Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

THROTTLE body disassembly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

THROTTLE body disassembly Empty
PostSubject: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 8:16 pm

took a look under my hood to take it off but i saw some springs and throttle cables how hard is it really to take off and how dirty of a job is it surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 10:19 pm

the coolant is the only messy part. did you look behind the butterfly valve to see if there was much carbon? make sure you have a spare gasket b/c you will probably be scraping off the old one. the throttle cables do not need to come off to clean it but it makes it a little easier since you can move the TB out of the bay and work on it seperatly.

Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 pm

sry but i have been hearing about throttle body coolant could u explain to me more about this
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 pm

there is a coolant pasage below the throttle body that is suposed to help cool the TB and air entering the engine. as long as the engine is completly cool and you have a bucket under it you will not have too big of a mess. like with the t-stat, there really is no way to avoid a little spill, short of draining the entire system.
do not let any coolant back into the engine! if too much gets into the engine very bad things will happen and even a little bit of coolant residue could take the teflon off the rotors.
the passage/hole that holds the coolant is on the bottom of the TB and is sort of a rectangle shape. look at the gasket and you will see where it is.

Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
there is a coolant pasage below the throttle body that is suposed to help cool the TB and air entering the engine. as long as the engine is completly cool and you have a bucket under it you will not have too big of a mess. like with the t-stat, there really is no way to avoid a little spill, short of draining the entire system.
do not let any coolant back into the engine! if too much gets into the engine very bad things will happen and even a little bit of coolant residue could take the teflon off the rotors.
the passage/hole that holds the coolant is on the bottom of the TB and is sort of a rectangle shape. look at the gasket and you will see where it is.

scratch is anyone else confused as to how 200 deg. coolant would ever cool the intake air
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:06 pm

i just guessed as to why they had that passage there. its not prefered in race conditions which is why aftermarket companys make block off plates for the coolant passage in the TB. maybe the coolant would help regulate the temp in a stock car?? why else would it be there? if it were all metal then it would get hot(way above 200*) and have no way to cool down without cuting the car off right?
remember, the coolant is 200 but the engine is still alot hotter than that in parts.

Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 pm

a nope thats just u homie lmao grimace
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:09 pm

i hypothesize that it is used to heat the air for quicker warmups like a pre heater hose on carburated cars (which, just like you said is typically eliminated for performance purposes)
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:15 pm

ask jeeves is a hell of a guy

The coolant is there to keep ice from forming around the throttle butterflies but unless you live in Canada you probably don't need it. With this mod the engine will start fine, but it will idle a little lumpy until the engine warms up. I've never had my car stall even when starting it at temperatures below freezing. This mod will also simplify the coolant system flow.

http://robrobinette.com/throttle_body_coolant.htm
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 pm

i've heard not to do that mod for the same reason as the TB spacer. all the heat soak and metal = KR on a hot day in traffic.

Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 66

PostSubject: Re: THROTTLE body disassembly   THROTTLE body disassembly EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 am

yes, the coolant is to prevent ice formation, not to cool down the
TB. It is a popular modification with other cars (LT1, turbo
buicks), but I haven't heard about people doin it on the L67 powered
cars.

Some people swear by this mod and claim up to 6hp gains. I'm
sceptical about the amount, but have done it on my TR. It's easy,
cheap, and every little bit helps. It does not affect the way the
engine runs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Sponsored content