Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 Riviera A/C problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mtdew
Special

Merit : 0

95 Riviera A/C problem Empty
PostSubject: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

I had the blower control module go out awhile ago and got a supposed new one on the web but the design was slightly different then the original. It works and now the blower shut's off.
After a few days the passenger side would only blow cold air and sometimes the rear console. Now I am lucky if the passenger side will blow cold. I have taken out the glove box and removed the acuator to the left of the glove box but manually opening that will not guarentee cold air to blow.
I have tried to watch all 5 acutators while cycling through the modes and all move but 2 of them. The one on the left of the glove box and the one in the middle of the 3 to the left of the radio/climate control area. I moved these doors but it seemed to make hot air come out.
There is NO flashing anything on the control head and all the modes seem to cycle. A/C has good charge and compressor is clicking on. This is a 1995 and no controls on the steering wheel. Can you suggest some other test to do?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Turn on the AC, fan on max and set it at the lowest temperature possible...

....then put your girlfriend in the front seat and see if she "nips out".....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 pm

well son of a bitch....I jinxed myself....my AC just bit it....

*shakes fits at karma....immediately retracts it due to elbow pain*
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 pm

I'll see if I can find something in the Service Manual in the next few days and let you know. I do know everything has to be in the right position to operate correctly.
mtdew wrote:
There is NO flashing anything on the control head and all the modes seem to cycle. A/C has good charge and compressor is clicking on. This is a 1995 and no controls on the steering wheel. Can you suggest some other test to do?
From what I have experienced it doesn't flash when an actuator isn't working properly but it does if there is something disconnected from the system.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
mtdew
Special

PostSubject: RATS!!!!   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 pm

I took the car to another shop and they told me the compressor is bad. Although it is clicking on and off he showed me gauges hooked into the A/C line and he said the numbers we not what they should be.
I 'll find out tomorrow minus $600.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:14 am

mtdew wrote:
I took the car to another shop and they told me the compressor is bad. Although it is clicking on and off he showed me gauges hooked into the A/C line and he said the numbers we not what they should be.
I 'll find out tomorrow minus $600.

Umm what kind of gauges? Sounds like you may be getting hosed
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:15 pm

The compressor is the only part of the A/C I've ever seen fail. It's not surprising, and $600 is not outrageous for a shop to replace it.
Back to top Go down
mtdew
Special

PostSubject: Fixed now   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm

They replaced the compressor, accumulator bottle, orifice tube, flushed system, added dye for future tests(leaks) and recharged it and it came to $621. Ahhh nice and cold like it used to be!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Sounds like the right fix.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera A/C problem   95 Riviera A/C problem Empty

Back to top Go down

95 Riviera A/C problem
Page 1 of 1