would need a riv to check thought. Anyone in the Chicago area interested in this?
Ive never been happy with the way my STS bar fit and it looks like these brackets would be a better solution.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

Name : Pat
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm

if he can make you one would you sell the old sts one?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1984caprice
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

I would but I had to bend the tabs and open up the holes to fit onto my '97. It never was a good fit and needed about 4 washers to clear the brake fluid reservoir. Ill give it to you if you want it and can pay the shipping.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

Name : Pat
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:08 pm

thanks that works for me just pm me when you are you are ready to get rid of it
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1984caprice
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't believe W body is a direct fit, no. And the problem with someone making a bar to fit our Rivs specifically, is that all our years seem to have slightly different fitments, based on the installation reports of the STS bar. Mine fit perfectly, OTHER than having to shim it with a couple washers. Holes were perfect. Some others have a problem with the bar being too high, and pushing their hoods up out of alignment.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Our suspension is WIIIIIDER than a W Body. Stuff made for the G Body fits though... (STS)
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Here's his issue though. I'd also prefer a perfect fit, but the STS bar will do for me.

BoattailBob wrote:

...........Ive never been happy with the way my STS bar fit and it looks like these brackets would be a better solution.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Oh okay. I missed that part. Is it only the '98 and '99 that have the easy bolt-down option? '97 had studs too?

Those do look like nice ones. You could always go to grainger and get longer eye-bolts if it weren't long enough...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Also a number of guys had bolt holes that were way off and some modifications or fabrication had to be done to install.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:11 pm

oops, I mixed up. I meant to say that about the BMR STB's in that other STB thread...
Back to top Go down
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:55 pm

[quote="1998 Riv"]Here's his issue though. I'd also prefer a perfect fit, but the STS bar will do for me.

The problem with mine was it was only being held on by about 2 threads on each bolt after stacking all the washers up.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 am

You're supposed to use longer bolts, not the stock ones. Or does the 97 have studs coming up from underneath? I don't recall what year that changed.
Back to top Go down
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 1:56 am

They come from underneath
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

Is it possible to replace them? I wouldn't care for the setup either, if only a few threads were available.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 am

Yeah, that's why the '95-'97 guys had to mangle the ends and slot the holes on the STS bar. For the '98-'99 it's a nice clean solution with longer bolts...

So a custom made job should be really easy to do, and fit better. See if he'll make a hundred or so! smile
Back to top Go down
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Im sure he would if he could sell em. Unfortunately Im in CA and he's in Chicago so it may not be as easy. Im sure we could figure something out. I may buy the ones for the regal and see how off they are.
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 11:54 am

I'm just south of Chicago would 96 and 97 be the same
Back to top Go down
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I believe 95-97 are the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Don Rome's shop is located at
4119 Luckie Court Zion, Illinois 60099. If you're at all close it may be worth the trip.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 pm

im about 1.5 hrs away any one closer
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 5:10 pm

The '95-'99 are all the same distance from tower to tower I believe, but the method of attachment needs to be different because the older ones ('95-'97) have studs coming up from underneath, the '98 and '99 have bolts down from the top.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Do it for the team, Whit2285!!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??   Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom STB..anyone in Chicago area??
Page 1 of 1