Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

97 Riviera A/C problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
flyrv9
Special

Name : Bruce
Merit : 0

97 Riviera A/C problem Empty
PostSubject: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm

I have a Brother and Sister in law who have a 97 Riviera. I don't know any other details such as engine and options yet. Apparently it has an A/C problem where the A/C cycles off and on. I think from what they said that vibration and a loose connection, ground or relay somewhere is the problem. They live in the Phoenix area and I live in Kansas; however, I'll be headed out there tomorrow. Lucky me! I'd like to know if there are any common Riviera issues I should look into first. Also, where can I find a wiring diagram that covers this system. I've never played with a Riviera before and don't know the geography as to location of relays, fuses, etc. I think they have an owners manual; but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Keep in mind that it is quite normal for the compressor to cycle on and off, if that's what they mean. But follow AA's link for more info on other issues.
Back to top Go down
flyrv9
Special

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks fir the link. I'm in Arizona now and will be working on this today. I have also located the owners manual which should be some help.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Hey Bruce:

I don't know what your route is going to be going to Phoenix, BUT...if you're gonna be on
I-10, I live in Deming, NM. and I have the dealer service manuals that I will be happy to let you take a look at and if you will be coming back though here on your way back home, you are welcome to take them with you and just drop them off on your way back. Just a thought... smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Duh dunce Didn't notice that you're already there. However, I will be in Tucson later this evening and I can bring the manuals with me if you want to come down there. I will be at the Triple T truck stop on I-10 about 8:00 pm. I will go ahead and bring them with me just in case.
Back to top Go down
flyrv9
Special

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm

We flew here from Wichita. I have taken a look and it appears the blower isn't running at all. I figure I should be able to make it run on RECIRC or some setting on the control panel. I've been using the block diagrams provided by AA in the link above. I checked all the fuses in the block by the drivers door and all are good. I removed the blower and blower resistor. There is no 12V going to the blower connector. I'm guessing it has to pass through the resister. I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking; and I can see the blower door opening with the blower removed. The blower meter turns freely.

I checked the resister with a meter, but don't know what values I should have between the 4 pins. Here is what I have in case anyone knows. (Note - contacts are not numbered - there are two areas that the two plugs from the car go to. One area (the smaller one) has only one pin - the other area has 3 pins.

Red wire (contact to small connector) to Purple wire contact in big connector is 0. .9M ohms.

Black wire (contact to large connector) to Brown wire with black stripe in large connector is 6M ohms. Everything else reads open.

Also, the pin the purple wire connects to reads a short to the case of the transistor.

BTW the motor reads about 1 ohm when not turning. If I spin it by hand the value changes some.

That's what I know so far.

Thanks for the offer Dave - that's very nice of you. Since my time is limited, I think I'll pass for now.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

No Problem Bruce...ANYTIME !!! I hope you get it figured out smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 97 Riviera A/C problem   97 Riviera A/C problem Empty

Back to top Go down

97 Riviera A/C problem
Page 1 of 1