Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Please Help Power windows

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lucas
Enthusiast

Merit : 1

Please Help Power windows Empty
PostSubject: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 pm

are there separate fuses for the drivers side and passenger side windows? my drivers side is fine, the passenger side worked al day today, untill i got in a few hours ago, now it wont go down, i dont think its the motor, because it has been working perfect till now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gesues
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 11:59 pm

i dunno off the top of my head, but i would check the fuse box by the driver side door and the ones under the back seat. the fuse box under the hood doesnt have any fuse dealing with the windows. if all of that checks out ok then let me know. the other problems could be the main switch on the drivers door, the passenger switch, the window motor, a relay, or a break in a wire.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:12 am

This happened to my son & his girlfriend, they took my Riv for a 'joyride' (with permission) to an amusement park a few weeks ago. All of a sudden passenger window stops working.

In my case the fix was to replace the motor unit. Dealer told me this is a known but infrequent problem on high mileage cars - the mechanic (Doug) knew what it most likely was when I called for advice. They replaced it for me with a Cardone remanufactured unit (my choice between Cardone and Delco, Delco would take too long to get) for under $300, so if you DIY you probably can do the deed for under $100.

I know it sounds screwy, but yes when the motor goes it dies all of a sudden. Just be glad yours did not die in down position. If I am not mistaken the issue is these are permanent magnet motors, the magnets are glued not riveted in place, and when (NOT "if") the glue finally lets go they quit all of a sudden, or only move an inch or so at a time before overheating and tripping the window circuit's self-resetting breaker.

The Cardone motor is kind of a universal unit, it has a plastic can and is much quieter and runs a bit slower than the OE Delco, which has a metal can. I have no idea about relative durability.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Enthusiast

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:18 am

thanks alot Albert, i have a commercial account with Delcoline, so i should be able to get this motor fairly cheap. i'll let you know how I fair.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gesues
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 9:10 am

I just had my drivers side switch die. I put the window down on my way home from work and it wouldn't go back up. Clouds form, rain on the way... frown

I took the door panel off, switch out, then disassembled the switch, cleaned the contacts and reversed the rocker switch, and put it back together so it should last another 5 years or so before I really do need a new switch. Raindrops started falling as I got the rebuilt switch back in place... smile whew!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Derek: Sometimes with those switches you can 'cheat' and restore the contacts by tinning the contact parts with regular solder. Technically this increases the resistance of the switch. Howver, in such an application the increase is not significant and the tin alloy does not corrode in a problematic way.

Lucas: that motor may price out as low as $30 or $40, which is what the Cardone goes for. Check motor speed and torque, as different speed motors fit the same application. Also, Delco/GM may not list the motor separate from the regulator and frame.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Power windows   Please Help Power windows Empty

Back to top Go down

Please Help Power windows
Page 1 of 1